Topic: Online Chord Generator, Is There Such A Thing?

In my writing, I've often wanted to use something like that (I used to have that Fender "Band Onboard") amp, but sold it) so that I could keep my hands free and just pre-program the thing and sing to it.

Is there such a thing (preferably free) and where might one find it?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-06-16 01:26:31)

Re: Online Chord Generator, Is There Such A Thing?

Hi Bill ...

Here's one that I use from time to time, which is easy to use and quite helpful:

https://autochords.com/

Is this anything like what you were looking for? Or are you looking for something that actually plays the music you have in mind?

I used to have a program that once you had the beat you could name the chords and how many beats they played for. Unfortunately it was designed for XP and is now useless. That doesn't help does it? Sorry. hmm

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-06-17 02:45:37)

Tenement Funster wrote:

Hi Bill ...

Here's one that I use from time to time, which is easy to use and quite helpful:

https://autochords.com/

Is this anything like what you were looking for? Or are you looking for something that actually plays the music you have in mind?

Well, that one's a little basic, TF, but it's the right idea. smile

What I want to do, is write the words, decide on its style (12 bar blues, 4 beat rock, etc), then decide on the chord progression, set the rhythm and let the thing play while I sing. I could then also use it as a "play/sing along" type thing.

What Phill describes above sounds right, too.

Thanks Guys

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill, that sounds like some software that Roger has mentioned using a few times.  It's certainly not free though.  I keep eyeballing it every time I get a hankering for a new toy... alas, I don't use the software I already have often enough.  If you're curious though, it's called Band in a Box.  If you're listened to Roger's recordings, you'll know that he basically plugs all the information in there and the software does the rest, except that Roger plays the guitar and sings along with it.  I THINK you can have the software do the guitar parts though. 

I expect Roger will pop in soon with his thoughts on it.  I believe you can even create chord sheets with this software.
Here's their website, if you'd like to check it out more:  http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm

*Website link for informational purposes only, and does not include an endorsement for purchase. I am not affiliated with pgmusic.  I don't know if there are other locations to purchase, possibly at a store like guitar center though. I can't say if it's really great or not, but I would like to try it out some day!*

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Amy and thanks!

Our friend Doug was kind enough to link me from YouTube to a site called "Mp3 Minus One" and I took a look at them. Their library is quite extensive, but their fee is $3.95 a week. I haven't checked it out thoroughly, but I am wondering if one pays $3.95 per song or if it's $3.95 for as many songs as one can download in a week's time? The information they have is a little sketchy, so I'll check it out again. I'm pretty sure it's not the latter, however. smile

There's another one called "Band Minus One" which is shareware and one pays a one time fee ($20.00, IIRC), but the funny thing is, if you select another section, it turns into "One Man Band", another animal entirely. Gotta check that one out a little more as well.

And here's something I found out on my own: If one isn't careful and downloads some of these from CNet whose service is called "downloads dot com" (spelled out so it wouldn't create a link). What happens with them is - they appear first in the list under "ads", and "FREE" in tall letters and what one must watch for is "crapware" such as toolbars, etc., etc. one definitely doesn't want. An example of this crapware is called sweet pack. Once that one gets into your machine it's as hard to get rid of as snot on one's finger. I had it once and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to erase/delete it.

So I did as Doug instructed and went directly to the product's website (after seeing it on YouTube) and will download from there once I define exactly what it is I need.

I will look forward to hearing from Roger and finding out about the service he uses and maybe with all of us together investigating it, I can find just the right service.

As always, huge thanks for "looking after me" in this and other matters. Dondra says hi and sends hugs times a million.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Yeah, be very careful with downloads for sure, Bill!  There's certainly a lot of junk out there that can sneak itself into various places on your computer.  As you're already in contact with Doug about your computer's health/safety, I know you're in good hands!  smile  I used to like CNet's download service.  One upon a time the files found there were a bit more trustworthy.  I don't think they have any files available that would do irreparable damage, but "crap-ware" is certainly still a possibility.  When ever I fix a friend or family member's computer that "just isn't acting right" the first thing I find 99% of the time is some of that junk.

It sounds to me like maybe you need to do some searching for midi players.  Basically, that's what you're wanting at the heart of it all.  Enter chords, have them play automatically.  I know a LOT of recording software has that capability.  The loved by many, Audacity probably can do that as well. BUT - a LOT of the recording software isn't super easy to use.  Audacity can be tricky to navigate and get it to do what you want it to do.  That's why I mentioned the software Roger uses.  I haven't seen it in action, but I am left to understand it has quite a simple layout.  There's got to be some software or websites out there that can do something similar at a more simplistic level.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

8 (edited by Doug_Smith 2016-06-18 17:11:56)

Good Morning Y'all,  Well I've kinda been keeping in touch with Bill on the "back channel" and perhaps I should put this out there for other's benefit as well.
Thanks to Amy (and her fine memory) the application Roger has been using is "Band in a Box".... an alternative to the "Garage Band" that our Apple "Fans" will remember.
There was a time when all us PC users were envious that it was not ported to Windows so we too could play around with it (or was it just me?).  Well I'm one of those "open source Geeks" and with a little looking I found something "close" in LMMS...... for those of you willing to experiment the link is:  www.lmms.io
It is "cross platform open source" so there are versions for all three major OSs, at the preferred cost of FREE (donations gladly accepted) !!

[This is where I should just copy Amy's disclaimer.... re: I don't work for them, I'm not endorsing the software, Yada  yada  yada....  You get it.]  wink

HAVE FUN!!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare