Topic: Played it 'til my fingers bled

Or were all bruised up anyhow.

I'm playing a Fender guitar.  It sounds quite nice, I like it.  My flat mate knows a guy who will lower the action for me, which should help, but even when I have calluses this baby really hurts my fingers.  I think the strings might be a little too rigid.  What strings are good for beginners?

Would this also help when playing barre chords?  I can't seem to master those sons of mothers no matter how hard I try.  Any tips?

cheers smile

Re: Played it 'til my fingers bled

Hi TazFromOz
You don’t say if the Fender is electric or acoustic but the principles apply really to both.
First strings. Tightness of the strings isn’t the issue the gauge or thickness is. Having a lighter gauge can help but a medium (high e 0.13 acoustic) gauge is good starting point for the beginner.
Make of strings well that’s a real arguable point I use Martins on my acoustics it’s a good all-rounder but that’s just me.
Action can again have a bearing on play ability and getting it checked out is not a bad thing.
Also some guitars by there very nature are harder to play than others not ever owning a Fender I can’t say.
Barre chords.
Just go back over the past acoustic posts and see how many there has been about the dreaded barre chords. All have a wealth of tips and such some you might find useful.
And pain in fingers well  I’m afraid that comes with territory.

Good luck
Ark

Hello Taz, I have a fender acoustic and had the same problem at first, got it set up at music store for 45 dollars that inclided new martin lites and now it plays great. A lot
easier on the fingers.

Welcome to Chordie.... Badeye.

PS>  one store said they could do it in an hour, I picked the store that took a week to set it up. I think a  guitar needs time to adjust but I'm no expert.

Have a great day.

one caper after another

I'd say definitely have your acoustic set up professionally. If you're still having issues with finger pain try Elixir strings; they're a little easier on your tips. As far as bar chords go start with F and B shapes, they are the most useful.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

All the previous posters have great info...until you can get it checked out and set up properly you might try this. Tune the guitar down a whole step...then you put a capo on the second fret to play in standard tuning...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

All the previous posters have great info...until you can get it checked out and set up properly you might try this. Tune the guitar down a whole step...then you put a capo on the second fret to play in standard tuning...

As jaygordon75 mentioned above that is a quick fix and will work. But nothing will give you the hand stregnth and take away the sorness except time. Practice, Practice, Practise, it called "paying your dues" we all go through it.

Bootlegger.

I use medium gauge D'addario EXP strings on my Fender acoustic.  I think in most cases you are fine with either medium or light gauge.

I'm using Daddario's "Silk and Steel" chords on my acoustic guitar. They help a lot in playability, very easy to play. Sound is not loud, but it's so round, warm and blended ...

just bend and strech your strings.

I pity the fool!