Topic: PC help needed

i updated a program yesterday by accident called "pluralprint mouse" which fatally crashed my PC! all my photos, songs, poems and stories are now gone, the photos were backed up on cloud so that's OK but i'd like to get the other stuff back. i've heard that nothing actually gets deleted from the hard drive, just forgotten, so i wonder if there's a "free" prog out there someone can recommend? i'd be eternally grateful.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: PC help needed

contact Doug Smith and his brother Devon and ask Jerome all of them are PC guys good luck Phill smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Greetings Phill,
Sorry to hear you are having issues, a bit more info would be helpful though:

Does it wake up at all?
Can you get it to run in Safe Mode?

If you can get it open in Safe mode, you can run MSRT (malicious software removal tool from Microsoft)and then try a system restore to like some date prior to your "oops".  Your stuff should still be in there hiding on the drive, but the directory may be corrupt.  Restore should put things right in most cases.

Please advise;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

thanks russ.

hi doug,  i managed to get it going in safe mode, and ran system restore several times, then when i got to the end of my tether, i put in the windows disk and let it run....when it finished there was a blank canvass, just the basic windows stuff. i've had to down load the programs i already had on there, but as i said my songs, poems and stories have gone. i did download a program from c-net (cant remember what it was called) but it only found 2 windows programs. i'm hoping someone knows of a better program they can recommend?

i had avast running at the time, so i dont understand how it got in, piggy back maybe?

phill

Sorry Phill,

It may be too late to recover what files you might have had on that drive.  Your re-installation of windows likely did a reformat of the c: partition which would have overwritten anything still on it. You mentioned that you had avast running, and you would have thought that it would have alerted you that you were about to run a malicious update.  But even Avast is a few days behind and if it is a new virus in the wild, it can miss them from time to time.  Avast makes a "mirror" copy of your drive on initial installation that can in some cases be used to recover files that are lost or corrupted... but I'm thinking that was destroyed as well with the new windows installation.

Sorry to say, but this is the best argument in favor of backing up your data on a regular basis, even on a moderate sized thumb drive (or to the cloud).  I use a USB portable hard drive myself, but then I have like 6 computers to maintain and need that half terabyte to cover them all.

Please accept my condolences;
Doug

Doug, what about taking that drive out and looking at it externally while not booting from it?  Would he see anything different in his file system?  Phill, any chance that you backed up your data to a different partition on the drive?  Sometimes that is an option, if your drive is big enough (although not a good choice, because the entire hard drive could fail).  When I say, a different partition, I mean look for a D or E drive... generally windows is installed on C.  If you have another drive that's not your usb's or dvd drive, that could POSSIBLY have a backup of files on it. 

I do have to warn you Phill... I am grasping at strings here.  I think Doug is likely on the money and the reinstall wiped your files.  I know how important they are to you, and trying to think of anything I possibly can.  In the future... you could have likely gotten the files off the drive by connecting it externally... saving them elsewhere... then doing the full install.  An extra computer would have been necessary for that (and an external hard drive bay).  I know telling you this now does you no good... but it's good to know if it happens again for some unknown reason and you haven't had a chance to back up yet.

I am sorry!  I hope a miracle happens for you!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

thanks amy, doug, i had an external HD, and now i'm thinking about it i kept getting warning flashes up that it was full so no room to back-up!!!! idiot that i am i just ignored it, so i'm thinking now that that was my problem! so i've now disconnected the drive, and i'm thinking about formatting it from an old lap top i have. my PC seems to be running well without whatever was backed-up on there, so there cant be anything vital on there? i shall wait for confirmation from (obviously) more PC minded persons before re-connecting the external HD or formatting it. please tell me i dont need to spend more money on a new one?

the avast got deleted with everything else....but i've re-installed it now.

thanks for the advice cos i'm just a key plugger and techy stuff is a little beyond my aging brain cells.

phill

Amy, That's a good thought and would have been an option if Phill had not reinstalled windows.  There is a slim chance that putting Windows back on the drive did not do a full format, and only erased the directory (quick format). Then the files would still be on the drive, but the locations would be lost and some data could theoretically be recovered forensically.  That however is time consuming and frightfully expensive... you send off the drive and it is dismantled down to the "spinning rust" and examined bit by bit.

The other scenario I was expecting was that the drive would not boot.  In which case you could pull it out and dock it. boot the system from an external drive and OS, read the directory and extract the files you wanted to save to other media and move it back afterwards.  Even a failing drive can usually be persuaded to give things back with patience in this manner.

Phill, as for your portable drive... don't format that puppy yet!  Like Amy suggested, most of your stuff MAY still be on there in one of the older backups.  search it for the most recent backup you have and browse through that.  Depending on it's age, the bulk of your data may be resident and that stuff you can surely get back!

