26 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-08 17:58:49)

Re: Has This Been Proposed/Discussed? Compilation CD?

It's in the guidelines for posting here, that no swear words be used. I myself have been guilty of "pushing the envelope" a time or two using asterisks and, (as Yankees Catcher Yogi Berra once misappropriately said) "insinuendos". smile smile

But I "signed" the agreement and I am bound by it.

I'm still in.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

27 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-08-09 00:12:06)

To clarify:

I, myself, was not planning on using any expletives in my contribution (though I most certainly reserve the right to do so!), nor do or did I think that any other contributor was going to submit an expletive-laden song. However, I would also never deign to tell any artist what they can or cannot include in their art.

(On a personal note, I find it very sad that some potential contributors would even consider quashing free speech in any way, considering what I understand to be the average age of participants   How different would this song be, I wonder? )

I also despair of the reaction by some in thinking that the inclusion of a simple sentence

Contributors will be responsible for their own content, regarding "adult material" warning.

would throw the floodgates would open, leading to a deluge of profanity-laden submissions. Had I not included it, I doubt anyone would have noticed or even cared. And here I thought I was being pro-active. Ah, well. As I said, so very sad.

Also, since this endeavour would be hosted on someone's Bandcamp account (or summat), it would not be connected to Chordie in any way other than by name, and would not fall under any guidelines other than Bandcamp's, and they have no such restrictions or limitations or censoring (at least none that I am aware of.).

That said, considering the possibility of censorship of anyone's art (whether by intent or by deed), I will not be participating in this project in any capacity going forward. And as I said previously, no hard feelings. Good luck with the project.

Edited to add: Since I am withdrawing from this effort, I will also be withdrawing from this thread - if anyone wishes to continue a discussion (though I think my position's pretty clear, y'know?), you can email me, and I will try to return communication next week after I get out of hospital (going in for a spinal procedure on Weds.).

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

I can not sing so I would not be able to get a song on it. Howerver I would not mind putting in afew bucks of my own if it makes some money.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

29 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-09 02:35:19)

Due to the fact this site belongs to someone - someone who makes it available to us without payment, I think the consensus is, we follow our benefactor's rules or we leave*.

That said, I too don't like censorship, but when one agrees to become a part of a "family" (for that is what we are) and agrees to its rules, then it is incumbent on us to respect them.

I am sure that no one thinks badly of you, 'Tails, for leaving the project and your reasons are certainly valid and deserve our respect as well. Just don't leave the site, okay?. You have been a bright spot on the forums ever since you showed up and I've gotten many a laugh and smile from your sense of humor.

I wish you well with your procedure and am sorry to learn you must have it. Please let us know how it goes, okay?

Bill

* I wish to state that this is the way I interpret the rules and guidelines. Your mileage may vary and please feel free to disagree. I promise it will not make me love you any less. big_smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Here's something to consider.  Copyright!  It is one thing to cover another artist's work on you-tube or soundcloud or what's-your-flavor-of -the -week.  Another altogether to do so and derive monetary gain (even if earmarked for charity, or next to nothin'). 

Seems to me that when we had first discussed such a project in the recording section (and I should add that the timing was about the same as that MPAA rant that had everyone sitting on pin-cushions awaiting lawsuits, including Chordie!), we kinda decided that we should limit contributions to "original" works of the members to aviod involving the site in litigation over credit and percentages or waivers.

Just a suggestion for additional discussion.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

31 (edited by dino48 2015-08-09 17:59:29)

Doug_Smith wrote:

Here's something to consider.  Copyright!  It is one thing to cover another artist's work on you-tube or soundcloud or what's-your-flavor-of -the -week.  Another altogether to do so and derive monetary gain (even if earmarked for charity, or next to nothin'). 

Seems to me that when we had first discussed such a project in the recording section (and I should add that the timing was about the same as that MPAA rant that had everyone sitting on pin-cushions awaiting lawsuits, including Chordie!), we kinda decided that we should limit contributions to "original" works of the members to aviod involving the site in litigation over credit and percentages or waivers.

Just a suggestion for additional discussion.

That's a good point Doug! We do have a lot of good songwriters here so that's a good thing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Licensing for these things is cheap.  Used to do it all the time.  Once we have a song list together I can investigate licensing for those who may want to contribute a cover.

Good thing you brought up the licensing issue, Doug ... never entered my mind.

There's likely enough original material among us, that we probably wouldn't need to do covers of copyright material.

CONFESSION TIME: Obviously I'm the putz who raised the "adult content" issue, in response to CF2's comments. I didn't mean to offend anyone, nor cause trouble at all. I'm sorry for making this a bigger deal than perhaps it should be. Even being a tiny part of this project would be something each of us should be proud of, and I'd like it to be something I could recommend to anyone I know without reservation or apology. I'm not in favor of censorship, but I am in favor of self-imposed decency and courtesy to others, which I believe is the spirit of what CF2 was saying all along. Please forgive my over-stepping.

Rick (Tenement Funster)

THE OTHER "PUTZ" STEPS UP : From reading TF's post up top, I see that I may have shot myself in the foot by over-explaining (or explaining at all) the rules here on Chordie and how we are expected to adhere to them.

I then "picked up" said shot foot and crammed it into my mouth by writing out some kind of lame "treatise' regarding my "philosophy" on the rules, trying put a halo on at the same time. (anyone "seeing" this yet?). When a close friend of mine pointed out that I, myself was guilty of using less than polite language in some of my postings, I went and got a sledgehammer, stood in front of our mirror and like Wile E. Coyote, pounded that foot in even further.

The foot by then had cleared my lips and was  snugly seated on top of my esophagus.

"I need some relief", I thought to myself, being that I couldn't actually say it, you see.

So in order to set things straight, I asked that the thread (essay -- whatever) be deleted, and after much thought, came here to stand beside my friend TF for support.

I hope that all is well now and there's another thread on the cd subject in "About Chordie" if anyone still wants to be a part of the project.

Oh yes, the foot: I finally removed it with a tube of KY jelly and a great big burp, the gas of which blew my foot out the window. I'll be shopping today for a new one - one guaranteed uninsertable.

High Five and a Brotherly Hug to ya, Rick aka TF

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass