Topic: changing strings

I have been learning acoustic guitar for a few months and i feel it is time to change the strings as they are beginning to sound a bit dull. What type and guage of string should i be looking for.
I see there are light. medium and heavy guages and i really am confused as to which type i should choose.

Re: changing strings

hmmm,
i would say get the same ones that you already have on, but how do you tell?

Good question!!

No idea,lol. You could maybe take a string from your guitar to a shop and ask them if they can measure it if you have not got a measure device for strings.
I use "extra light" guage for my guitar the 1st E ( thinnest) is 0.010" or 0.25mm

you could try buying medium gauge and try them. then decide from their . If they hurt your fingers too much then go for a lighter one next time but if you do keep playing with them your fingers will toughen up more anyway and you will not notice any pain.
really it depends what sort of sound you want.
A really light guage gives a tinnier sort of sound where heavier gauges are duller,damper sort of sounds.

So, if I were you, I would go for medium if you cannot find out what you are used to playing with.
And remember, when you change your strings your guitar will sound completely different until the new string settle down.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

3 (edited by cytania 2007-12-02 20:42:59)

Guitar shops will often restring your guitar for you for only a few bucks over the packet price. Great chance to see a pro at work and make a note of the gauge they choose to match your current strings.

Ignore all the stuff about heavier gauges improving tone and building finger strength. When you're starting out with playing guitar custom lights are just fine.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

Ignore all the stuff about heavier gauges improving tone and building finger strength. When you're starting out with playing guitar custom lights are just fine.

just ignore it? because you say so? lol

if my advice was wrong then fair enough, but it is not wrong. You may think it is wrong but there is no right or wrong so that makes me not wrong and makes you wrong for telling someone to ignore other advie other than yours.

I will not edit your post since it is quite witty. Lets others see.

ken

Unless your guitar has been modified I would start with whatever the manufactor has recommended...Light gauge is recommended for my guitar but that's because that's what it was originally set up for. Mediums are a good choice for sound and playability and if you are into slide work then heavier the better. Heavy strings can put a bit of strain on a light guitar and some people find them harder to play...one way around that is to tune down a step reducing the overall tension. Also be aware of the difference in the guitar's set-up...ie: if the guitar is set-up for light strings then the heavier gauge might not fit in the nut properly...light strings in a nut for a heavier set-up might rattle or buzz. Checking with the manufactorer's web site will often give lots of good information and/or taking it to a shop and having a profession restring is often worth the minimal investment...   Hopefully that will give you some starting points and then you'll be able to try and find out what works best for you...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

thats an even better reply than the previous replies.

I forgot about the nutt and thickness of strings.
so yeah go take it to a shop, let them do it the first time and fine out what strings they put on

Ken

7 (edited by Tibernius 2007-12-03 20:50:56)

I bought a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings for one of my guitars, they won't fit into the grooves in the nut.
If you've got an Electric try Ernie Ball Regular Slinky or Super Slinky.

Tibernius wrote:

I bought a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings for one of my guitars, they won't fit into the grooves in the nut.
If you've got an Electric try Ernie Ball Regular Slinky or Super Slinky.

Or you set up your guitar just to play that guage of strings. This can be done with a welders tip cleaner set so long as you do not file to deep or you have to replace the nut. (don't try it if you are not confotable doing your own repairs).

Bootlegger.