1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-08-28 09:07:26)

Topic: the ballad of the broken dream boulevard

Dear administrator, moderators and fellow chordians. This is my FIRST song I put on CHORDIE. I still have no lyrics and I wanted to have some serious advise concerning the lyrics. I tried to make the way of playing it as good as I could. I do speak 5 languages, and my ENGLISH has improved a lot since I am a chordian. About the song, I can tell you that the title can be changed, because it's still a "working title", and the lyrics I have in mind, are about our dreams, desires, relations, compared with a big and long road ( a good title would be "the long and winding road" but I think this title is already in use. The "essence" of the song is about, as I wrote, dreams becoming reality and like millions of people our dream balloon explodes, mostly caused by a fear to loose someone: if not "dead" than "alive" always turning around COMMUNICATION and STANDING WITH BOTH FEET ON THE GROUND. So, if you have some lyrics in mind I would be grateful and about the music: I tried to show very clear the way I play it. It is more difficult than you think. I am just using 2 chords, but in fact there are a lot more chords.
Other question: DO YOU LIKE THIS SONG, and MORE: DO YOU THINK THAT I SHOULD ADD A BRIDGE, like going from A7 to a C chord?
Please help me, it wasn't easy to put it here, it took me almost 2 hours, and still I am not self assured.
This is also the reason, why I changed this topic, because I forgot to tell you about the things I mentioned.

Starting in D

x    x    x    x    x    x
x    x    x    o    x    o
x    x    x    x    o    x    than you go to the first fret like this

x    x    x    o    x    o
x    x    x    x    x    x    sliding down to the first fret sounds maybe a little bit Pink Floydish.
                                   and immediately you go back to D. That chord is followed by an A7

x    x    x    x    x    x
x    x    o    x    o    x     and you can, but not necessary do the same movement as you did with D
                                    a QUICK slide down to the first fret, immediately back to A7.
The more difficult part is taking chords and going up, starting with A7, don't change your position of your fingers when sliding, or strumming up, both ways are nice like this:
x    x    x    x    x    x (4th fret)
x    x    o    x    o    x (5th fret)--------> here you take the A7, like above, moving up to the 5th fret.

x    x    o    x    o    x (7th fret)------> you slide (or strum) back to the 5th fret, and back to A7

From A7 on 2nd fret back to D, but here is the more complicated part, because you have to go up, to the 5th fret, the 7th fret and to the 10th fret, changing your finger position as shown. I swear it is not as easy as it looks, because of the position of your fingers changing every fret I mentionned.

x    x    x    o    x    o  (2nd fret)
x    x    x    x    o    x  (3th fret)

x    x    x    x    o    o  (5th fret)
x    x    x    o    x    x  (6th fret)

x    x    x    o    x    o  (7th fret) and than up to the 10th with fingers placed like on the 5th
x    x    x    x    o    x

x    x    x    x    o    o  (10th fret)
x    x    x    o    x    x. (11th fret)

You go back to the D second fret, using the SAME POSITION OF YOUR FINGERS, from the place you were: 10th fret and the SAME way back over the 7th, 5th to the D chord.
Try it, and let me know something. It is finished and not finished, there is in fact no refrain, and I didn't use a bridge yet.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: the ballad of the broken dream boulevard

Golly - Would love to hear this, Phil.  Sort of hard to interpret your notations, but looks as though you have something quite interesting.  Regarding being 'finished/not finished' - every song I have ever written has only been 'finished' for the time being.  I always consider that I might alter the song somehow whenever the mood strikes me, or if I suddenly have a better idea.

