Topic: Windows XP RIP

I went online from backup PC a desktop Dell running XP and logged on to my bank to check my account i had a message waiting for me to read this is what it said:

"After April 8th Windows will no longer support XP with updates and you must upgrade to Vista or Windows 7 or 8 to continue to use the banking services or you will browse at your own risk" I for one am not to pleased with this but if I want to continue to have a backup I will have to upgrade to vista aaargg sad

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Windows XP RIP

Good news Russell! 
After update one comes out (around April 8) you should be able to run Windows 8.1 on older hardware.... update one will reduce the memory requirements and other hardware down to a level that a good percentage of the older PCs out there that have been running XP will be able to handle the new operating system.  Devon has deployed the beta on several school district machines with no issues, but he has access to the pre-release development version of the update as part of his association with Microsoft as a de-bugger.

As for Vista... it's still broken.  Not so much the operating system as much as the drivers that were provided by third party vendors who didn't write their contributions according to the API.  I'd go to 7 Pro myself, although 8 is good and 8.1 better.  Sadly I've migrated most everything I use regularly to some flavor of Linux, and would likely have "withdrawals" if I had to revert back to a Windows product as my main workhorse.

There is hope however... in the interim if you want something FREE, you might check out the Chrome OS, it's a Linux derivative and if most of what you do is web based (like: e-mail, browsing the web, you-tube, news & entertainment, AND you have a stable Web connection) it's pretty much secure, simple and virus free (nothing executes on the local machine).

Take Care my Friend;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have the same problem. XP has been a good stable system, which is why I havent upgraded till now. Dont really want to spend money on a new computer or software but seems unavoidable. My old PC wont drive Windows 8.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

TwangTown, Howdy.

If you've got a 1Gz processor, 1Gb of RAM, and 16Gb of hard drive space, and a video card that will run Direct X 9 or better, you should be able to migrate to Windows 8 without having to invest in new hardware.  If that makes you feel any better.

Take Care;
Doug

Darn, I forgot to mention that my favorite flavor of Linux is currently 12.0.4 LTS (long term support).  I tried Mint, but it defaults to a higher video resolution on install than most older monitors will handle, and it is a bit of hassel to rewrite the defaults down to 768X1024....  you just get this weird kinda grey screen of nothing readable.  Ubuntu is a bit more friendly.
Either way you can download it onto a "thumb drive" and run it off of that without tossing your Windows install.  Kind of a try before you buy thing, but it is a free open source operating system at a price we all can afford... FREE!
Doug

8.1 is a bag of dung. it crashes my wifes tablet repetedly,, ASUS has the support of a ice cream truck, My VISTA for all the crap ppl said and say,, had been kicking tail for 7 years. if you must go up, stop at 7 cause 8 and 8.1 blow. IMHO

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I went from a Windows Vista on one laptop to Windows 7 on another laptop and had all kinds of problems. Difficulties in getting online, major issues with downloading my printer drivers. Total pain in the butt.

Nela

Doug_Smith wrote:

Good news Russell! 
After update one comes out (around April 8) you should be able to run Windows 8.1 on older hardware.... update one will reduce the memory requirements and other hardware down to a level that a good percentage of the older PCs out there that have been running XP will be able to handle the new operating system.  Devon has deployed the beta on several school district machines with no issues, but he has access to the pre-release development version of the update as part of his association with Microsoft as a de-bugger.

As for Vista... it's still broken.  Not so much the operating system as much as the drivers that were provided by third party vendors who didn't write their contributions according to the API.  I'd go to 7 Pro myself, although 8 is good and 8.1 better.  Sadly I've migrated most everything I use regularly to some flavor of Linux, and would likely have "withdrawals" if I had to revert back to a Windows product as my main workhorse.

There is hope however... in the interim if you want something FREE, you might check out the Chrome OS, it's a Linux derivative and if most of what you do is web based (like: e-mail, browsing the web, you-tube, news & entertainment, AND you have a stable Web connection) it's pretty much secure, simple and virus free (nothing executes on the local machine).

Take Care my Friend;
Doug

Thanks Doug for the info I do have Chrome as a browser can you give me a link to the OS download? appreciated  smile

I saw that it was going too come,and it said we could load in vista or win.7 or 8 for free. I like xp and 7 but 8 is still having problems,my son has Linux  and likes it a lot better then windows.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

No Problem Russell,

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

You can download it onto a 4Gb thumb drive and run it directly from that if you set your BIOS to boot from USB.  That way you can give it a try for awhile without doing the install or changing your current Windows installation.

Doug

PS: be sure to read the FAQs etc. for specifics AND back up anything in the way of photos music videos and documents beforehand just to be on the safe side.

Doug_Smith wrote:

No Problem Russell,

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

You can download it onto a 4Gb thumb drive and run it directly from that if you set your BIOS to boot from USB.  That way you can give it a try for awhile without doing the install or changing your current Windows installation.

Doug

PS: be sure to read the FAQs etc. for specifics AND back up anything in the way of photos music videos and documents beforehand just to be on the safe side.

