Topic: Tone

I'm trying to get a tone similar to Clapton during his Cream era, White Room, Badge, that sort of thing.

I'm using a Mex Strat through my practise amp (Marshall MG15CDR) and only have one pedal to me name, a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah.

It feels like I've twiddled my pots and amp settings through every conceivable setting and still aint nowhere near it. Does anyone have any advice on how best to achieve this sort of tone? maybe I need another pedal or something? 

All advice appreciated. Hanx.

Craig

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Re: Tone

When Clapton started with Cream he was playing a Gibson Les Paul, when he finished it was a Gibson SG. Second your Marshall practice amp will give a fine modern Marshall sound but EC had some of the very first Marshall amps and these sounded different. Not alot of pedals used originally either.

Best way to get the tone without buying a vintage stack is a Line 6 Pod or a Behringer Vamp2. Pretty sure the latter has a 'Blues Breaker' preset and later Clapton soundalikes, lots of highly bluesworthy presets too, that's even before you settle on the actual amp models.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanx for that Cytania. 

I've been looking at the Line 6 Pods, may just spring for one, buying a vintage stack is a bit of a no no when you live in an Appt. though! smile 

Cheers for the heads up on the lack of pedals as well.  smile

Craig

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

I'm not familar with your amp but after looking it up and seeing a picture I would try this...hope it works for you... Strat P/U front with volume maxed and no tone setting. Amp...Gain about 3/4 and set volume. Bass all the way and mid all the way with very little treble. Hopefully that will give you a deep blues tone with a little saturation with out getting a muddy sound. If too much saturation then back off the gain and add volume...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.