Topic: Strumming patterns and chord progressions

Not sure if this is in the right place, but...

I've tried to experiment with a number of different strumming patterns to the few songs I'm trying to write, yet I seem to fall back into a distinct pattern (down, down-up, up-down) no matter what I do. Even my girlfriend comments that everything I play seems to sound the same! It leaves me feeling embarassed. I'm sure it'll come with practice (i.e. getting out of the habit) but for now has anybody got any strumming patterns they can suggest, or web resources where I can check out some new rythums?

Chord progressions: I'm not too clever on adding newer chords to my music, like the more obscure ones (F#m, for example), and usally stick to the common Major and minor chords. (Boring, huh!) One chord progression I love is Am-C-G. What chord progressions to you like, what chords do you combine to get great flow to your music - something I can experiment with and try out.

As this is in the songwriting section - do you guys write the lyrics, or the music first? Just wondering...

Cheers,
Dylan.

Re: Strumming patterns and chord progressions

well what your strumming patern is, is a standard shuffle  listen to other songs with distinctive style like Sunshine of your love during the chorusy part. and let me assure you, i am no tabb guy.  i pretty much only strum with a few riffs thrown in. what i do is try to make the strum take on the words and melody, and when writing my own music take on the meaning of the words in my brain.

as for chord progressions do what sounds nice to you.  play every chord you know in different paterns until you hit what your looking for.  also a different struming patern to the same old chord progressions puts a whole new spin on things.

So Red Delicious

3 (edited by greyeagle_1920 2007-07-23 03:59:37)

For strumming patterns, I drift back to a few familiar ones all the time too, but I've been successful by consciously practicing a different pattern than normal to a basic I-IV-V chord progression (whichever you like best).  Try a reggae pattern (up-rest-up-down-up), then a rock pattern (down-down-down-down), then anything you want to make up yourself.  Play slowly at first, then build up once you've got the pattern.

For chord progressions, right now I think I dream in D.  Everything I try to write seems to gravitate to D-A7-whatever I feel like next.  G is the obvious, so when I want to sound different, I go instead to C or maybe E.  You should keep trying more difficult (and different sounding) chords as well; it will add a great deal to your writing arsenal.  I, like most everyone else on Chordie, have had lots of trouble with barre chords.  I got around it at first by playing Fmaj7 (xx3210) instead of F (133211), and now I like trying to mix in other major 7ths (Dmaj7 - xx0222, for example).

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?  I tend to write lyrics and music at different times, but I'm not sure if either is "first" more often.  I'll write down some nifty-sounding chord progressions when I'm goofing off with the guitar, then later I'll look through a few sets of lyrics and see what might fit together.

Thanks or the answers guys.

Dylan.

oh mmaaaannn do I have a website for you!

check out www.chordstudio.com

slap in some chords, try different progressions, different strum patterns, you'll love it

i heard the sound library is going to double again next week, don't know for sure