1 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-07-07 13:19:58)

Topic: I am an Atheist

I have not put much in here for a while, t gets a bit busy and was hard for me to keep up it hall the new songs and mentioning on nearly every one " good song" etc. I felt like a vinyl record with a bit dunt in it making it repeat over and over again.
So, Last niht I was at a pub watching a few punk bands, a guy from my work was in one of the bands " the red eyes". Anyway, a band from my old hometown Clydebank were theret oo, they were called "Hateful" and it was them that gave me the insperation for this new song I wrote.

They made me think I had not head a song about atheism. I have heard songs about god and other religious things as well as songs about hell etc.
So, here is my thoughts put into a song on my beliefs.

I’m an atheist By Ken Godwin

Am                              G                        Am   D Am Asus2 G Am

[Am]I wont say grace or[G] kneel down and [Am]pray[D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am]

I w[Am]ont look to the hea[G]vens and call out a [Am]name[D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am]

I[Am] don’t believe in god[g], Allah or Rah[Am] [D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am]

I’[Am]m an atheist and I’[G]ve got this f[Am]ar

[Am] [D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am] [Asus2] [Am] [D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am]

I don’t need any guidance from any book at all

And preachers can all get together and fall

I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just not my thing

Tomorrow’s another day, lets see what it brings

[Am] [D] [Am][Asus2] [G] [Am] [Asus2] [Am]

You get told when you’re young in what to believe

Then you’re stuck with a label, no exit to leave

At 4 years old they’ve brainwashed you good

Escape when you’re older, I know that you could.

[Am] [D] [Am][Asus2] [G] [Am] [Asus2] [Am]

A[C]hh h[Am]aa [D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am] [Asus2] [Am]

A[C]hh h[Am]aa [D] [Am] [Asus2] [G] [Am] [Asus2] [Am]

We are all just creatures living on the land

We all have good we can all lend a hand

Don’t need no “good"  man how to tell us to live

He’ll put out his hand but expect you to give.

Repeat 1st verse

end on Em

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: I am an Atheist

Hi Ken,

Glad to see you back writing again, it has been a while.

Great chord sequence, I enjoyed playing it apart from the Amsus2 - that is a killer. Sorry I cheated and played Asus2 instead as the jump to the 8th fret and back again without a lot of practice was not feasable. I could not find an alternative shape but I am sure that there must be one, please let me know.

Well done, Sire,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

thanks roger,

Sorted now. I nevr noticed I had amsus2 in there,lol

I trieed playing that chord and apart from sounding not right at all it is terrible chord to play.

Cheers

ken

Ken, this song is a great statement - Some of the most trustworthy, rational, and good people that I know are atheists.  Likewise, some of the most dishonest, loony, and deviant people I know profess to be followers of some established faith.

Seems to me that what a person actually does in life is far more important than any 'brand' of belief system.  Glad to see you back on the Songwriting forum.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey Ken - Great song and great haunting sound as well. I was playing it kind of fast or at least as fast as I could work the chord changes. Hope that was right.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

James McCormick wrote:

Ken, this song is a great statement - Some of the most trustworthy, rational, and good people that I know are atheists.  Likewise, some of the most dishonest, loony, and deviant people I know profess to be followers of some established faith.

Seems to me that what a person actually does in life is far more important than any 'brand' of belief system.  Glad to see you back on the Songwriting forum.  James

My whole system in life when it comes to dealing with people is simple.I don't care about religion, race, color, rich or poor.
Is the person nice or is the person an a$$hole. People tend to show us who they are, it is up to us to believe them.

Ken the song is great. The line '' He’ll put out his hand but expect you to give '' sums up the agenda of almost all types of faith. Keep it up!
Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

this song is now on my bebo page on the play list along with a few other songs

ken

Great chords, sounding good. If I played this I would bring shame to my family, unfortunately. Keep writing anyways, and keep up the good work.

Will

PS: Please don't call me paranormal, it makes me feel like a freak

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

and how do we find your bebo site

on bebo,lol

Upyerkit4fun is my nickname on it.

Ken