1 (edited by stringpopper 2015-01-03 16:26:29)

Topic: popup ads

been off chordie for a while but now that im back I have annoying popup ads that you cant get rid of till the timer on them runs out. very aggrevating and really makes me want to leave. is there a cure for this? never had this problem before.

2 (edited by bluejeep 2015-01-03 17:13:08)

Re: popup ads

Hi stringpopper, I don't have that problem on my computer but my wifes computer does. We can't figure why this is. Do you have a netflix account, I ask this because that is the only difference in our computers, could it be the source of the problem? I don't think the popup problem is from chordie. If anyone has any ideas or possible solutions we would like to hear them and bear in mind I'm really techno challenged.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Greetings Chordians!  We had another thread awhile back addressing this (problem?) further down the section.  The culprits are Google Adsense, Google Analytics, and Quantcast..... not a Chordie issue, but easily overcome by adding the Ad Block Plus plugin to your browser.  I use it and Ghostery, as well as deleting cookies on closing the browser.  No ads no pop-ups and everything displays just as intended.

Some members are using different add ons that get the same end result, so you might want to scroll down the About Chordie section and scan the posts from earlier. 

BJ;  Your comment about Netflix may have some weight, if you commonly watch Hulu or other streaming entertainment that is ad supported, you have to "allow ad-blocking exceptions" for that site (and you can specify, so it just doesn't turn it off for everybody).  That's how they support the service and without allowing the ads, you don't get to have the content. 

Keep us posted & be safe out there;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug, I thought netflix might be the cause of my wifes computer problem so I'll try selective ad-blocking if I can figure out how to do it.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Tom, if you have ad block added to your browser, you would just click on the icon (upper right side of the toolbar in Firefox) and it should open up a menu listing all the items that are running and blocked.  You just scroll down the list and find the one you want to allow and choose disable for this item always.  Usually if there is a conflict, your streaming application will give you a warning advisory that you should disable ad blocking to view content, and you can do it at that time..... saves a bit of sorting on your part.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

I use it and Ghostery, as well as deleting cookies on closing the browser.  No ads no pop-ups and everything displays just as intended.

https://www.ghostery.com/en/

Works like nothing else I've ever used. smile