Topic: Your Music/Your Lyrics: Something A Little More Serious

My friends, y'all are so talented and exceptional at what you create, I've often wondered if someone who's maybe what we consider a "Star", might stick his head in here from time to time, find a song he likes, change a chord or word and then claim it as his/her own.

Do you ever worry about this and do you suspect it might ever have happened?

Being your Number One Fan, I'd hate to see it happen to any of you.

Just concerned and thanks for all you do.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Your Music/Your Lyrics: Something A Little More Serious

quite doubtful I believe.

They have so many rules about where they get their songs

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Don't think I've got much to worry about. I was looking through my poems a while ago (a hundred or more) and hoping someone will find them and "musicate" them someday. It wouldn't bother me ... I'd be flattered.

to be honest i'm always hoping someone might find one of my songs and ask for more. i've given up hoping simon cowel might discover me lol

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

As far as copyright, this site is actually helpful as it provides a date stamp for when something was created. If a star came and ganked a member's stuff this little ol' forum might be exhibit A in the lawsuit.

Well Bill, that is one thing about Chordie keeping all the posts..... if it was posted here, there is a record and helps support claims if it ever should happen.

Both the Poetry and Songwriting sections were (I believe) good additions to the Forums and unique among the various similar sites out there in webland.  So keep the words and music coming!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Gidday Bill
Yeah i wrote a song with the word love in it.
I`ve heard my word used in heaps of songs since.So yeah, i guess
there`s lots of pros stealing songs from Chordie.

The King Of Audio Torture

I think you may have misread my post or mistaken my intentions, easybeat.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Sorry Bill
That was my feeble attempt at humour!

The King Of Audio Torture

No problem, my friend. It's just hard for me to recognize it sometimes. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Lol that was funny.

Copyright law is pretty clear.  You own all rights to works you create the instant you put them in a tangible form.   And one of the great things about Chordie is that it provides a place to record that.   Paper is a good option, too, as it never crashes.  smile

Stars, generally, aren't going to risk the heavy penalties that come along with infringement, although it's been known to happen.    More likely, they would get hold of you and say "I'll give you some money for the right to record this here song...."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I often wonder when we put things up on line will people in a hundred years time come looking for what we put up or will our posts just disapear lost to history.

Not exactly the copyright infringement being discussed but ............

When I was a kid I read a lot of science fiction novels.  In one of the books, the hero was killing time in a spaceport in some far-off galaxy so he went into a bar to get a drink.  In the corner of the bar a folk singer from planet earth was singing a song about the aftermath of the nuclear war that had happened years before.  The song was "She's my radiation baby, she's my teenage fallout queen". The lyrics to the song and the length of the lines and rhyme scheme made me imagine the song being sung in a 1950's ballad style.

Fast forward 20 years ..........

I was working in a nuclear plant on afternoon shift when we got the word there was an accident at the Three Mile Island facility. We knew the event would have a bad impact on our industry.  During lunch, while everyone was discussing what had happened, I remembered the "Radiation Baby" song from the book I'd read 20 years before and jotted down some lyric ideas about a leaking reactor which I later turned into a song I played around campfires and river banks for years.  Although I knew my lyrics were different I wanted to give proper credit for the idea, but was never able to remember the book title or author.

Fast forward another 20 years ............

I played the song one evening at an open mic venue.  One of the attendees often recorded the performances and put them on youtube.  Four years later someone saw the youtube video and commented that I had ripped off someone named George McKelvy.  I figured at long last I'd found out the name of the science fiction book's author.  I googled the name and found a 1960's video of a hippie character singing a song "She's my radiation baby, she's my teenage fallout queen".  I couldn't help but bust out laughing.  I swear I had never heard the song sung or seen it performed by Mr. McKelvy.  One thing I am sure of - we both must have read ther same science fiction books back in the 50's. smile

Sad thing is, I still don't know the book title or author.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

great story ed, ever thought of arranging it into song form? or maybe a sci-fi book of your own? by the way....i'm not joking, i'm a sci-fi fan and think it would make a great time warp story.... think about it.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Have you got in touch with Mr. McIlvey?  He may recall the author of the story.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude