Topic: Has This Been Proposed/Discussed? Compilation CD?

If so, please excuse me for bringing it up again if, for some reason it got vetoed or rejected at that time.

Short and sweet and I don't know what the logistics would be, but we have so much talent on this site I think it needs to be shared in some way - if not CD, then streaming the way Amazon does.

Revenue could go to charity.

Each performer would be responsible for presenting what he or she considers their best work, recording expense to be his/her responsibility.

For our British, Canadian and other foreign folks, admittedly I am not familiar with your tax laws, but here in America, I'm sure it can be written off as a charitable deduction.

I'm going to stop writing this because I'm getting the feeling this idea's been discussed before and maybe it's really not a good one.

If it has come up, perhaps someone would be kind enough to link me to it?

To conclude, please don't be afraid to tell me I'm full of doo-doo - you wouldn't hurt my feelings, I promise. Two reasons for not hurting my feelings:

1. I already know I'm full of it and

2. I lose "focus" very easily these days and will more than likely look at this in a few days and say to myself, "You actually brought this up??? SHOVEL, please!!!"  wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Has This Been Proposed/Discussed? Compilation CD?

The answer to query Bill is yes a Chordie CD has been proposed and tracks were selected from members. This was some years ago and never came to pass. The post for it is still In the stickies in the recording forum. Russ from the recording forum put them together at the time reasons for not completing are in the posts.
ark

Not as crazy as it seems, Bill - it could be done on Bandcamp. Price it at whatever you (the editorial "you") think is fair, or you can even make it so that the customer can pay whatever they want/think is fair...

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

Great idea!

The King Of Audio Torture

For you folks interested, the link is:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10316

It may be due for resurrecting the idea again, but I think it kinda lost steam due to the available time required to complete a project of this magnitude, with a mojority of us having jobs etc. that make it difficult to devote large blocks of.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think it may be worth bringing up again. Sounds like a good idea Bill.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

7 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-09 14:21:25)

IMO, we needn't have to "master" it - as long as there's a disclaimer that "volume levels may vary over the course of the album" (just as the talent levels will vary over the course of it wink )...

We do, however, need someone with a bandcamp account who'd be willing to do the assembling of songs - everybody would send 'em, and that person would upload 'em as a "Various Artists" album.. No mastering, tweaking, nothing, just post 'em up "as is"!

RIP Bowie

BUMP.

I think I will be able to host/post it if nobody else is willing to.

SO---------------WITH THIS IN MND-------------

(1)Who would be interested in contributing a song?

(2)Suggestions for the charity recipient?

RIP Bowie

Great idea.  I'm in.

Last bump.

Any takers beside BGD & me?

RIP Bowie

I am game, count me in.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have some stuff I could contribute -

Not to be a stick in the mud however, if there's going to be a charity involved, it needs to be a good one that actually does good (ie: there's a lot of organizations that help with Autism, but only if you qualify based on income - they work off government subsidies - federal/state medical assistance and are not need based - I won't support any org's like that).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Yep, i`m up for it(don`t know if i`m up TO it though).

I'm in ... with a warning that my singing voice would likely kill the whole thing. I'll have to talk to my youngest son about recording and posting electronically, which he has the gear & know how to do. I hope a Jethro Tull or Crash Test Dummies tune will do?

Whatever the group decides for a charity I'm fine with. It would be nice if it was something musically related, but that's usually a pretty fragementary / localized matter.

Contributors (thus far):

Cocktailsfor2
Baldguitardude
Roger Guppy
mekidsmom
easybeat
Tenement Funster

I suggest the Chordie Compilation be priced at $2 minimum (with customers able to pay any price $2 and above, if they wish)

My suggestion for any charitable donations (if any): Doctors Without Borders Note: I repeat, this is only my suggestion.

Failing a concensus on a donation recipient, I suggest we split the gate equally between contributors.

Contributors will be responsible for their own "final mix," sound-wise. What you send in is what goes out.
Contributors will be responsible for their own content, regarding "adult material" warning.
Contributors will be responsible for their own description of the song they submit (if they wish to have one).

Contributors?
Suggestions?
Volunteers?

RIP Bowie

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-06 04:18:24)

This is awesome!

Let's have some more input from mods, admins, etc.

What do you see as the medium, 'Tails?  I know direct download streaming is the way to go logically and economically speaking, right?

I'm working on getting an old drummer friend of mine onboard. Not to drum, but to produce/engineer everyone's final copy. He could probably be enticed in return for production/enginering credits. Also if y'all would be so inclined as to leave a "space" for him, he could add drums. His list of credits are impressive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Huey.

VERY IMPORTANT: I want to make perfectly clear that I'm not saying that y'all can't mix/engineer your own stuff, okay? Just that he'd be there if needed. And I also won't make any moves in that direction until we get a unanimous yes from the leadership commitee (or whatever it will be called).

My charities would be: The Alzheimer's Association and/or The American Humane Society.

My contribution(s): Assist with PR. I can't be counted on to do my own song, but I can write press releases if needed.

Thanks, 'Tails for getting this thing moving. I would be proud to do what little I can to help this project in any way needed. I would like to reiterate, however, that all of us need to agree on the project before we start. I'm good at having ideas; not so good at facilitating them, however. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I'm willing to contribute to the album.
ark

18 (edited by easybeat 2015-08-06 06:44:43)

Bill
your friend is amazing,looked him up.
Wow if we could get him on board this could be (dare i say it again) Amazing!
I`d love to see if he could engineer something with my latest song.(is he a magician?)

I am  looking for reasons not to contribute, I agree with MKM about what charities are considered. i am on the fence some one push me off one way or the other

out of tune out of key and out of touch

My old man is fighting a very nasty and aggressive form of leukemia right now - would like to throw a blood cancer foundation in to the ring for consideration as far as charities go. smile

mojo01 wrote:

I am  looking for reasons not to contribute, I agree with MKM about what charities are considered. i am on the fence some one push me off one way or the other

Okay, you're in.

...howzzat?

RIP Bowie

22 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-08 14:33:19)

I saw someone's comment about "adult content" and winced. For the broadest possible appeal, perhaps we could agree to make our collective content accessible to all potential listeners, i.e., no "McLean & McLean" type of content.

As for submission format, I have no online account (SoundCloud, etc.) for music, and would probably never use it other than for this one project. Perhaps we could have a central email address where the finalized MP3 or MP4 file could be sent?

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:
mojo01 wrote:

Okay, you're in.

...howzzat?

well alllrighty then. looks like I'm in

don't push so hard next time

out of tune out of key and out of touch

24 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-08-08 15:53:33)

Tenement Funster wrote:

I saw someone's comment about "adult content" and winced. For the broadest possible appeal, perhaps we could agree to make our collective content accessible to all potential listeners, i.e., no "McLean & McLean" type of content.

I have no idea who "McLean & McLean" are, but when I wrote that contributors are responsible for their own content, I meant just that. I think we're all adults here.

If there's going to be any censoring of material in any way, shape or form, include me out. No hard feelings.

RIP Bowie

I have to say if any of the content of this proposed CD contain expletives in it then count me out.

I am from the old school. OK we all will swear if hurt or shocked as it is done on impulse but to write or record swear words is done as a deliberate attempt to upset or offend. There are far better adjectives in the English language that can be used without resorting to bad language.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"