Topic: I'm a real guitar player now, sort of...

I remember when Zurf had a post something like that.  It had to do with having a guitar strap and learning to play standing up rather than seated.  I have been thinking for a while that I'd like to try that.  There were extra straps laying around, and yet I didn't do it.  And so, for our wedding anniversary, my VERY crafty and artistic husband made one for me.  It's some seriously thick leather, something about belt material and horse bridal and... I don't even know.  But it's awesome!  He tooled the leather, cut, measured, etc.  It ties at the headstock, and slips SNUGLY at the end pin and there's even a belt buckle type deal towards the bottom to make length adjustments.  It's just... wow... really really really NICE!

So, here's a couple pics...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10268438_10204817199448433_6587964776205410651_n.jpg?oh=122f4aadb5ad60c81c80aa0c045544dc&oe=54C6B2E2&__gda__=1418931383_c42afa364ef91cf620b33fbee8b3ef5b  https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10385363_10204817199728440_459320354818227031_n.jpg?oh=83e207dfdc9806f9e4c72861fcbccdb0&oe=54890D83&__gda__=1418296787_8b60b21c2e3aa2bb6aab42ea9a91b145

I edited the second picture's color a little to show the detail better.  The first pic is unedited (other than cropping my hand out).  I love how the color goes so nicely with the mahogany wood of my guitar. 

Ok, so girl stuff and prettiness aside... playing with a strap vs. sitting down.  WOAH!  Big difference!  I wonder if this big difference has a lot to do with my fretting, because I tend to tip the guitar towards me a little while sitting so I can see the fretboard better.  Standing, I can't really do that so much.  I also can't hear the sound of the guitar the same as I could sitting with the guitar tipped up.  I see NOW why people put sound holes in the side!  So, I'm adjusting my fretting because the guitar is now in a slightly different position.  Hmmmm... wonder if I will magically begin to be able to play barre chords?

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: I'm a real guitar player now, sort of...

Well then a Happy Anniversary should go with it!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !!!

As for the Barres..... (don't tell the kids) Magic is a state of mind, practice is the key.

Nice work on the tooling, makes it special.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Happy anniversary and I like the strap

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Cool strap.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy Anniversary, and that is a real thoughtful present from him.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good looking strap,and yes it is a lot different to play standing up,I do it sometimes as I sometimes I find it is easyier too play some songs while standing. Happy Anniversaryand new strap day!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Happy Anniversary Amy! - That's a fine looking strap! Can't wait to see the "stand-up" video!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

mekidsmom wrote:

because I tend to tip the guitar towards me a little while sitting so I can see the fretboard better.

WHAT?!?!?!

You've been playing long enough to know that's a no no. Bad habits.....

When I am teaching a beginner, I tell them that IF they have to look at the fretboard, then lean over it instead of tipping. That way your strum will not be affected when you don't have to look.

Happy anniversary!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Anniversary !!!!

A wise man once told me:
Never stand if you can sit
Never sit if you can lay down big_smile

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks guys!  We won't go into detail about what I got him... but it had something to do with changing my haircolor and other ... um ... look type things.  (hee hee)  We got the kids out of the house, and spent some much needed adult time together.  It was really nice.  We've been on the wrong track for a few years now, bouncing around trying to figure out how to make life work, and I think we've finally got things back to where they belong in our relationship.  smile  It was a VERY good anniversary!

Z - EXACTLY!  Well... kind of.  Actually, my thought was, "rut row scoobie!  I've been doing it WRONG all along and I didn't even realize until NOW?"  So, I've got a LOT of bad habits to overcome w/ the guitar.  But hey, I'm learning something new with just the simple addition of a guitar strap.  Who'd'a thunk?  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

11 (edited by dino48 2014-09-26 00:44:17)

Amy after you use it and get used to it you can tell your hubby you can handle the weight of a Les Paul,christmas is coming!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice looking strap!

I believe you should try it on and model it for us. smile

Yea in what she modeled for Jim ! big_smile big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Congratulations on your anniversary and the new guitar strap.

I just bought my first strap after trying to blend in at Blue Grass jams without one. Not recommended. I hope to field test it this weekend at the jam.
dj

Amy, this example of care from your husband helps to explain why you're celebrating another anniversary. Very nice work, and so very unique and personal.