Re: What's the hardest chord you ever encountered?

wannabefun wrote:

i saw a really freeking ugly chord (in my opinion) a few days ago, was something like a... donno... D#m7/Bb
not only does it sound terrible to play, it IS tongue

e  3
B  0
G  3
D  3
A  -
E  3

think it was something like this,... how am i supposed to play that when i gotta keep the A-sting out? tongue plz, hints, tips, alwayts welcome.. been playing for half a year now, can hardly do anny barré cords 2, so tips about that are also very useful

Use you'r thumb to blay the low G and your pointer to play the rest. Eiser said than Done.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

I used to have the proper g when i was just starting, i played easy g which was XX001, twas pretty pathetic

i´m playing for 6 months now and still cant play F smile also the 7 chords resist me just cant seem to stretch my pinky enough

Trippy, DON'T GIVE UP ON THE F!!"  I'll never forget the first time I strummed an F and it wasn't all muted and nasty sounding, I kept my fingers on the strings, and ran downstairs to "play" for my wife...then I didn't want to take my fingers off the neck because I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it again!  I printed out Bob Seager's "Night Moves" and played that G F C progression a million times--sliding the F down to the third fret to get your G...and slowly but surely, I got it & you will too.

i hope so, i guess all have to practice more on that f and it will come just like the others did  smile

wannabefun wrote:

i saw a really freeking ugly chord (in my opinion) a few days ago, was something like a... donno... D#m7/Bb
not only does it sound terrible to play, it IS tongue

e  3
B  0
G  3
D  3
A  -
E  3

think it was something like this,... how am i supposed to play that when i gotta keep the A-sting out? tongue plz, hints, tips, alwayts welcome.. been playing for half a year now, can hardly do anny barré cords 2, so tips about that are also very useful

You use 1st finger for sixth string, and with that finger you also mute the A string

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Dear worm(proof), nice nick name, do you live in the USA or Europe, sorry, just a personal question.
The chord you mentioned is a very hard one, more it is just played for a very short period, and followed by a B7 chord, it is the famous Ebdim7 chord which is indeed very hard to play.
In most of the cases, when I encounter a chord like that, I first try to skip it, meaning that I don't play THAT chord and in 90% of the cases, where you see a chord like that, it will not harm the song if you play it. However, it is not for nothing that that chord is there, it will in most of the cases, just add a little bit more performing the song. I suggest to see the songs by Paul Simon, Elton John, because a lot of songs are written, or composed, using a piano or keyboard, and those are sometimes almost impossible to play. Another thing is that the song is often written for the "VOICE of THE PERSON WHO SINGS IT", for example, if you hear the voice of James Blunt, compared to Rod Stewart, it will be different. However, I have the complete Beatles collection in a book, and I am really scared to open it, because a lot of songs contain very almost impossible to play chords. I do agree that when you play in a cover band, the shadows, the beatles and you can read music and notes it is indeed a must. If you skip that Eb chord while playing and singing my sweet lord, I don't think that people will notice it. If you look for songs on this SUPER site, you have the possibility of TRANSPOSE chords. This is how I work, I look for a song and yes I found it, and not in tab form, but with chords on top. I see a lot of # or b, and difficult chords, I transpose them, one semitone higher or lower and you will notice often that you can play that pattern, without changing the song. It fits you to play and to sing.
I hope I could give you some help.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

hey gitaardocphil,

yes, my screenname is actually taken from a sticker that was on a fishing tackle box when i was a kid (what does a worm proof tackle box protect against lol)

I'm from the US, Ohio actually

I did the same thing with that chord at first, but then I found out that to play diminished 7 chords you can just play

e - 2
B - 1
G - 2
D - 1
A - x
E - x

This is undoubtedly (in my mind) the way this chord was meant to be played on this song, because it's an easy switch from D to this, and then from this to B7.  Along the same lines as transposing the song, you can also use a capo, which is fun to try on different songs just to see what they sound like!

34 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-20 16:10:45)

The hardest chord I've ever played was D.  I've tried and given up guitar so many times I've lost count.  This past September or October, I decided to give it another go by forgoing all books and just downloading some songs I wanted to learn to sing and play passably well.  The first one was "Forever and Ever Amen", and the first chord in that song is "D."   The first time I played that "D", it was the hardest chord I had ever played.  But that had nothing to do with where my fingers were on the fretboard.

