1 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-06-28 22:34:17)

Topic: NMD

I was going to do this in the  earlier thread I started but it seems to be a tradition around here to start a thread for a new instrument day. So here it is. smile

Went to The Guitar Center yesterday to play with as many brands as possible in one stop. Tried the MM, Dean, Epi, Alverez Fender and Washburn. They were all a big step up from the Kay but I walked out empty handed.

This morning I went to a small mom & pop music store. I saw an ad announcing that after 55 years they were closing their store as of July 31. There were a lot of empty spots on the wall but in mandolins they had; 2 Savannah, 1 Johnson, 2 Eastman and 1 Gibson. I never heard of anything but Gibson. By the price I knew the first two were starters. The Gibson was nearly $800 so that was out. That left Eastman. What a sweet piece! The action is nice and low and the intonation is perfect. I can make nice clean chords that I had trouble with on the Kay.  They retailed for $599.00 but one of them was "blemished" and marked down to $475.00. Still a bit more than I wanted to spend so I decided to make an offer. Keeping in mind they were closing the store next month, I pulled out 4 $100 dollar bills and asked if he would accept it. He looked at me for a second and said; "Give me a minute." Went into his office, came back in less than a minute and said; "You got a deal."

So I spent $100 more than I planned, plus $15 for the strap and I'm now the proud owner of an Eastman MD315. I couldn't find the blemish until he pointed it out to me. The scroll on the headstock was apparently broke off during shipping. They had glued it back on and once I knew where it was it was easy to see. Doesn't affect the playability or structural soundness but they felt they couldn't sell it for full retail.

So here it is. Nice natural wood finish.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A88%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D37644873%3C8349nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5827%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E28553964%3B7258ot1lsi

And here you can see the crack where the scroll was glued back on.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36%3B7%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E28553964%3B8258ot1lsi

OK. I've done this before so I don't know why the pics aren't coming up.  I double checked and everything seems to be right. sad

Oppps. Copied the wrong code. Now we got it.

Re: NMD

Happy NMD UJB - All these new instrument posts are giving me a severe case of GAS!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Happy NMD!!!! Crazy shapes on that one.

Sad to hear that the small store is closing down after being around so long.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy nmd day uncle joe,that is a great looking mandolin,I think you got your moneys worth!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's a mondo mando, Joe! Congrats, and I hope you have many happy hours playing it.

Nice Looking Mando! and it seems like it has a good setup and tone from your description.  That little repair has no impact on the tone or structure of the instrument, so I'd say you scored!!

I always liked that classic shape and sound... slightly different from the A body but perfect for country/bluegrass music.

Have fun, and many years of pleasure from your new friend.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Great looking instrument and a good deal, congratulations.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

8 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-06-29 13:04:12)

zguitar wrote:

Happy NMD!!!! Crazy shapes on that one.

Sad to hear that the small store is closing down after being around so long.

I hate seeing all the little stores and shops closing. I support the little guy as much as possible. I would rather have my money stay in the local economy than be shipped off to some conglomerate. I know some of it leaves since so many things are made in China now but I do what I can to it local. But that's a whole different subject.

While I was there in the sound room I couldn't stop myself from taking one of the Eastman guitars off the wall and trying it out. Beautiful, rich sound although it seemed to get a little twangy at the high end. The action was a little higher than my Epi's or Alverez 12 but I've play far worse. At $200-$300, overall, a nice guitar for the price. I may have considered it if I was in the market for another guitar.

Doug_Smith wrote:

I always liked that classic shape and sound... slightly different from the A body but perfect for country/bluegrass music.

Yep. I prefer the F style just for the aesthetic value. I would like to delve into the bluegrass genre once I've become a little more proficient. But I foresee at least a years worth of work to be that comfortable.

I'll bet that grin on yore face looks like one of the "f" holes on that mando. Good looking instrument.

nela

NELA wrote:

I'll bet that grin on yore face looks like one of the "f" holes on that mando. Good looking instrument.

nela

Yeah, that grin showed up as soon as I saw it on the wall but I believe it resembled the scrolls more than the "f" holes. smile Something about the matte, natural wood finish just jumped out at me.

UJB, Eastman are very nice instruments. I was considering an Eastman mandolin before I came across my Morgan Monroe. I love the F-style. And the repair on the headstock, That won't affect the tone or playabilty at all. Great deal.
I bought my MM mandolin thru a small town music store because it was a great deal. I do as much business with a small shop close to my home as I can. I like to support the little guy as much as I can.
Enjoy your NMD !!!

Joe