Topic: Modifying chords in "My Songbook" ONLY.

Author: Chandler mountain man

I am playing with some fellows and they use what they call a "long A" chord, just like A major except instead of the #1 string being open, they fret it at the 5th fret.

Is it possible to create a different chord for "My Songbook" and save it within my songbook?

Also, I have looked at the alternate chords for the one presented and see you can select them but do not know how to store them for "My Songbook" only?  Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

Jerry

Re: Modifying chords in "My Songbook" ONLY.

Hi Jerry,

I think that if you open the song in "my songbook" you can click on the grid you want to change, and it should take you to the alternate grids page where you can choose a different one.  You should be able to click on the replacement and the change will be added to your preferences for that song in your book.

Let us know if that doesn't work for you.  There has been a bit of work going on in the background, and if something isn't quite right we like to know about it so it can be looked into.

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

3 (edited by Chandler mountain man 2015-02-09 04:39:01)

Good evening Doug, thanks for the fast response.

Within my songbook, I am able to click on the chord to be changed, pick an alternate chord and it will remain there as long as I keep that window open.  If I then click on My songbook Tab and repick the changed song/chord, it will show the original chord, not what I changed it to.

In addition, I am playing with a group that uses the A major chord, #2,#3 and #4 strings on 2nd fret PLUS the #1 string (normally open) on the 5th fret  so my main question is am I able to "create" my own chords in my songbook only?

Thanks again for the fast response.

Jerry

4 (edited by Doug_Smith 2015-02-09 06:50:49)

Hi again Jerry,  Yeah..... I hadn't thought about that.  I really thought that the preference would "hold".  That may not be the case, but you might try making the change and THEN add it to your songbook (which will likely give you two instances of the song in your book).  Then compare the two and see if your modification persists in one of them.

My thought is that you may have to "save" the changes in order to have them stay there, otherwise it just will reload the original from the web when you open it again.

I'm not sure what to do if your "long A" isn't in the grids and I don't know how one would go about importing it from another source. I've seen that fingering before noted as above, and A+,  although technically it would be considered an A8 ...... ???? so what do you name it?

Let me know;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

In the dim recesses of my brain I was sure this has been brought up before Jerry. This links will take you to the discussion that I think answers your question:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21939
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18897

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Doug_Smith wrote:

...I'm not sure what to do if your "long A" isn't in the grids and I don't know how one would go about importing it from another source. I've seen that fingering before noted as above, and A+,  although technically it would be considered an A8 ...... ???? so what do you name it?...
Doug

This "old timer" who showed it to me called it a "long A".

Jerry

CMM, Welcome to the forum. I, too, play with a group of folks who play a "long" A as you discribe. It is also used a a moveable chord to make a Long B chord by simply moving your freting hand up 2 frets. To go from a Long A chord to a A7 chord they will bring their pinky in fron the 1st string 5th fret to the 1st string 3rd fret. Sound great going from an A chord to an A7 chord then to a D chord. ( Long B to a B7 follows the same movement with the pinky. These are good chords and why they are not shown on the chord chart I can't answer.

Nela

8 (edited by Chandler mountain man 2015-02-09 15:19:45)

NELA wrote:

...It is also used as a moveable chord to make a Long B chord by simply moving your freting hand up 2 frets...Nela

Thanks for jumping in NELA, I saw the long B chord played that night but had never seen it before so didnt have a clue as to what it was.  This is a very friendly group of guys but they had all played together before, many times, and I didnt want to interrupt and ask questions as this was my first time playing with them.

Also NELA, how would I become a Chordie Editor?

Jerry

In my previous post concerning the Long A (or Long B ) chord and changing to a A7 (or B7) chord I said that the pinky finger is brought in from the 5th fret 1st string to 3rd fret 1st string - well you can't do that. The pinky finger is picked up and the middle finger is used on the 3rd fret (5th fret for the B7) Just a senior moment on my part.

CMM, not sure of the steps needed to become an editor but, I'm sure, it won't be long until someone with that knowledge piosts a reply. Keep checking.

Nela

Doug_Smith said "...you might try making the change and THEN add it to your songbook (which will likely give you two instances of the song in your book).  Then compare the two and see if your modification persists in one of them..."

This did not work for me Doug.

Of note, in the PmWiki CookBook there is this statement

There are some other directives, notably the {define} brouhaha, that we'll politely ignore until they become relevant.

which implies the define statement is not implemented at this time.  I do not know when the PmWiki and this statement about define was written.

Jerry

Roger Guppy wrote:

...These links will take you to the discussion that I think answers your question:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21939
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18897

Roger

Hello Roger, I tried the links but was unable to resolve my problem.

I was able to define a chord I called Al (for A long) and it attempted to put up a grid but nothing was printable.

Thanks for the links.

Jerry