1 (edited by beestie 2015-07-22 04:12:32)

Topic: Waihine

This is a song about a ship that sank here in Wellington Harbour. I was just 7 at the time but I am amazed at how much emotion came out when I wrote it. It is one of my first memories.  I will have to play it a few times to get the lump out of my throat when I think about it. It takes me right back to the day as we listened at home unable to do anything.

Waihine is Maori for Woman or Wife. Tapuhi was the tug in Wellington at the time but she was far too old to do much to help. The Wahine hit Barrett Reef just after 6 in the morning and abandon ship was sounded around 1 in the afternoon. By that time she had too much of a list so she could only launch half her lifeboats. There were no life jackets for the children on board. The wind and tide blew people onto the rocks on the eastern side of the harbour that had bad access and no one much to help people who made it to shore. Small boats from the Seatoun side saved a lot of lives that day at great risk to themselves.

Waihine

[G] April nineteen sixty eight, the  [C7] Unions Steamship’s pride,
[F] Holed herself on Barrett Reef and [ G7] fifty two souls died,
[G] Two hours out of Lyttleton, [C7] and sailing through the heads
[F] In winds of over 50 knots, [G7] her radar had stopped  dead.
[F] Listening to the radio, [Em7] we heard it all unfold
[F] Tapuhi was sent out to help, [Em7] but she was just too old
Chorus:
[F] I listened on the radio, [G7] as we had no TV
[F] Memories seared into my mind [G7] as clear, as clear can be.
[G] The wind whistled around our house [C7] perched upon the hill
[F] Giselle was blowing at full force [Em7] and going for the kill.

[G] It was still dark  that morning when [C7]  Waihine came to grief,
[F] Her radar down, out of control, [G7] as she hit Barrett Reef
[G] No one knew how bad the blow that [C7] tore right through her heart
The [F] port propeller was knocked off, [G7] as she stumbled in the dark
Chorus:
[G] She drifted in near Steeple Rock in [C7] clear sight of the shore
[F] People stood on Seatoun beach, un [G7] able to do more
[G] Four more hours past in vein, [C7] with a starboard  list
[F] The small boats headed out in force, [G]  heros in our mist   
[G] Fifty two died on that day,[C7]  just off wellington’s shore
[F] Without the help of local men,  [G] it could have been far more.

Re: Waihine

A compelling story, and well-told in your song. Nice work, Beestie!

3 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-22 11:47:00)

Oh, my.

I look forward to hearing this one! Hope you can get past it in your mind to be able to sing it, but know that emotion is a great thing to hear in a song, too.

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

4 (edited by beestie 2015-07-22 22:44:36)

I tripped over a few words. After quite a few attempts this one worked the best. I'm still playing it too fast and I'm thinking of changing a few chords as it sounds too jaunty. I will be trying again with a friend and then I can put more radio in the middle and end. I need to vary the volume in the chorus as well.

https://soundcloud.com/sak-26/the-waihine-disastermp3

I would love to hear this done with a group of voices. On the G and F chords Bass voices at the start of each line. ON the second half of the lines singing words like hero's in our mist alto or soprano voices. And maybe a couple lines of narration with a deep voice. Excellent lyrics could be presented in numerous and exciting ways. Its was a day embedded in the many Wellingtonians memories who were around at that time of this disaster. Another idea I had is dividing the song into male and female vocals.