Topic: Boss Chorus Pedal vs Marshall AS100D internal effects

A few days ago my brother presented me with a Boss Super Chorus CH-1 for my birthday. I decided to size it up and compare what I could get from it with internal effects selectable from the Marshall AS100D amp, the only one I have at this time. I turned off the internal effects on the amp and played with the four dial controls on the chorus pedal (Effect Level, Equalizer, Modulation Rate, Modulation Depth). The pedal knobs, since they aren't level selective (eg. 1-10) but variable from none to max, gave me quite a variation selection. And, I must say that I was pretty much able to reproduce nearly everything I could from the Marshall internal effects selections. I do think that this pedal will give me a great deal of versatility on another amp which may not have its own internal effects. And in the not-so-distant future, as old as I am, I may not want to lug that AS100D around as much as I enjoy doing it now. So I really don't know if this post is designed to plug the Boss Super Chorus CH-1 or the Marshall AS100D. The pedal IS a lot less expensive, and for the cost, the amp is a great buy. But if you've got an bare-bones amp and HAVE to add effects, the Boss Super Chorus is a great addition. I'd also venture to say that if their other pedals carry the clout this one does, they'd also be a great addition to one's equipment bank.

Re: Boss Chorus Pedal vs Marshall AS100D internal effects

Well written review there Kevin !!  Surely knowing what you mean about not always expecting to be interested in "toting" all the weight in gear from one venue to another, so good information from others is the best way to determine if a particular piece of kit will do the task without the hernia.

Thanks for posting.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-07-09 10:42:21)

Great review of your gear!

I agree with you completely, about a "bare bones amp" with external effects pedals. It allows the guitarist to preset the amp to a setting they like, and then change effects as needed right at the tip of your toes. And it's pretty hard to find fault with Boss gear ... very well-made and user-friendly.

I think I'd rather a pedal than an amp with the effects myself.  Who wants to get that close to the amp to adjust effects when everything's on anyway?  Burns the ears a little at times!  smile  THANK YOU for sharing your review Kevin.  It confirms some thoughts I've been mulling around lately!

We have a decent amount of gear in this house.  I pretty much just use an acoustic unplugged, but sometimes will plug into my acoustic amp and plug in a microphone for fun (mostly for the kids to pretend they're on stage).  There's an amp with tons of effects, there's a pedal with tons of effects, and the hubby just put a mod board in an electric.  He's mostly been using the electric with the mod board in it though my acoustic amp.  It's interesting how one may think they need all kinds of stuff, only to find out that they would have liked the sound and ease of use better if they'd have just gone down the cheap road to start!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Where's NELA? I know he moderates here, so if you're out there, you CRAZY CAJUN smile smile smile , let me know. Been missing you and your posts!

Always

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Doug_Smith wrote:

Well written review there Kevin !!  Surely knowing what you mean about not always expecting to be interested in "toting" all the weight in gear from one venue to another, so good information from others is the best way to determine if a particular piece of kit will do the task without the hernia.

Thanks for posting.

Doug, Thanks for the reply. My brother suggested that I come up with a portable cart so that I could unload the amp from my car into it and then wheel all my gear at one shot to the venue. I'll definitely be taking that to mind because it took all of three loads (two not so heavy -just bulky) to get all of my gear into the retirement home that I played. I guess, from what I've learned from others, that's just part of the benefits of playing public - you get all the exercise you'll ever need! LOL!

That fella that invented the Wheel Was A Genius !!  Now if someone could just figure out a way to shrink a full Drum kit into a briefcase..... Mark's set was a full pickup load all by itself.  Guess that's why there are "Roadies"!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare