Topic: scale??? help, anyone?

anyone knows about scale?
i mean, the C scale, D scale and so on....
how does it work?
it was introduced to me by my friend and i was kinda confused,
hope somebody could help me with this...
thanx a lot!!!

Re: scale??? help, anyone?

rokai scales are based on intervals  and the formula is 111 1/2 111 1/2 steps for a major scale in the key of C there are no sharps or flats and the notes are  C D E F G A B C  in D there are 2 sharps F# and C# the reason for this is the above formula and this works for any major key,the sharp in order are G D A E B F G  its easy to figure out which interval is sharp by applying the formula G has 1 sharp D has 2 A has 3 ect.. lets take the G scale the intervals or steps,notes have to follow like this G  A  B  C  D  E  F#  G just use this formula for a major scale
                                                   1  1  1  1/2 1 1   1   1/2

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Perhaps I could add to the reply above by saying that scales relate to melody, while chords relate to harmony.
The scale of C major contains the notes you could choose from in order to sing a tune in the key of C major.
The chord of C major harmonises quite a lot of the notes in the scale.

Learning scales is useful to find your way around the fretboard and to understand the relationship between the notes you sing (tune) and the chords you play to accompany that tune.

Having said all that, I don't really think it is necessary to worry too much about scales, certainly not if you are just starting out and learning chords.

If you are intending, out of interest, to study music theory more seriously, then scales are important, as Russell pointed out.
The same goes for any musical instrument. If you study keyboard formally you will find yourself having to play scales in all the different keys - with both hands simultaneously in similar and contrary motion!
It's a bit like sport. You can do exercises to strengthen certain muscles or train a particular aspect of your performance.

4 (edited by NELA 2008-11-07 13:00:09)

Russell_Harding wrote:

rokai scales are based on intervals  and the formula is 111 1/2 111 1/2 steps for a major scale in the key of C there are no sharps or flats and the notes are  C D E F G A B C  in D there are 2 sharps F# and C# the reason for this is the above formula and this works for any major key,the sharp in order are G D A E B F G  its easy to figure out which interval is sharp by applying the formula G has 1 sharp D has 2 A has 3 ect.. lets take the G scale the intervals or steps,notes have to follow like this G  A  B  C  D  E  F#  G just use this formula for a major scale
                                                   1  1  1  1/2 1 1   1   1/2

rokai, what Russell posted is absoultly correct. If I can, without confusing anything, provide some help here, I will.

The 1  1  1  1/2  1  1  1  1/2 - is:

Step - Step - Step - half step - Step - Step - Step - half step - is"

Key- 2 frets - 2 frets - 1 fret - 2 frets - 2 frets - 2 frets - 1 fret - is:
      C       D           E          F         G           A          B          C

Learning how to "step" the notes will help you with scales but also in transposing a song from one key to another.

nela

Stonebridge wrote:

Having said all that, I don't really think it is necessary to worry too much about scales, certainly not if you are just starting out and learning chords.

I'm going to disagree with this quite strongly.

Chords are derived directly from scales.  If you really want to learn chords beyond rote, you'll learn scales.

By just "learning chords" you are stuck with what you can memorize.  If you understand how chords relate to scales, you can build a chord anywhere on the neck.  Need a 7 chord down there around the 8th fret?  With scales, you can figure that out.

Scales are the very foundation of music.   It's critical to know them in order to really bloom.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
Stonebridge wrote:

I'm going to disagree with this quite strongly.

Chords are derived directly from scales.  If you really want to learn chords beyond rote, you'll learn scales.

By just "learning chords" you are stuck with what you can memorize.  If you understand how chords relate to scales, you can build a chord anywhere on the neck.  Need a 7 chord down there around the 8th fret?  With scales, you can figure that out.

Scales are the very foundation of music.   It's critical to know them in order to really bloom.

Yes, but not at the very start. When you first pick up a guitar (I'm not referring to classical training)  you want to learn chords. (To accompany a song). It really doesn't matter how they relate to the scales initially. I said "if you are just starting out". The scales can come later.
I also said that the scales relate to melody while the chords relate to harmony. Clearly the two exist together.
There isn't much to disagree with really. If you want to learn the theory, you need to understand both. There are many guitarists (and other musicians) who have no idea how the theory (of harmony and melody) works. And don't need to. In my experience, most technical talk of scales and chords simply serves to confuse and discourage the beginner. And, after all, that is what this thread is about. A beginner who has been confused by premature and probably unnecessary talk of scales at this stage.

Stonebridge wrote:

Yes, but not at the very start. When you first pick up a guitar (I'm not referring to classical training)  you want to learn chords. (To accompany a song). It really doesn't matter how they relate to the scales initially. I said "if you are just starting out". The scales can come later.
I also said that the scales relate to melody while the chords relate to harmony. Clearly the two exist together.
There isn't much to disagree with really. If you want to learn the theory, you need to understand both. There are many guitarists (and other musicians) who have no idea how the theory (of harmony and melody) works. And don't need to. In my experience, most technical talk of scales and chords simply serves to confuse and discourage the beginner. And, after all, that is what this thread is about. A beginner who has been confused by premature and probably unnecessary talk of scales at this stage.

The very start is where you want to lay down the foundations.   You should not be learning "just chords" to begin with.  You should be learning chords and scales, and more importantly, why they are important.  They aren't exclusive to one another, they are bound like fibers in a rope.   There may be a few musicians that don't know theory, but the vast majority of the great ones, good ones, and better than me ones do understand it. 

It's like trying to captain a ship without understanding navigation.  Yes, if you keep going in one direction, you might get there, but there are easier ways to do it.

The OP is confused because no one has explained it to him, and people keep telling him he doesn't need to know it.

Scales are where it starts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

With bass guitar I could see jeromes' point here, but in learning and teaching guitar, the core foundation as basis that music is played around, are CHORDS. One building a house doesn't assemble the roof before the foundation is poured and the walls are up. I teach chords before scales with every student I've ever taught ( and there have been many) The professors and guitar instructors that I've studied under, ALL teach CHORDS before scales. It's basic common sense, ya gotta crawl before ya can dance like MC HAMMER.

A typical lesson progression plan will go something like this;
1)Guitar Introduction- what the parts are and what they do
2)How to hold the Guitar
3)How to change strings, how to tune the guitar
4)Chords, basic major and minor
5) Intermediate Chords, 7ths, major7ths, minor 7ths, barre chords, power chord
6) Avanced Chords, diminshed, augmented, 9ths, 13ths, etc....
7)Scales apllied in the order of chords learned( basic, intermediate/advanced)

The real truth is this; to be a solid lead player one must first be a solid rythym player. As always, as in the arena of art, there are a few exceptions to the rule( errrr. BB KING) but my statement applies to "in most cases" scenarios.

CHORDS
then
SCALES
then
RHYTHYM & LEAD ready..................

Give everything but up.

jerome.oneil wrote:
Stonebridge wrote:

The very start is where you want to lay down the foundations.   You should not be learning "just chords" to begin with.  You should be learning chords and scales, and more importantly, why they are important.  They aren't exclusive to one another, they are bound like fibers in a rope.   There may be a few musicians that don't know theory, but the vast majority of the great ones, good ones, and better than me ones do understand it. 

It's like trying to captain a ship without understanding navigation.  Yes, if you keep going in one direction, you might get there, but there are easier ways to do it.

The OP is confused because no one has explained it to him, and people keep telling him he doesn't need to know it.

Scales are where it starts.

I seem to remember when I began learning music theory, it started with note values and counting. Scales came later.

Maybe we should let the original poster decide if the answers received so far have been helpful, and take it from there after getting some feedback.

Until then we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

As the poster has not returned for a while, I can only conclude that either he/she is now happy, or has been left even more confused.
Let's wait and see.

i agree with jerome

music IS my soul