A huge thanks for the link Doug I do have an extra 5Gb thumb drive and I know how to access the bios screen and boot from usb device let you know after I do it how it works out thanks again smile

Dino,  Your boy is right... Linux rocks!  The learning curve is very shallow and just about all the applications you could want are free to download.  Add the WINE application, and even Windows applications will run on it.... including Netflix.

Mostly it is kinda cool because it doesn't need the overhead in hardware resources, and pretty much loads a brand new version of itself every time it boots.  Viruses have a hard time dealing with that because if you should pick something up, it's not saved on the drive, and can't execute without an administrator password and okey-dokey.

Take Care;
Doug

13 (edited by Russell_Harding 2014-03-29 07:29:40)

dino48 wrote:

I saw that it was going too come,and it said we could load in vista or win.7 or 8 for free. I like xp and 7 but 8 is still having problems,my son has Linux  and likes it a lot better then windows.

where did it say you could load vista or win 7 free? I am using 7 on my laptop but I would like to have it or vista on my other Dell desktop that is running xp I would appreciate the download link smile

Russell_Harding wrote:
dino48 wrote:

where did it say you could load vista or win 7 free? I am using 7 on my laptop but I would like to have it or vista on my other Dell desktop that is running xp I would appreciate the download link smile

Russell sorry I visit around too a lot of sites and I can not remember which one it was,if I find it I will let you know. You might try too look at Ask.com or PC world magizine

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Idd move my vistga up to 7 for sure. all about the free load!

I do know that some puters will not bump up correctly due to some techie thing Im not smart enough to relate.  This is probably what happened to NELA

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

just found this

http://www.pcworld.com/article/247401/b … ows_7.html

this vid backs up the article  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_xDOO8ZJjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuCMEskCu8

im now watching all these dang vids to figure out what I should need to do.

Beamer,  when migrating from one version to another..... it' s ALL about the drivers!  Identify all the hardware that is specific to your machine, Sound, video, wireless, network, printer, camera, you know all that stuff that goes into it that might need a vendor specific driver to operate properly.

Download the drivers and put them all in a specific folder on a thumb drive labeled something like; "Win7ToshibaDrivers" or what ever your brand is.

Get the Microsoft certified drivers for the version of Windows that you are moving to... from Microsoft if at all possible.
That way when your PC "wakes up" hunting down the periphals and you get that darn "driver not found, installation failed" message you can just point it at the repository you made and it can gather what it is looking for from there.

Use the Windows Migration Tool  (it is part of windows and should already be in your running system, OR get it while you are at Microsoft rounding up drivers)!!!!!  All of your old files, documents, music, stories ,photos, backgrounds, network settings, and personal preferences will be seamlessly transferred to your new installation in the proper locations so you can find them easily. AND backup all of the above to external media (portable drive or DVD) before you start the process just in case that "Murphy" fellah decides to visit your house while you are in the middle of this. This is what the cloud was meant for!

Have at hand all of the Installation discs for any "outside" software you run. Those that the migration tool don't move for you may have to be reinstalled, there is usually some legacy support for older programs, but once in awhile something just won't run right in the new version.  Use the 32bit install version for the older machines especially single core processors or those with 2Gb or less RAM, 64bit needs more overhead.

Brace yourself for a few hours of automatic updates unless the upgrade you have is fully patched... and even then there will be some.  So pop a cold one (or 6) and vatch der blinkin lites.

Take care All;
Doug

I dug out my old Gateway PC running Vista it crashed on me during boot so just for the heck of it I hooked everything up and hit F2 during boot and got the boot screen I changed it from normal boot to networking boot and started in safe mode it worked I was able to delete several programs and there folders which amounted to over 2GB's I restarted and it worked so now I have another PC running and don't have to upgrade my xp smile

i've been following this thread with interest, i too have had recent problems and doug has been kind enough to give me advice and guidance. my PC is running W7, my laptop runs vista my tablet is on android, and i've obtained an old dell that runs XP, so i followed the link and after a couple of minutes reading decided that up-grading is not essential, so i shall let sleeping dogs lie, but good luck to you russ.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Russell why not try going to Microsoft's official site and check out what they might do. I have xp on my older computer and I am not going too swet it out yet, from what I have heard it is mainly going too affect security and later will effect your explorer browser.

dino48 wrote:

Russell why not try going to Microsoft's official site and check out what they might do. I have xp on my older computer and I am not going too swet it out yet, from what I have heard it is mainly going too affect security and later will effect your explorer browser.

Dino I still have the XP its on my Dell desktop (I have 3 PC's) my laptop is running win 7 my Dell xp and my Gateway Vista so whatever happens Im ready

Phill Williams wrote:

i've been following this thread with interest, i too have had recent problems and doug has been kind enough to give me advice and guidance. my PC is running W7, my laptop runs vista my tablet is on android, and i've obtained an old dell that runs XP, so i followed the link and after a couple of minutes reading decided that up-grading is not essential, so i shall let sleeping dogs lie, but good luck to you russ.

phill

I don't think there is too much to worry about for XP owners when push comes to shove I have enough room on my Ethernet modem to handle 3 pc's and my Netflix blueray my laptop is fast but the xp is just as fast or better smile

I have three pc'also same stuff you have my oldest one has windows M.E. It still works well though.