My current obstacle is F#m and other F variations.  For all those out there fretting over barre chords, count me in your corner.  Write back and give some of us other newbies encouragement when you get them to sound right in a song.

I've given up on F#m for now and am learning Jimmy Buffett's Tin Cup Chalice, which requires going from G to B7 to Em one beat after the next.  None of these chords are horrible on their own, but getting from one to the next quickly enough to keep the song moving is enough challange for now.  If I play it with friends around, I'll make sure they're good and drunk.  I sound a lot better when the audience is drunk. 

- Big D

p.s.  Wormproof on a tackle box refers to the plastic type.  Soft plastic worms put into some kinds of plastic trays can react and melt the tray over time.  A 'wormproof' tackle box is one that is non-reactive to soft plastic lures.   It also makes a capital screen name for a guitar forum!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Any chord that requires my pinky! Lazy, numb, no good, useless digit! Lol

Hi again,

You know the F add 9 chord I told you? If you think THAT'S hard try to play it on a bass. Thing is basses have longer frets. I can do it on a bass if you're interested. And my fingers aren't that long.

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Devildogs_Doll wrote:

I just learned a song that involves a lot of switching between G, D, & C.  Switching between G & D had me cursing so much that I told my husband, "G, D, G, D...I'm having trouble switching between these GD chords!!!"

if you're still having trouble switching between open G and open D it helps if you make the open G version where you put your ring finger on the B string in the 3rd fret and use your pinky on the high E in the 3rd fret, so you'll only have to move your index and middle finger and pull off your pinky. Nobody ever explained this to me, and I was making an open G with just 3 fingers, so it was like Xmas when I found it. good luck

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

wormproof101 wrote:

I'm from Ohio too, what part?

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

i hat E flat

So Red Delicious

etc_04 wrote:
wormproof101 wrote:

I'm from Ohio too, what part?

Originally the Medina area, but now I go to OSU in columbus.  But, I'll be done with that in about a year (i hope) and then I have no idea where I'll be

No way I go to OU, maybe we can exchange some tips sometime or do a little jammin'

-James Marshall Hendrix

B flat .... the chord from hell.

Shane

any chord in the "B" family. i think it's interesting that so many of you had trouble with C... it was the first one i learned and has always been my favorite one, but my fingers are really, really long. (might have something to do with it) i think bar chords can be hell on acoustic though.

the answer is blowin' in the wind

Hey,
Well, I have mastered the F chords finally, and I CAN actually play barre chords! Not greatly, mind you.
Nonetheless.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

your right about being weary of websites I went onto wikpedia to download the entire chord charts 12 pages it was listing everything from major chords to major 7s and diminished chords.
While I was looking through it I thoughtI would try and learn some of the power chords, forget it unless you have fingers like an octopusses tenticle.
One listing for a B5 power chord  says I need to play the e on fret 7 the a and d on fret 9 not so bad hey but wait for it the low e on fret 2 come on ! who is having a giraffe here my fingers wont stretch over 7 frets does anyones or am I missing something.
Now thats beyond hard..

bonkers1 wrote:

that depends on how much beer i've drank !!!!

sometimes the most basic of chords screw me up , depending on what chord im coming from to get there !

Lol!
You speaketh the truth my friend.

Its the awkward transition that kills me.

I pass on any chord that stretches four frets.

well i consider myself a decent intermediate guitar player.. more of a rhythm guitarist as Im usually singing when playing but ican play major minor 7 diminshed chords stuff like that no prob, but a basic B chord kills me.. in pretty much every song i just use a B power chord..

i hate the f chord. its allways been the hardest one for and i still stuggle with it.

I must agree with gitaardocphil. If you are a singer, then your voice is in command.. Difficult chords can be skipped, changed, augmented or simplified. Nobody in the audience will know the difference.  I have trouble with a BM7 on my 12 string..   I have several songs i do that use that chord.. I either skip it and cover vocally or play a D instead..  It works..   Peace..