Topic: Playing along a harmonica

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster...

I've been looking for this answer for a while but I don't really understand the information given to me.. I have no music schooling at all, I've played the guitar for 2 years, Feel at home there, but I don't know jack about music theory... And I wanna play along with my brother on the harmonica, I know a few tunes but what I really want to know is how to make it sound good with backup guitar..

The Harmonica is in a C-Key, and I want to know what key my brother should play guitar in, and How to transpose a song into that key..

Also, What chords go well with a C-key harmonica?

Sorry if this has already been answered a million times...

Thank you, Numri.

I'll put em in my pants, and i'll do a little dance...

Re: Playing along a harmonica

numri a C harmonica sounds good if your playing the blues but instead of blowing out you draw the air in and your brother playes in the key of G major using the chords G C D B Am and Em, if your just mostly blowing out use the chords C F G Am Dm and you can also use a E major,they also make chromatic harmonicas the ones with the button you push to change the notes 1/2 step up or down the word chromatic means half steps smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

numri wrote:

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster...

I've been looking for this answer for a while but I don't really understand the information given to me.. I have no music schooling at all, I've played the guitar for 2 years, Feel at home there, but I don't know jack about music theory... And I wanna play along with my brother on the harmonica, I know a few tunes but what I really want to know is how to make it sound good with backup guitar..

The Harmonica is in a C-Key, and I want to know what key my brother should play guitar in, and How to transpose a song into that key..

Also, What chords go well with a C-key harmonica?

Sorry if this has already been answered a million times...

Thank you, Numri.

Numri,
Welcome to Chordie first off. You've stated that you're new to music and the application thereof. Given this information let's keep it simple and basic.

You have a C harmonica. Therefore the songs to get you started should be in the key of  C. A good,simple progression such as C, G, F will be good to begin with. (like Helpless by Neil Young)
When you get bored with this move on to a C Am F G progression. Relax as you play your harp an do the best you can to blend in with, and not 'overplay' . Many times less is better. Start with a few good notes here and there. Don't drown a tune with too many notes. Color a tune with your harp, don't spray paint all over the entire canvas of a tune.......

As you improve and progress we can get into the 'cross harp'(G draw C blow) theory and application thereof..... Stick with the basics to start. Have fun, enjoy the jams...... crawl then walk, walk then run............

Give everything but up.

The application of theory to the harmonica are addressed very well by a couple books by David Harp.  I mean, how can you not trust a guy named Harp on the subject of harmonicas?  Anyway, the first is a guitar case sized book called "Music Theory Made Easy", available from Amazon.  The second is "Instant Blues Harmonica"  - hint: it's not really instant. 

Anyway, both books are very useful for understanding how to apply the harmonica to both lead licks and backup.  He covers the difference between straight harp (which is played in the key of the harmonica) and cross harp (which is played in the fifth of the key of the harmonica).  He lays it out a little bit at a time, in easily digested chunks, and builds your knowledge much more quickly than you'd expect. 

Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty play mostly straight harp.  Sonny Terry, Huey Lewis, Bruce Willis (yeah THAT Bruce Willis) play mostly cross harp.  Neither is right, wrong, better, or harder.  I prefer straight harp for myself most of the time. 

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to pull out my books and brush up on my harmonica playing.  I've let it languish for a few years.  I've got a felt sack full of harmonicas that taste like Crown Royal and macanudos.  Time to clean them up and play them. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have a C moothy ( mouth organ) too

I cannot play it too good but I try to along with my mate when he is playing Johnny Cash's " boy naed sue" ,it is easy to do. A few wee short blasts on the thing and it goes along exellent, but if you can play it and can make a tune then it would sound better.

Also if when on the guitar it is usually wit hthe chord G, if you put a capo on the 5th fret, it could well possibly sound like C.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Even the very, very best get the wrong key harmonica..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE

Quite amusing to start and then he performs one of the purest and best live performances I have aver seen!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Man, I can't believe this topic has come up!

I was strolling around yesterday while listening to my iPod. Heart of Gold was in my ears and I was thinking that I must check out what harmonicas are all about. I knew they were in different keys but have never played one seriously. My new mission was to find out a bit about them and what's the best key to start with etc.

I fall on to Chordie today and this topic is the first I see cool  Is the universe trying to tell me something? .... (spooky voice)..... Alvee...... get yerself... a.... moothie...

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I'd definitely go with a G harp to start. Heart of Gold is played with G harp(by Neil at least). I've tried 10 or so different brands and the Hohner Special 20 seems to be the easiest to play and lasts longer than any other brand, for me at least.
         Careful with this harmonica taste, it can lead to addiction and lots of $$$(haha).

