Topic: call me dumb...but...

o.k.so here's the thing... how do i get the melodies for some of these songs. i know...stop laughing...am i just having an excrutiating blonde day or am i missing something obvious.  when you're done cracking up,explain...pleeeze.

Re: call me dumb...but...

Hi nadine2 - Actually, it is a very good question!  The simple answer is, "You make up you own melody."  I know that is not the answer you were hoping for, but that is the only one there is.

Generally, the chords and meter of the lyric might suggest a certain 'feel', but the exact feel might be different for each player.  I posted a song several months ago for Valentine's Day (With You) that 2 other songwriters then recorded separately.

The results were marvelously unique - Upyerkilt's version was a great throbbing rock & roll take, and Roger Guppy's was a very soft and romantic folk version.  Here is a link to that song's thread:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1258
I think the links to the recorded versions are also somewhere in the thread.

So - use the bare bones of the lyrics and chords provided and let the spirit move you!

I also noticed your posting on the Oud thread - great stuff.  The history of musical instruments offers us fascinating insight into cultural tides and technological advances.  Here is nifty bunch of folks who like to make music on sackbuts, crumhorns, shriari, and other lovely relics:
http://www.waits.org.uk/

James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey Nadine - James is 100% right. Some of the songs are recorded on the songwriters myspace pages, youtube, or on the Friends of Chordie MySpace page but most are still in their heads of the authors. So try the chords out, and think about it and see what you think the melody is...and you'll be right! It's kind of cool really.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hey,thanx...i somehow knew that would be the answer! i did try some of the songs and was pleasantly surprised. i suppose it's what u put in...but the jumpstart of lyrics and chords really help!

Hello Nadine,

I spend a lot of time in the Songwriting section as I find it rather exciting. Words and chords to a song you have never heard before and you can put you own 'stamp'on it.

The tempo, style of play and melody are what YOU choose it to be. Your version may be completely different you how the composer envisioned it but that is fine. I think playing these songs actually helps develop your own ability and who knows, a single phrase or chord sequence may even encourage you to write your own song.

By the way my version of "With You" is no longer on MySpace but e-mail me if you want me to send you a copy of it.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger,
Thanx for the copy of the song. Actually it's exactly what i wanted.  I wanted to see how different your version turned out from my own! Like I said, give me a song and I can transpose it for you in no time(it's not as difficult as most people think!) but finding lyrics to put to the music, there lies the rub. What I meant to convey was that book learning or lack thereof doesn't make what kind of musician you are. Knowing the theory certainly helps but it doesn't automatically make you a better musician. I think passion for the music does. Even someone like me who's been studying music her whole life battles with something that someone else finds easy...and that's why I like the songwriting forum so much because when ,like me, you have the music but not the words...well you can figure it out. Thanx again for the copy!

hi nadine, 
     it was my very 1st time to write in this page... only i want is to be friend with you... im also a music lover deeper it goes... :cool

Hey Jassni,
That sounds cool! If you write songs, post them here and I'll try them out. Like I said...I have the music just not the words!

Hi nadine,

See like what James said about me and roger taking the lyrics and chords for one of his songs, well that was a wee experiment we done in Feb. just to see what it would turn out like.

I would do more of them i this computer was not so tempramental with my recording. Some days it will not allow me to do it, other days I could do it all day. I get fed up and dont record so many now.

sometimes with your own melody to someone elses song you might find you have to change a chord or two to make it fit to your style,

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending