Topic: Help with a song

Hello friends!  So... there's this song that I did for a competition solo years ago with a piano... I looked it up and come to find out it's an old folk song (not sure if it's Irish or Scottish ... apparently there's some debate about that).  Anyhow, the folk version is VERY different than the version I learned... but I'd like to find a way to meld the two and do "my version".  So here's my problem...

C

It doesn't fit!  Here's the link to the song here on Chordie:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … ranspose=0

This is *kind of* the way I learned it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFApa21pH0U 

The C doesn't feel right in the song... seems like it should be "higher"... like the G... but I don't really want to play the G and not have the different lines differentiated.  Also... I don't know if I am totally doing the E7 wrong or what but an open E sounds better.

BTW... if there's any one out there (Alvee... Old Doll... ) that KNOWS how this song is supposed to sound in it's original form (oh, and can you clear it up... is it Irish or Scottish?) and you can point me to a youtube video, I would GREATLY appreciate it!  I hear a lot of similarities but they're all a touch different too (especially the WORDS).  THANK YOU!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

2 (edited by bensonp 2010-03-27 20:15:20)

Re: Help with a song

Try this different version.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/c … ur_crd.htm

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by Stonebridge 2010-03-28 08:01:32)

Hi there mekidsmom.
I've worked out the chords in the Youtube version. This is what they play on that;
The chordie chords are not quite what I'm hearing on YouTube
it's in Bm on Youtube. Play it in Am with capo on 2 if you want it in the same key.
/ / means 2 slow beats
Am// Am/G //  G // G // Am //
Am// G// F// G//
Am// F// Am// F/ E/ Am//

The second chord Am/G is Am with a G in the bass.

Stonebridge... thank you!  I think I can work with that... maybe change a little to suit what I am looking for.  I REALLY appreciate you figuring this out for me!  I especially appreciate that you found chords I can do and add the capo!  smile 

BTW... I found my sheet music and it does have chords listed above the staff of...

Eflat, Cm, F7, Bflat,
Gm, Eflat,
Dm, Gm, Cm, Gm,
EflatMaj7, Cm7

with Bflat and Eflat throughout the melody

I am assuming those are piano chords, since this is a solo voice and piano arrangement... but I don't know if that helps at all.  I think I'll try what you've written out here for me Stonebridge... no worries trying to figure it out further, this works!  Thank you again!

Oh... I found some doing it on youtube based on my version I have here... It's by John Jacob Niles if anyone wants to look up the piano (Americanized) version that I learned.

I like this version its nice and easy to play. Capo Ist fret I suppose its Bbm or Am shape

Am   F     G    Am
        F     G     Em
       F      G      Am
       F      G      Am

I never thought that C And E worked. It stays the sam the whole way through the song. Christy Moore your only man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBNmU4Gy58

Hi mekidsmom,
I promise to get to this tomorrow for you. Love and know the song very well..

We have gone forward an hour tonight. Its way past my bedtime.

I have different links for this song.
Hers one for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8MO3r72KI

But ill get back.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi mekidsmom,
The video you provided has me hearing B minor, A and G. It could modulate down to A minor, G and F.
Lena's link is easier to hear. I hope it is the song you wish. It goes:

INTRO: Bm, A, Bm
VERSE 1: G,A,BM,A,Bm  G,A,Bm
G,A, F#m, G,A,Bm,A,Bm
VERSE 2: I love my love:G,A,Bm,A,Bm
G,A,F#m  G,A,Bm,A,Bm
Black is the colour:
G,A,Bm,A,Bm G,A,F#m
G,A,F#m, G,A,Bm,A,Bm
CHORDS OVER THE SOLO:
G,A,Bm,A,Bm  G,A,F#m  G,A,F#m,G,A,Bm,A,Bm
VERSE3 Black is the colour:
G,A,Bm,A,Bm        G,A,F#m
G,A,F#m  G,A,Bm,A,Bm
              G,A,Bm
Can be played with a capo on the second fret or:
modulate down 2 frets.
G=F,A=G,Bm=Am,F#m=Em
Rock on,girl.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

8 (edited by Stonebridge 2010-03-28 08:03:56)

mekidsmom wrote:

Stonebridge... thank you!  I think I can work with that... maybe change a little to suit what I am looking for.  I REALLY appreciate you figuring this out for me!  I especially appreciate that you found chords I can do and add the capo!  smile 

BTW... I found my sheet music and it does have chords listed above the staff of...