You'll also wanna get yourself a halo, or harmonica holder, so you can play guitar and harp together. I'm gonna recommend the Hohner halo. I've used less expensive halos but they wear out in no time. The Hohner halo usually costs around $15. I play almost every night and mine(halos) last me around 3-4 years, unless they get stepped on by some silly drunk guy(me! heha)

Peace and Guitars and Harmonicas,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments.. the good thing about my harmonica is that it's a 2-row harmonica and 20 holes wide (holes go draw/blow/draw/blow and so on..) So its like a regular 10holer but wider. Separates them a bit from eachother so i dont have to worry about blowing 4 notes at a time tongue

I don't really have alot of "harmonica inspirations" right now. I dont listen to alot of harmonica-playing musicians. but i like the fact that it's a good instrument to bring with you, and when you're chilling on the beach theres no better compliment to the accoustic guitar.

There was a swedish musician called Cornelis vreeswijk. And his music is just perfect to play on a harmonica along a guitar. I'll have to make a youtube vid someday tongue

Anyway, i also have a melody maker harmonica, i read it was great for beginners but its actually confusing me because the scale is way different. i learned to play along to House of the rising sun with this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj_3EyHs4ck) including the improvisation at the end, so i dont think i'm completly hopeless.. My most questions have been answered and i feel very welcome here smile

Do you guys think i should get a G harp? I somehow got the idea that C was the key you could play "most songs" (a terrible term).

What about Chromatics? Do they just go a Halfstep down/up? I got the idea they had many different keys... I should do my homework :S maybe i should try one of those....

What I want to achieve with my playing is mostly, improvisation along some acoustic chords to make it sound mellow and possible get a melody out of it.. I have no intention of starting a big band and go to the stage tongue Just for my own and my closest environment enjoyment..

Sorry this post is a bit long... I was watching some music video with Rihanna on mtv..... she's very distracting.. and with the Mute on it's actually quite enjoyable.... big_smile

anyway, Thanks smile
Numri.

tl;dr Hi!

Chromatics allow you to play an entire scale, sharps and flats.  Diatonics miss a few.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  The kind with the button on the side let you play entire scales with sharps and flats, the kind without a button on the side don't.  You can "bend" notes to pick up a few flats.  That's an intermediate technique at which I am only spotty.  You kind of have to swallow the note to do it, which is as good of a description as I can give even though I expect that it's entirely worthless. 

The kind that don't have complete scales DO have complete "blues scales", which is what makes them popular for blues.  Especially those that are specifically keyed for the playing blues.   They're also useful for Country, because most country uses a pentatonic scale rather than a complete scale for riffing.  Rock mostly uses a pentatonic scale based on the blues scale rather than the major scale.  All of these are playable on a standard harmonica. 

The jazz players use the kind with the button on the side because they need all the notes to play arpeggios and riff on those crazy jazz chords.  Or some of them play multiple harmonicas at once, where they'll jump from one harmonica to another in mid-riff to pick up a few notes that they need.  That's a crazy good harmonica player there.  Saw one guy who could do The Orange Blossom Special like that - and speed race a fiddle player doing it.  Very cool.

Anyway.  The kind with 10 holes and no button in "C" and "G" will get you far. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

damn zurf, if i could kiss you i would. All the hostility towards beginners has made me afraid to ask things. Got home today and waiting for my bro to get home see if we can riff something out. dont have a halo so can't do it myself..

Maybe i should just get myself a program that you can just set the chord progress and the BPM and then just improvise along to it to feel more at home on the harmonica smile

Also, What would you say is the best way to get a clean note out of it? I haven't really got the toungeblocking tech working, seeing how i'm not entirely sure how to do it, and I'm not really keen on slabbering all over my instruments.

I pretty much do the whole puckering thing, but i'm a loudmouth so it's hard to get it accurate tongue Tips are appreciated, I've watched alot of youtube videos to try and get the techniques done but either they're bad at explaining or I'm just not getting it right...

Sorry for another wall of text!

love, Numri

Careful with the chromatic harpoons if you have herbiage around the mouth - as some of us do.

Using the chromatic slide can trap a tendrill or two and you can either wrench the hairs out of your 'tasche or be left with a half pound of harmonica swining from your lip.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Haha, I've experienced that quite some... and i've only got minor lip adornements!

numri wrote:

Maybe i should just get myself a program that you can just set the chord progress and the BPM and then just improvise along to it to feel more at home on the harmonica smile

Also, What would you say is the best way to get a clean note out of it? I haven't really got the toungeblocking tech working, seeing how i'm not entirely sure how to do it, and I'm not really keen on slabbering all over my instruments.

On the first thing, if you come across such a program, please post.  That would be wonderfully useful for practice.  I've been wanting to figure out how to use the recorder thingy I've got so that I can lay down some 12 bar blues strums to practice harmonica and bass riffs to.

I'm a puckerer.  I never have got the hang of the tongue blocking.  Some say it's easier, but I just wind up with a harmonica full of spit.  It takes some practice to build the muscles for a good pucker.  You'll be getting two or three holes for a while.  Your first big "HEY COOL MAYBE THIS WILL WORK OUT!!" moment is when you get a good clean single note.  It takes a while.  Stick with it.  Same as a horn player, you need to get those lip and cheek muscles tuned to a new and relatively un-natural shape and feel.  What I used to do is to practice at traffic lights in heavy traffic during my commute. 

The next big moment is when you remember to switch suck and blow for a decent scale when you get to the seventh hole.  Or is it sixth.  I forget until I get a harp in hand and start playing along. 

Above all, don't try and be Sonny Terry in five minutes.  Just relax and have a good time learning something new.   

- Zurf

Well, you can do it in guitar pro, however i'm not familiar enough with the program to succeed, also it's a very expensive program, so unless you wanna violate copyrights that should be your backup plan.

there was a tutorial over at ultimate guitar on how to make your own drum track with FL studio... I'm not sure on chordies cross-site linking rules. but if you google for fl backing track ultimate guitar you get it at the top of the results smile

I've been puckering and blowing all day, so im a bit out of air now and gonna play some guitar for a while... but i think its coming along..

numri wrote:

Well, you can do it in guitar pro, however i'm not familiar enough with the program to succeed, also it's a very expensive program, so unless you wanna violate copyrights that should be your backup plan.

there was a tutorial over at ultimate guitar on how to make your own drum track with FL studio... I'm not sure on chordies cross-site linking rules. but if you google for fl backing track ultimate guitar you get it at the top of the results smile

I've been puckering and blowing all day, so im a bit out of air now and gonna play some guitar for a while... but i think its coming along..

Hey Numri,

For an alternative to GuitarPro, you should check out TuxGuitar. It's basically a open-source (free) version of GuitarPro which also plays PowerTab files as well. I wrote a topic in the Chat Corner if you need the link to the website.

17 (edited by numri 2009-02-09 23:02:31)

installing it right away, If it's helpful I'll send you a gold-bar....out of chocolate

*edit* Wow! tux guitar works great! I can import both both ptb and gtp tabs, inc. gp3,gp4 and gp5 big_smile

This is an amazing program, As soon as i'll get more comfy with it i'll write a tutorial on how to make your own backing track

As far as Transposing songs to match your harmonica,...may I suggest this site...

http://logue.net/xp/

numri wrote:

installing it right away, If it's helpful I'll send you a gold-bar....out of chocolate

*edit* Wow! tux guitar works great! I can import both both ptb and gtp tabs, inc. gp3,gp4 and gp5 big_smile

This is an amazing program, As soon as i'll get more comfy with it i'll write a tutorial on how to make your own backing track

lol glad it worked out for you! How bout a chocolate bar out of gold instead ? tongue

20 (edited by blznsdls 2009-05-22 19:20:56)

Hi all, thought I'd toss in my two cents on harmonica accompaniment for guitar.

Here's a cool tip for finding the right key for playing cross harp: start with whatever key your harmonica is in, and then count up four whole notes.

For example if you have a harp in C, counting up four notes gives you G -- C, D, E, F, G   using G as your root chord, try playing a 12-bar blues progression using the I, IV, V format. In this case G, C, and D

You can do it in reverse, too. If the song is in E, for example, count back four whole steps to A. So the chords are E, A, and B (I, IV, V) and you should select an A harp

Without getting into too much music theory, the root chord (or tonic) is position I, position IV is the subdominant chord (the key your harp should be in), and position V is the dominant chord.

blznsdls,

Many thanks for that. Great 1st post.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

numri - to accompany C-key harmonica - 2 easiest choices are:  Guitar in C.  C harp:  4blow (degree I); 5draw(degree IV); 6blow(degree V).  Resolve verse (finish) with 4blow.  Pretty easy because DO RE MI FA SO LA TI DO are found in holes 4-7.  This is first 'position' (also called straight harp).  Second choice:  Guitar in G.  C harp:  2draw(I), 4draw(IV), 4blow(V).  Resolve with 2draw.  This is second position (also called cross-harp).  Unfortunately, the harp player will need to study up.  The harmonica has been called the easiest instrument to play and the hardest to master.  Check out this link:  http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/.  Chromatic harps (with button):  each note is raised one semi-tone (sharped) when button is pushed in.  Don't know of one that flats with button.

Been playing harp for some time now, no theory to speak of, I collected all the blues records I got my hands on and learned harp by listening and trying to imulate harp players like Sonny Terry, James Cotton, Junior Wells and my faveorite Sonny Boy Williamson. Drove my parents mad as I would stay in my room all day trying to sound the same as the recording . Today it comes very easy and is a great tool at a kitchen party. My suggestion would be
get your hands on all the blues records you can. Every journey is different.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Very wise, Grasshopper.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I cannot play it too good but I try to along with my mate when he is playing Johnny Cash's " boy naed sue" ,it is easy to do. A few wee short blasts on the thing and it goes along exellent, but if you can play it and can make a tune then it would sound better.