For me, part of the fun of writing songs is that you are really never done - there are always more musical and lyrical ideas to experiment with.  If you need help with lyrics, I'll gladly pitch in and help (in English, since that is the only language I know).  Your working title is quite intriquing - would love to see the rest of the words.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey Phil - sounds pretty interesting so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

As I wrote, it is a very "tricky" song. Only the "o" stands for the place where you have to put your finger. It was in my head, but as the Beatles told us: "we can work it out". I (tried) to play it again, and starting from D, going to fret one, only using the first and third string, back to D, you can hear some Pink Floyd.
I have the impression that this is not a song for starters. But even they can bring more ideas. I have the impression the melody is OK, so no other chords, I have a "heavy" left hand after practicing it, the biggest problem is the speed you need to change fingers.
A very good exercise is "let it grow" by Clapton (461, ocean boulevard). I doon't like quick changes, but the song really sucks if you don't do it.
But where can I find chord diagrams to make it more clear?
Lyrics, I haven't but they will come. I am more a "melody man" than a "lyric" man.
TRY, TRY, TRY because every idea is really welcome.
So I repeat, x= no finger on that place, o= finger on that place.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

You should check out the thread about how to use chordie format to post your songs, or at least use standard tablature.'

Chordpro format description is right here.   http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1957

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Phil,

I must be honest and say that I struggled to interpret your notation here but what I did master sounded fine. As you now have you new BOSS recording device why not record it so we can hear what you intend to be played.

If you have no where to post I let me have a copy and I will put it on Friends of Chordie.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

7 (edited by badeye 2007-08-28 21:13:43)

Thats pretty cool Doc. Love that D chord to the 4th and back to A-7. I played that with a few different strums.It works well
slow and fast.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi Docs,

I now have more understanding of what you are about from your new intro!
But i would like a Chord format!

Thank You

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Badeye, Old Doll and the bosses,almost nobody did hear the song. That's why I worked at least one hour to write it down.
IF I SHOULD THE SONG ON THE RADIO!!!.
No, I am sometimes so shy, (roots: I was always pushed to be the best, and..).
I know that I olay pretty good, and I will use the boss br 600.
Probably I will put more: problem, nice tune: 1 hour later how did it sound.
ut in a honest way, I am quit productive. I asked once dor rhe CLAPTON intro, CROSSROADS, I didn't use it, but there was a "heavy rock song born" I a 100% sure to put a few (60% of the time, instead of 5 minutes: 3 minutes) on myspace or youtube. The more you try those quick changes, the more your left hand will become tired.
I am a huge 3-4 chords song fan, this I called it a complicated 2 chord, I try to do badeys chord, I Forgot: you can slide down too: 1st fret. and I forgot if you take the fingers from A. Or put some C or E, I tried it and a # or b is better and this song is the "final product (90%).
Will try to post some others, but m the 3-4 chord man, they aren't easy.
Thanks, EVEN BAD CRITICS ARE WELCOME, it sucks, I don't like it (if so: tell me why, so I can change things)

HEY Badeye, you know what happened, I tried it, D (the real on 2nd fret), went up, more like sliding up to fret 4, same finger position, it fits very well, but in my opinion it's real great to do that movement 2-3-4 in D, personally I think, or I have the feeling that , telling that the song is finished for 90%, it is a great chord, to make or use it at the end.
PROBLEM: I just played it using a ZOOM 8080, on electric, and using your suggestion is blowing away everyone. Why a problem, I did play it already electric, in an early stage, since I don't have lyrics (I am in a lyricless mood), but I played again, on an ACOUSTIC AMP, using a kind of flanger with delay, and I had one problem, using the D on the 4th fret: within 2 minutes a completely different song. I can write, when the mood is there, I always call it: acoustic mood (don't even try to play electric than), and an electric mood, using it pure, but I like effects real bad, so electric guitar ------ zoom ---- acoustic amp (100 w, so strong amp). I am starting now in D, going up to the 4th fret, wow, what a sound, I think it is to early to put it on this site, but it goes well.
YOU SEE ADMINIMODERATORS, that is one of the reasons for what I think will be the once in a lifetime reunion, but THAT will not be easy. Try to place a topic about who shouls be interessed in a reunion, if a reunion can be realised, I start saving $$ already.