1 (edited by mojo01 2015-08-24 19:48:19)

Topic: Johnny

*warning*  this recording contains language  that may be offensive to some  . so if I offend anyone, thank you to the veterans out there for making that possible .

https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/johnny

(D)when we sent Johnny (C)off to (G)war (C)who besides his(G) mama (D)cried
(D)Johnny came home he was a (C)different (G)man (C)something was(G) wrong in(D)side
(D)all the yellow ribbons and a(C) heroes (G)welcome (C)couldn't stop a(G) sui(D)cide
(D)no one paid attention to (C)Johnny's (G)fate (C)while Cecil was (G)glory(D)fied

chorus
(C)sometimes Johnny(G) don't fit in to(D) society
(C)he's got wounds that (G)nobody (D)else can see
(C)Johnny left his(G) soul behind on a(D) foreign shore
(G)just another victim (A)of the God damn (D)war

we sent Johnny off to war who besides his sister wept
now Johnny's life it has changed forever so you were safe while you slept
some innocent thug lost his civil rights Johnny lost both his legs
no one cares if Johnny walks again their marching for the ghettoes dregs

chorus

we sent Johnny off to war who besides his wife shed a tear
when Johnny came home he was a different man sometimes he just disappeared
Johnny's wife she don't understand he struggles with sobriety
Johnny's wife left him now he's all alone she's just another casualty

chorus

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: Johnny

Great song but then I'm a sucker for songs that tell a story.

3 (edited by Grah1 2015-08-24 20:49:51)

Great song  Mojo powerful lyrics

touching words. it's such a shame that those people that risked their lives and came home missing limbs or just wounded in one way or another are not worshipped as the heros they deserve to be.

i know your song is about US vets, but we have much the same stuff happening here. we have druggies and alcoholics getting money thrown at them by the government and our vets have to fight for every penny. good work enjoyed the recording.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-08-25 00:29:44)

Mojo

I am in complete agreement that  veterans are neglected. 
There are two poems that resonate with me.
the first :

I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A  Soldier

Ten million soldiers to the war have gone,
    Who may never return again.
    Ten million mother's hearts must break
    For the ones who died in vain.
    Head bowed down in sorrow
    In her lonely years,
    I heard a mother murmur thru' her tears:

Chorus

I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier,
    I brought him up to be my pride and joy.
    Who dares to place a musket on his shoulder,
    To shoot some other mother's darling boy?
    Let nations arbitrate their future troubles,
    It's time to lay the sword and gun away.
    There'd be no war today,
    If mothers all would say,
    "I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier."

Verse 2

What victory can cheer a mother's heart,
    When she looks at her blighted home?
    What victory can bring her back
    All she cared to call her own?
    Let each mother answer
    In the years to be,
    Remember that my boy belongs to me!

The second is Alfred L. Tennyson's  Charge of the Light Brigade

My favorite verse ......

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

I have 6 bothers - 4 of whom served in the military....
all while my mom was left with a farm, 3 girls and an infant -  ( Me) and  her husband burned to death in an industrial accident.
She never complained, never committed suicide

I grew up in the Viet Nam war era.... it was awful.

One of my best friends in college was a Viet vet.... Left U.S. as a farm boy, came back a deranged druggie
Now .... crazy as a loon , but still a great guy. 

When we pay millions of dollars to someone to play golf, baseball , football  or anything else   and then turn around and tell a vet that we're out of money for psych help or to keep vet hospitals going - there is something drastically wrong with society.

War is hell - no doubt about it.... look at the senseless battles where thousands died for a few feet of turf.
It would be best to make a rule that whoever decides to go to war.... their sons and family have to go first.

I make my 8th graders read Johnny Get Your Gun .... when we do WWI.   Very moving story.

As far as Cecil, you could have picked a thousand other examples of pedistilling - like making athletes, celebrities of all kinds,  and Hollywood stars.... seemingly  Gods before our very eyes...........all Bullshit to me..... but Cecil was and is  a social issue that deems notice as well. Dissing that is incorrect, putting it in perspective is a requirement of the reader. I know it does not parallel any human life, but it is still important.
I think you are wrong that no one cares... many of us do in fact care.

With that sdaid  however..... - I am grateful for every veteran that wears  or has worn a uniform.  War is hell, always will be.
Your words are powerful and well intended and I thank you for that.

and now to tie two threads together...

Phil Wrote a poem about spousal abuse ----

I sent a site that includes this fact
The number of American troops killed in Afghanistan and Iraq between 2001 and 2012 was 6,488. The number of American women who were murdered by current or ex male partners during that time was 11,766. That's nearly double the amount of casualties lost during war.

No telling how many committed suicide and went unreported .....
Freaking life is tough -  it can be cruel......   HOPE everyone on Chordie has a GREAT LIFE  and never has to deal with such stuff !

I liked your song... well done Mojo- never expect anything less from you smile !

Love you all and I hope war some how stops .... bc the next WW will probably be the last ... and I just found out that I am going to be a grandfather to a baby boy in January.

You are one of the best MOJO --- keep 'em coming...

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Mojo

I am in complete agreement that  veterans are neglected. 
There are two poems that resonate with me.
the first :

I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A  Soldier

Ten million soldiers to the war have gone,
    Who may never return again.
    Ten million mother's hearts must break
    For the ones who died in vain.
    Head bowed down in sorrow
    In her lonely years,
    I heard a mother murmur thru' her tears:

Chorus

I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier,
    I brought him up to be my pride and joy.
    Who dares to place a musket on his shoulder,
    To shoot some other mother's darling boy?
    Let nations arbitrate their future troubles,
    It's time to lay the sword and gun away.
    There'd be no war today,
    If mothers all would say,
    "I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier."

Verse 2

What victory can cheer a mother's heart,
    When she looks at her blighted home?
    What victory can bring her back
    All she cared to call her own?
    Let each mother answer
    In the years to be,
    Remember that my boy belongs to me!

The second is Alfred L. Tennyson's  Charge of the Light Brigade

My favorite verse ......

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

I have 6 bothers - 4 of whom served in the military....
all while my mom was left with a farm, 3 girls and an infant -  ( Me) and  her husband burned to death in an industrial accident.
She never complained, never committed suicide

I grew up in the Viet Nam war era.... it was awful.

One of my best friends in college was a Viet vet.... Left U.S. as a farm boy, came back a deranged druggie
Now .... crazy as a loon , but still a great guy. 

When we pay millions of dollars to someone to play golf, baseball , football  or anything else   and then turn around and tell a vet that we're out of money for psych help or to keep vet hospitals going - there is something drastically wrong with society.

War is hell - no doubt about it.... look at the senseless battles where thousands died for a few feet of turf.
It would be best to make a rule that whoever decides to go to war.... their sons and family have to go first.

I make my 8th graders read Johnny Get Your Gun .... when we do WWI.   Very moving story.

As far as Cecil, you could have picked a thousand other examples of pedistilling - like making athletes, celebrities of all kinds,  and Hollywood stars.... seemingly  Gods before our very eyes...........all Bullshit to me..... but Cecil was and is  a social issue that deems notice as well. Dissing that is incorrect, putting it in perspective is a requirement of the reader. I know it does not parallel any human life, but it is still important.
I think you are wrong that no one cares... many of us do in fact care.

With that sdaid  however..... - I am grateful for every veteran that wears  or has worn a uniform.  War is hell, always will be.
Your words are powerful and well intended and I thank you for that.

and now to tie two threads together...

Phil Wrote a poem about spousal abuse ----

I sent a site that includes this fact
The number of American troops killed in Afghanistan and Iraq between 2001 and 2012 was 6,488. The number of American women who were murdered by current or ex male partners during that time was 11,766. That's nearly double the amount of casualties lost during war.

No telling how many committed suicide and went unreported .....
Freaking life is tough -  it can be cruel......   HOPE everyone on Chordie has a GREAT LIFE  and never has to deal with such stuff !

I liked your song... well done Mojo- never expect anything less from you :) !

Love you all and I hope war some how stops .... bc the next WW will probably be the last ... and I just found out that I am going to be a grandfather to a baby boy in January.

You are one of the best MOJO --- keep 'em coming...

Jim

Jim you are right there are lots of people who care, my son did two tours in Afghanistan with the USMC. I to grew up during Viet nam I never served  in the military . I am part of a non profit group that friends and I started to help wounded veterans. as for Cecil I don't think it was right that he got shot  as part of a canned hunt  and I am glad that people are writing songs about him. but being a gun toting truck driving conservative southern boy who works in the oil field well I saw a post on face book comparing Cecil and how veterans commit suicide each year and  it set me to thinking   and Johnny was the result. i guess what I was trying to say is people don't appreciate the freedom they have or the price paid by the brave men and and women in all the armed services in the free world. ok im gonna get off my soap box now

out of tune out of key and out of touch

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-08-25 11:54:55)

Mojo

There are none braver or more deserving of proper respect.
I put the light brigade in there b/c I feel that as it suggests - the government just sends young men and women all over and asks them to sacrifice, follow orders, and don't ask why.

My son in-aw is heading out for deployment in November to God knows where - he flies Air Force planes.
I am on board with your point of view - it sickens me when I see them pour millions into prisons to make it bearable for inmates, but then tell us there is no funding for GI jobs or VA Hospitals.
Every Veterans day at our small school, our senior class hosts all the local veterans for a breakfast. It is awesome as they each take the mic and tell a short story of their service.  The elementary children sing for them The class members mingle with the vets and their families at the tables during breakfast -

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/JK072 … u.jpg.html
I can't figure out to just get the pic to show up so you have to click the link I guess.

I think your song brings up an incredibly complex and  important topic.   

Thanks for your really moving song !!

I was wondering how many of Chordies guys and girls are vets of their own respective nations ?

Jim

P.S.  you sang and played really well too ! smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Tells it like it is. Good song

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.