1 (edited by Randall53 2015-05-11 17:07:18)

Topic: Adding strap button on a Martin D15M

Hello. I'm new to Chordie, but really like the site so far!  I do have a question however. <grin>

I have a Martin D15M that I've had just a few months. I simply love this guitar and it's hard to set it down. I do play some standing up and this guitar only has a strap button on the bottom. I now have a Martin leather strap behind the nut, but this puts the guitar a bit to high and I have a long strap extended out all the way. Has anyone had a button added at neck base of one of these? I'm really nervous about this and I'd like opinions if anyone would like to share. There's a leather shop close to me and I'm considering having a leather strap exactly like the one I have made that's maybe 3" longer, but I'd really like to have another strap button on the neck base if it's safe to do.....and I mean VERY SAFE to do....LOL.  Thanks for any comments.

Re: Adding strap button on a Martin D15M

Welcome to the forums Randall! 

I can feel your concern, and I'm sure lots of others do too!  Give this thread a day, and you'll have a LOT of well thought out opinions.  smile 

I personally say, "go for it" but then... I have a Martin 000-15M and don't have a button on the neck myself.  My custom strap wraps around the headstock (by the nut like yours).  My husband did install a pick up in it, which included drilling out the end pin hole a bit more.  It was VERY SCARY to watch!  In the end, all went well.  I imagine with the right placement everything would work out fine on your end too.  Maybe take it to a local guitar shop and let someone else do the dirty deed though.  I don't think I could do it myself (not because I'm not mechanically inclined, but because I'd be too scared to damage my baby - which would likely make me slip up and actually damage it!).  Good luck, keep us informed!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thank you mekidsmom for the welcome and the information! Since posting, I've talked to a luthier in my area and asked about performing a guitar setup and adding the button. They said it would be no problem and that they do it all the time. My total cost would be under $50 for the setup, new strings, the strap button and the button installed. They've been around for a very long time, so I think I'm gonna go for it.  I'd still like to hear from others that have had this done however, if anyone cares to add anything. It'll be next week before they can get to it.

Thanks again!!  Randall53

I don't have a Martin, but I did exactly what you said in your last comment with my new Yamaha...I took it to a luthier and had him complete a "new set up" and add a strap button to the neck base...total cost was around $60.00...it was well worth it...

I've added strap buttons to 3 Martins and at least another 1/2 dozen guitars I've owned. I rarely play standing so I seldom need to use them, but for a few bucks its an easy add-on.  I usually keep an assortment of silver, gold and black ones around so I can match colors with the tuners and/or the end pin.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-05-12 09:20:35)

The idea of drilling a hole in your guitar is a jittery experience, but it's not as big a deal as it sounds, if proper care is taken. I've put a couple on in the past year, on my Larrivee and my classical, and it went fine. Here's a "How To" video from Marguerite Pastella's excellent website (Fret Not Guitar Repair) that I followed. My motivation was that I dropped a guitar a couple of times (slipped off my lap) and didn't want to risk it happening again. I hope this is helpful:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repa … button.php

Her tip about waxing the screw's threads is vital, although I used Paraffin and not beeswax. It'll make the screw go in effortlessly, and also seals the wood around the screw so it won't work loose over time.

I did it on my 12 string. No problem if there's enough material.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've had it done to my Martin D-35 and my D-41 no problems. But they were done by experts who know the correct place to install them . Sounds like you'll be in good hands with the shop you chose. Go for it.

Joe

thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Thanks for the video also! That is some excellent information.

Randall

I thought I'd let everyone know that the strap button went very well.  I got it today and decided to do it myself. It was very simple to do after watching a few videos on Youtube and the video that tenement funster posted above. I did have bees wax and waxed the thread of the screw. It went in perfect and it matches perfectly with the one on the bottom of the guitar opposite of the neck. Thanks again all. I would post pictures but don't know how.

Way to go, Randall!

Glad it all went well, and you deserve to pat yourself on the back for doing it yourself successfully. Moving to a strap that holds the body (rather than the nut at one end) will save your guitar's neck from potential curvature.

Good job Randall!  There's a sticky thread around here with a "how to lost pics".  Good to see you came back too!  Hop on into any other posts that look interesting.  smile always good to have new members!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.