1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-17 09:38:58)

Topic: Tremolo Blues

A few of us on Chordie installed Stetsbar Tremolos on our Les Paul's over the last 2 years. I was jamming with some friends last Saturday, and had to keep stopping to re-tune. The trem itself seemed to be staying in tune okay, but every time I did any string bending, those strings would go flat. My Elixir strings are a couple months old, so they're well broken in. Apart from the D'Addario NYXL's, every kind of strings I've tried with it require constant retuning. But the NYXL's go dead in less than a month (uncoated, sweaty hands).

So the Stetsbar is now off with the original bridge reinstalled, new strings went on Sunday night, and when I picked it up again last evening it was perfectly in tune. As much as I enjoy using a trem, this nuisance factor is a pain in the pa-tootie.

Russell ... are you having similar experiences with your Stetsbar? Or is this just a tremolo "thing" that has to be tolerated?

Re: Tremolo Blues

Locking tuners?

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-17 20:06:03)

I considered that BGD, but since it now stays in tune without the trem (same tuners) I don't think that's the problem. One thing I didn't adjust was the tension on the Stetsbar's two main springs. They may have softened with use (it's about 1 1/2 yrs on now). That adjustment would have made it stiffer to use, but it likely would have stayed in tune better.

Great suggestion ... thank-you for mentioning it!

Graphite in nut? re-file nut to prevent string sticking?

That was also fine (no tell-tale pinging) and the Stetsbar design is such that the whole bridge moves, so it wasn't on that end either. If / when I reinstall it, I'll likely put a locking  nut on it also ... should help.

I had similar issues with a trem of mine which is why I brought the nut thing up, and that fella had no pinging. Anywho, you might consider sperzels instead of a locking nut. I'm a big fan.

Thanks, BGD ...

Locking tuners is probably the way to go. My guitar has regular Grovers on it right now, and they make their Rotomatic Lockers, as do Gotoh, Schaller, and Planet Waves. You really like the Sperzels compared to the others?

I haven't shopped much but I love sperzels enough to install them on all my guitars, as soon as I have a few hundred spare bucks.

They are a godsend for on stage string breaks.

Baldguitardude wrote:

I love sperzels enough to install them on all my guitars, as soon as I have a few hundred spare bucks.

Good news!  They've come down in price..... $65 on Stewmac.  But you might have other priorities at the moment, thinkin' about the little one.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-19 20:55:36)

Great news indeed!

My Les Paul has regular Grovers on it, and I see that StewMac sells the set of the Grover lockers for $75 (gold 3x3's):

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par … currency=D

Funny thing ... All-Parts sells the exact same set for $150!

I am sad to say I too had problems so I took it off for the same reasons i have a new set of Sperzels I also took off and put the original stuff back and no problems so it was an expensive lesson but I may not have installed it correct so I dont know smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well, Russell ... you certainly know enough about guitar mods, that it probably didn't fail because of your doings. I think BGD has got it right, that the problem is at the other end. My friend's Fender Jazzmaster gave him the same troubles (factory installed trem) until he put a locking nut on it. I like BGD's locking tuner idea better, but my buddy's tuning problems stopped when he put the locking nut on.