Good Luck;
Doug

Geez Phill, I'm sorry to hear about your puter problems. I wish I new something that could help but unfortunately I'm illiterate when it comes to puters. Don't give up yet it sounds like Doug and Amy know there stuff.

Hope you can get it cyphered

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

thanks again for the advice, hi kap me too, i muddle through pressing everything until it either works or tells me to walk away in jerking motions! (hope that's not too specific, but i've been frustrated by this thing for hours) i've finally found the drivers for the wireless router, after downloading god knows how many "free" fixes. why do they say it's free when they want to charge X amount to fix stuff. they should put the cost at the start not when you've downloaded and run through everything. enough of the rant.

as advised, i shall hook the external drive to an old XP laptop and see if there's anything there.

thanks phill

just as an update; i plugged the HD into my old dell laptop, and it immediately crashed, so i'm going to bin it and bite the bullet and buy a new one, if i can find a way of hiding it from the wife.....

I hope somehow it will all work out for you Phill. I do feel your pain. Been there done that.

Phil. go and buy what you need. You can always tell your wife that you was driving down the road and the new computer fell off a truck that was in front of you. I've done this with a new boat, fishing gear, a guitar and a hunting rifle. Got some strange looks from her but it seemed to work.

Nela

hi nela, it wouldn't work with the misses, she follows the plastic bill like a hawk. anyway, got the laptop un-crashed, and went through my X-HD and deleted everything but what songs, stories and music that were left on it. it looks like it hasn't been backing up those files for quite a while as everything was a few years old, none of the new stuff! i've got hard copies of all my songs, but the stories are all gone. ah well, we tried.

thanks again doug and all that tried to help, it's much appreciated.

phill

PHill the best way is to look for reconditioned win 7 units. better prices that way

http://www.staples.com/HP-DX7400-Refurb … ze=certona
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … 7Aod7jIANw
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/De … west+Price

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

If you do buy a reconditioned unit, buy it from a store... not some yahoo selling them from their garage.  Personal experience.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

staples and tiger are pretty reliable,, best buy also has them.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

thanks for the advice, but i find buying new with a guarantee is usually the best way to go, i've found some 1 and 2 TB HD's for less than 100 pounds, that looks good to me, i quite fancy a samsung, i'm still looking and comparing, i'm a little afraid to hook up the old one in case it kills my PC again. it's a packard bell and i've tried getting on their site but end up running round like a head-less chicken. info is hard to come by it seems.

Once you get your new setup ready, subscribe to a service like drop box, or box.net, and just synch your entire documents folder.   That way when the new one bites the dust, it's there for you to easily restore.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

did you say Packard bell??? Man thats an old puter! my very first desk top was a packard bell with a  get this, 1gig hard drive!
They got bought by HP a long time ago. no wonder you cant find any support. 

Like Jerome said a cloud server is great, an no matter the size of teh HD in my puter,, I always run an external and store all my must keep stuff on it.  HD crashes, it wont take you external.

jerome, i seem to have down-loaded dropbox without knowing it, i haven't installed it as i'm getting a little nervous of what i'm getting myself into these days. so can you recommend it?

beamer, no it's not a Packard Bell PC, it's one built for me to my specs, now i wish i'd bought one off the shelf, live and learn. the external hard drive is the P/Bell, so now i know why i cant get anywhere, next stop....trash can!

my first puter was 9 gigs! that's why i bought the H drive. anyone remember windows 95?

I would absolutely recommend dropbox.  It's easy to use, it simply shows up as another drive in your Window's explorer, and it doesn't bombard you with advertising or trojan horses.   Google Drive is also very good, as is Box.Net.   I use all three.

Phill I have always used WD Mybook externals and have never had any problems with them and they are cost effective also

hi jerome, i'm still dubious with on-line back-ups as i have some sensitive stuff on there. my brother got caught with identity thieves so i'm really dubious with certain details, so what i'm asking is, how secure are they and would you trust them?

hi beamer is WD Mybook a make of external hard drive? as i've not heard of them. but i'll check them out on-line.

phill

Phill Williams wrote:

hi jerome, i'm still dubious with on-line back-ups as i have some sensitive stuff on there. my brother got caught with identity thieves so i'm really dubious with certain details, so what i'm asking is, how secure are they and would you trust them?

The fundamental rule of security is that it should be appropriate to the value of the data.   If you have super critical or sensitive information then I'd keep that locally on an external drive.  But for your average document store (songs, poems, pictures, etc...) the security is fine.  The accounts don't require anything other than an email address to sign up, so you're not leaving any credit card or similar data with them.   Most use OAuth2 these days, which is pretty secure.  If you are already using Google's Gmail, then you have the exact same security setup for Drive that you do for everything else.