Topic: Grand Slam.

Sorry Phill, lol

I hope ya didn't lose your shirt on Wales ?. It was a great ole Buzz for us i must say. First time  to win since 1948 ?

I did think we were on a loser in the first half. But such sweet joy in the second half. it was a fantastic game
of rugby.  Dublin city had a great atmosphere last night. We all went to " Yamamori" great restaurant on the quays in Dublin.
Highly recommend it to visitors.

We also had a world title in Boxing, The brilliant Bernard Dunne.

We also sold out completely of flowers  yesterday for Mothers Day , so a treble grandslam. lol

Recession ? What recession lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Grand Slam.

lol

Good on yer men on doing it Lena, was a fantastic game to watch.
They have won since 1948 but they have not done the grand slam since then. they won the tournament then known as the 5 nations in 1985, 1974, 1982, 1948, 1949 and 1951
they jointly won it with France in 1983 and also the only time it has been a five way tie with all nations participating was in 1973.
it was uncomplete in 1972 after Scotland and Wales refused to play in Dublin.

ok enough of the rugby history lol
Well done to them and I hope all the irish enjoyed their celebrations last night, today, tomorrow, tuesday, wednesday, etc lol

It has been 10 years since Scotland won it, 10 years too long!!

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

A brilliant way to win the Grand Slam! What a feeling it must've been to be sitting behind the posts when that drop kick went over. Fantastic!

Now to get on your bad side...... we never got my mother flowers this year. We got and arrangement of fruit that was cut to look like flowers. It was amazing looking. I think flowers would've lasted longer smile

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

yes!  what a feeling to be sitting anywhere when that ball hit home.
i near jumped my drawers with delight.

Ive seen those carvings Alvee.

I actually had a watermelon carved for my sister for her 50th birthday in the shapes of roses. they are amazing  to see, but need constant refridgeration to last.

Flowers do last longer.

Support a florist [ MoĆ­ ] lol

Old Doll.

I was working Saturday and just got back in time for the match. We had welsh participants over for the day and I opened the meeting wishing everyone a good day, unless they were welsh - in which case I would wish them a good day after the match. It was all good fun.

Watched the game with my daughter, both of us were up to high dough by the end. I had to take a walk to calm down. Jones final penalty attempt had me walking around the coffee table thinking we had thrown it away.

It's been an incredible week for my daughter - her school rugby team won the Schools cup (u18) and the Medallion (u16), she sang for the school at Belfast's Waterfront hotel mid-week and then the Grand-slam - AND she's off to see Snow Patrol tonight. That's the kind of week you like to see come around once in a while!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

6 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-03-23 08:09:03)

Well done the Irish!
For all those who made it over here, it was a great day in the City.
We'll win it back next year though, don't worry. smile

Just curious about the term "Grand Slam."

It comes from American Baseball (the greatest game ever) meaning a batter hits a home run (swats the ball out of the park) while all three bases have runners, scoring four points.

How is the term used over on the other side of the pond?  From whence does it stem?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

8 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-03-23 19:01:26)

jerome.oneil wrote:

Just curious about the term "Grand Slam."

It comes from American Baseball (the greatest game ever) meaning a batter hits a home run (swats the ball out of the park) while all three bases have runners, scoring four points.

How is the term used over on the other side of the pond?  From whence does it stem?

In this context (Rugby Union Football) and the 6 Nations Trophy, it means that the team wins the Grand Slam that beats all the other 5 nations. In this case: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy. Ireland won all their matches and so win the Trophy. Wales did the same last year.

Good question Jerome !

I have asked some of the loyal rugby followers here . WHA ? was the answer !  Ah, will ya goway, and stop annoin us, we won it didnt we ? who cares! now away wit ya, and let us enjoy our boozy hazy  glorious  grand slam hangovers.

have i the answer ? No lol

But to quote " Huw Richards" It is no fluke, then, that the term 'Grand Slam' was coined in 1957 to greet England's all-four of that year. Since then only 12 of the 27 teams who have won the Triple Crown - and none of the five Irish XVs - have been capable of turning the Crown into a Slam".

[ Teehee . He needs to change that piece fast.]

Grand Slam" is a bridge term for winning all of the tricks in a hand. It come into sport first through Golf to honour the achievement of Bobby Jones in winning all of the then four golf majors in one season i.e The Open and Amateur championships and their US equivalents. It was then adopted by other sports including Tennis and it would seem Baseball for similar achievements.

Ps. Jerome ! How can your baseball  team win  a "World Series " ? when its only held in the USA ?.

Old Doll.

Old Doll wrote:

Good question Jerome !

I have asked some of the loyal rugby followers here . WHA ? was the answer !  Ah, will ya goway, and stop annoin us, we won it didnt we ? who cares! now away wit ya, and let us enjoy our boozy hazy  glorious  grand slam hangovers.

have i the answer ? No lol

But to quote " Huw Richards" It is no fluke, then, that the term 'Grand Slam' was coined in 1957 to greet England's all-four of that year. Since then only 12 of the 27 teams who have won the Triple Crown - and none of the five Irish XVs - have been capable of turning the Crown into a Slam".

[ Teehee . He needs to change that piece fast.]

Grand Slam" is a bridge term for winning all of the tricks in a hand. It come into sport first through Golf to honour the achievement of Bobby Jones in winning all of the then four golf majors in one season i.e The Open and Amateur championships and their US equivalents. It was then adopted by other sports including Tennis and it would seem Baseball for similar achievements.

Ps. Jerome ! How can your baseball  team win  a "World Series " ? when its only held in the USA ?.

Old Doll.

Bobby Jones won the Grand Slam in 1930, but professional baseball has been around since the 1870s.  The 1st World Series grand slam was in 1920, so the term predates that.   I didn't know it was a cribbage term.  I'll check into that.

And we call it the World Series because it's the greatest game in the world!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Geatest game in the world! I think not! If by world you mean USA then fine but no other country in the real world plays it.

Now I've lit the fuse I'll retreat a few hundred metres and watch the fireworks. wink

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??