1 (edited by jets60 2007-07-08 19:05:17)

Topic: Free

As promised here is my song that I wrote today. It started out from a comment my mom made my music. She noticed I post my recordings free for anyone to download and asked why and offered some money making suggestions...which I didn't take. Anyway, here is what the idea turned into about life's little freedoms and how if we don't watch out they may disappear. I hope you like it.

Free By Jeff Gilpin

July 8th, 2007

[A] [D] [G] [C] [G]

Verse 1

I'm [A]free to make up my [D]mind

Or [G]free to not care at [C]all[G]

[A]Free to waste my [D]days away

Or [G]free to work for a [C]cause[G]

Verse 2

Yeah I'm [A]free to laugh my [D]head off

Or to [G]scream at a world un[C]fair[G]

[A]Free to help the [D]human race

Or just [G]sit there with a vacant [C]stare[G]

Verse 3

[A]Stand up for [D]what you [G]believe[C] [G]

Because [A]freedom [D]isn't [G]free[C] [G]

You [A]just might [D]lose your free[G]dom[C] [G]

And then [A]where [D]will we all [G]be[C] [G]

Chorus

[G]That's [D]not for [A]me

[G]I'd [D]rather not [A]see

[G]Too much [D]apa[A]thy

[G]I'd [D]rather be [E]free[C] [G]

Verse 4

I'm [A]free to write my [D]words

I'm [G]free to sing them [C]loud[G]

I'm [A]free to play for [D]one or two

Or to [G]play them for a [C]crowd[G]

Verse 5

I can [A]sell them if I [D]want to

Or I can [G]give them away for [C]free[G]

They're [A]mine so what I [D]do with them

Is [G]completely up to [C]me[G]

Verse 6

I [A]worry the [D]world will [G]change[C] [G]

That I'll [A]not be able to [D]sing my [G]songs[C] [G]

And that [A]people are [D]far to bu[G]sy[C] [G]

To [A]keep our world from [D]going [G]wrong[C] [G]

Chorus

[G]Too much [D]apa[A]thy

[G]I'd [D]rather be [E]free[C] [G]

Verse 7

I [A]hope we all enjoy being [D]free

But it's [G]not certain to be the [C]same[G]

So what[A]ever freedom means to [D]you

Do [G]all you can to help it re[C]main[G]

Verse 8

The [A]freedoms of our [D]forefathers

The [G]freedom paid for with their [C]lives[G]

The [A]freedom many take for [D]granted

Is the [G]freedom I want to [C]survive[G]

Verse 9

Be [A]free [D]to be [G]heard[C] [G]

En[A]sure you [D]pay the [G]cost[C] [G]

Help [A]keep [D]your free[G]doms [C] [G]

Or [A]they [D]will be [G]lost[C] [G]

Chrous

[G]Too much [D]apa[A]thy

[G]I'd [D]rather be [E]free[C] [G] [A]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Free

Hi Jets 60,

Most Woman i know love when men Open doors for them! Its so Gentlemanly to do..If thats who you are, Then wear and be  your skin tailor made!

Never had to change a wheel yet on my car? There are decent Old fashioned

Men like you everywhere! " Thank God " Or i'd have been left stranded more then once in my life!

Very well done Sir.
Dia linn
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Jeff,

Just gave your latest offering a whirl. I like the lyrics and agree with the sentiment. A nice little number but I was caught out on verses 3, 6, and 9 do you slow the vocal tempo to half to keep the chords the same or increase the chord changes to leave the vocal tempo the same?

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger - for this one I play at the same tempo and verses 1,2,4,5,7 and 8 and are sung pretty quick where 3, 6 and 9 are sung a little slower if you get what I mean. Heck, I'll record it and let you hear for yourself.

Hey Old Doll - I think you meant old fashion guy for your comments but thanks.

Jeff/Jets60

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hello jeff,just me.

i really like the lyrics to this song and i agree we can sing what we want.writing songs is from the heart whether or not people agree with it is another matter but thats their problem right? i dont think people are liking my stuck up toffs too much but i laugh every time someone disses it,i wrote it as it meant something to me but it was also a jokey song.maybe i shall stick to love songs after all.oh the bad word i put in the chorus is 'shit' by the way. anyway i really like this song.

bye d x

I liked it.

Hey Donna -  thanks and I'm glad you liked it and got it. Don't worry too much about Toffs. Songs often times will hit others the wrong way. What can you do, right? Maybe get  song out of it..hmmmmm. smile

Thanks Toriark - Glad you liked it as well. I did my verses a little different this time to just try something new where the 3rd, 6th and 9th are kind of really played with the music of 2 verses. I'm not sure why I did it but it just gave the song a different vibe I guess. Anyway thanks!

Jeff/Jets

J  E  T  S

Jeff, I cant help but be reminded of 'Me & Bobbie McGee' when I read your song.  In that lyric freedom was portrayed as "nothin' left to lose", here in your song it is portrayed as unlimited potential to choose.

Much as I like the old 'Me & Bobbie McGee' song, I prefer the philosophy you express here.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey James - That's one of my favorites too, James. I'd been just been dwelling on freedom and how it applies to so many things and that those things are usually different depending on the person as well.

Thanks

J  E  T  S