Eflat, Cm, F7, Bflat,
Gm, Eflat,
Dm, Gm, Cm, Gm,
EflatMaj7, Cm7

with Bflat and Eflat throughout the melody

I am assuming those are piano chords, since this is a solo voice and piano arrangement... but I don't know if that helps at all.  I think I'll try what you've written out here for me Stonebridge... no worries trying to figure it out further, this works!  Thank you again!

Oh... I found some doing it on youtube based on my version I have here... It's by John Jacob Niles if anyone wants to look up the piano (Americanized) version that I learned.

There were typos on mine, and those two first A chords in the last line should have been Am not A. I've changed them now.

Amy, here is a link to the Wikipedia info on this song includin a list of all the artistes that have recorded it starting with Burl Ives in 1944: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Is_the_Colour

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Wowsers mekidsmom,

Your laughing now i bet with all the choices here. Heres another for you.

Dm            Bb     C                    Dm
Black is the colour   of my true love's hair
              Bb   C             Dm   A
Her lips are like   some roses fair
              Bb    C                   Dm
The sweetest smile   and the gentlest hands
             Bb    C              Dm
I love the ground   whereon she stands

Bb   C               Dm
I love my love   and well she knows
            Bb     C              Dm   A
I love the ground   whereon she goes
             Bb C              Dm
I hope the day   will one day come
             Bb C            Dm
When she and I   will be as one

Bb    C                   Dm
I go to the Clyde   for to mourn and weep
          Bb   C             Dm   A
For satisfied   I never can be
             Bb      C                   Dm
I write her letters,  just a few short lines
            Bb    C             Dm
And suffer death   a thousand times

My musician friend plays it like this.
Dm --> Am
  Bb -->
C --> G
A --> E.

I lost the E in my vocal range many years ago because of a growth. So i fiddle around with chords and capo to most songs to suit.
I keep it as simple as possible as i dont possess the talent other chordians have, Boohoo.

Here's a link also for you.  Bright blue Rose is a beautiful song i know you would do justice to this Jimmy McCarty song. I personally love to sing and play this one.
http://martindardis.com/bright_blue_ros … moore.html

There's loads of stuff on this link for Irish and Scottish songs. Save to fave's.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

11 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-28 13:36:46)

Amy,

Colours by Donovan is a song my daughter Maria and I used to sing and it is a good one for get togethers. Don't know if Donovan was thinking of Black is the Color or the history but we liked to sing and play his version ,from a CD I had. I couldn't find a youtube clip like the recording , but Here's one with Donovan and Joan Baez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78bSONmi … re=related

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … olours.crd

Later, Wayne P

Holy Crows!  smile  And this is why I love Chordie so much!  Thank you sooo much everyone!  I just printed out this entire thread (7 pages!  LOL)... and I'll be sure to figure something out for this that will work with all your help!  Absolutely fantastic!  I'll check out the links when I have a bit more time... just hopped on for a minute here.  Thank you all again!

Well... I am officially encouraged to learn how to play a Bb and Bm now (and they finally look attainable for me!), but until I get those down well I think I attempt to will play this...

Intro: (F G)
Am F G Am
F G Em
F G Am
F G Am (G Am)

The G and Am at the end are between verses... I'm not 100% yet... I might change it a little, but I think that's where I'm headed right now.  Every one that listened to the song and posted was very similar, and I am really IMPRESSED at how all of you were able to just listen to the song and figure out the chords in there.  I hope to be able to train my ears like that someday!  AWESOME!

As I am going back through, I see that John Somer basically posted these same chords (minus the intro and two chords between verses)!  THANK YOU!  Thank you for hopping on the forum and jumping right in!  WELCOME TO CHORDIE JOHN!

I love all the links too!  Roger... I was excited to read the Wiki on this... only sad there wasn't more info about the origins, so I guess it's a Scottish song then?  "To the Clyde to Mourn and Weep" ... in my Americanized version it's "To Troublesome to Mourn and Weep" ... I looked up info and it appears there's a creek in KY named Troublesome Creek.

Old Doll and Wayne... those are BEAUTIFUL songs!  Thank you for the suggestions (even though I think Wayne said no more hints for me!  ha ha ha!  wink)

Thank you again everyone for your help!  I got this song recorded with my H2 and just uploaded on YouTube.