Topic: What "Thank You" Means To Me

Sorry if this sounds a bit sophomoric - akin to an "What I Did Last Summer" essay -  but sometimes that's how I like to express myself and besides, if you substitute "Summer" with "The Last Ten Days", you'd be spot on, my friend!

It was during this period of time that my 8 year old computer finally gave its "last gasp" and died - even though I did not know it at the time.

Because my  closest friends and family reside here on CHORDIE, I phoned one of them in the hopes that the both of us could come up with "something" that would buy me a little more time before I would have had to lay out some serious bucks for a new machine.

Before I reveal the name, let me just explain that from day one to day ten we spent many, many minutes on the phones together - sometimes two and three times a day and sometimes,  I was certain, we'd both rather be doing something else. If this was the case, however, my friend never let on. We kept trying this, that and the other in the confidence that this next "thing" we'd do, would get my computer back working again, but sadly it was not to be, and I will explain that in a moment as well.

As I believe I have explained here many times before, I am very cognizant of not taking advantage of anyone, even to the point of not speaking up when I know darn well I should - just to keep from sitting around miserable and it is this "trait" (I believe) that makes my friend wanna kick my butt sometimes. smile

So if I'm thanking you or whoever else is reading this post, you may rest assured, it is done with the most humble of hearts and remembrance.

I am speaking of our friend Doug,  of course; one of the most selfless of persons I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Both Dondra and myself were just "floored" by his patience, kindness and perseverance throughout this "ordeal" of mine!  I call it an "ordeal", because I spend so much time online, not only on CHORDIE with my family, but with gaming, guitar practice and every now and then even paying a bill or two on my bank's website. smile

Neither one of us knew it at the time, but my computer was "shot". I just didn't want to let it go ahead and die. The motherboard was just about gone and so was its chip. The guy at the shop said it would have needed three fans, a power supply, a new MOBO and even then, he couldn't have given me any kind of guarantee it wouldn't break down the day after I got it back.

Doug and I didn't know this at the time, however, and I believe that this is just the kinda guy he is: The poster of the frog in the crane's neck which reads, "Never, EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!" I am of the opinion that Doug wouldn't have and would have my back even today and so I am very grateful to have him as such a good friend.

Sorry for the length of the topic, but it needed to be "said".

Thank you, Doug.

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: What "Thank You" Means To Me

Awww Shucks.....  What can I say Bill?  Except You are Welcome Anytime.
We had some good conversations too My Friend !  Pleased as punch you are back among the "fold" so to speak.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

well done Doug and thanks for getting Bill back on line and in the fold.

i know how traumatic it can be when your trusted and beloved PC logs out for the last time, mine was an XP and held all my recording and recordings stuff, i had to buy a new one which wouldn't run those programs, then the win10 upgrade almost sent me up the wall.

so the PC's dead....long live the PC

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Well-deserved and well-done, Doug!

He is a grand fellow, that Doug!!

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I've said it a million times, it's the members here that make this such a good forum!  Doug, nice job!  Bill, nice job as well.  Thank you for sharing with us your appreciation in what Doug has done for you, it's a good post that makes a gal smile.  smile

RIP computer.  Glad you're back with us Bill!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-08-05 22:56:02)

Well done Doug for guiding Bill and Lady Dondra's canoe back to Chordie Land.
Bill it is an honour to have you here with your interesting insights.
You are never boring and a inspiration along with Dondra.
Love to you both.
From Me and Maree
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/phone-my-guitar

Hi, Pete and Maree and EVERYONE!

Thanks for the kind words and I say again: for folks who will probably never meet in real life, I think all of us here have come as close as we possibly can to  being family. Just my opinion, but it's what music does for folks like us.

Love y'all!

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Peatle Jville wrote:

Well done Doug for guiding Bill and Lady Dondra's canoe back to Chordie Land.
Bill it is an honour to have you here with your interesting insights.
You are never boring and a inspiration along with Dondra.
Love to you both.
From Me and Maree
https://soundcloud.com/eatleville/phone-my-guitar

For my friend Pete

Here's what your song reminded me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgR4SDxBJAo

Man! I think you on that phone/guitar and me on drums could really do your tune JUSTICE my friend. I wish you continued success with your compositions!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

10 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-08-07 02:18:26)

Thank you Bill if I was a young man again I would be calling on your drumming services.I enjoyed playing that video Bill,I love the Who. That song is relevant today as when it came out.  I met Roger Daltry  briefly  the singer from the Who once over in London he was a genuine down to earth nice guy. He  does alot  of work for good causes. Another one of my music heros Peter Green who was a wonderful Blues guitarist I use to see around alot when I was over in  Richmond, London. Unfortunately too many drugs had affected Peters mental state. Our friend Chris was playing bass for him in the recording studio unfortunately the project wasn't finished as Peters mental state deterioratied so they couldnt complete the project. Peter has started playing a bit again he has some stuff up on youtube and his time with Fleetwood Mac is well documented..