Topic: Lack of inspiration

Since my surgery a couple of months ago I've not been able to write any new songs other than the drug addled Full Circle that I posted just after I came home.I need inspiration ,feels funny not being able to produce some new material.

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-06-14 22:16:38)

Re: Lack of inspiration

I'm not a song-writer, but find inspiration for poetry just by observing. To prevent staleness, I try observing different things, people, places, events, etc. from unusual angles (imaginative, humorous, absurd, critical, cultural, etc.) and something will often come to mind. My trick is to avoid what is normal / usual / customary / commonplace. The more outside of my daily routine, often the better inspiration it will provide. I don't know if this any good to you, but might be worth a try.

how about something relating to your hospital and or your ailiment. I can also see you doing a song in your Blue's style about Freight trains coming and your leaving on on one. Freight trains songs are populer over here. Just a thought.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

how about something relating to your hospital and or your ailiment.

Or maybe something silly to get you started; like all the potential side effects of the drugs you may have had to take.

I don't know what it's like across the pond but on this side, drug companies have be running an advertising blitz for quite a few years touting the benefits of their latest concoction of chemical remedies. By law they also have to tell you about any potential side effects. And as anyone that watches TV over here can tell you, there are often more side effects than benefits.

Gidday Grah
I think these guys have given you the answer
`Side effect blues`  sounds like a good idea?
B.

The King Of Audio Torture

I feel your pain Grah.

I think all songwriters have periods of time when they think the muse has left them.  Do you usually come up with a tune first then add lyrics (more common to rock and bluegrass) or start with a lyric/hook and add the melody later? (folk/country)  I'm more of a folk song writer and lyrics are the most important to me so I've developed what I call the "list" method of jump-starting my writing when I have "down" periods.  I'll pick a subject (example: Things that make me happy) then make a list of things that bring a smile to my face (children laughing, watching an eagle fly, spending time with my family).  I'll choose items from the list that would make good verses for a song, figure out a rhyme scheme, and just start doodling.  It seems to get my creative juices flowing and soon I'm thinking about a hook, melody, etc and I'm on my way again.  Another thing I've done is think of a subject that would be interesting for a song and look up famous quotes on the subject.  I'll "steal" an interesting part of a quote to use as a hook, fall back to my "list" method of items/ideas that support the hook and then choose the best ones to work into verses.

A friend that tends to start with the tune/melody when writing his songs told me that a trick he uses is to turn on a radio in another room but keep the sound at a level that can be barely heard. His ears catch bits and pieces of tunes and his mind fills in the blanks.  Soon he has a new tune waiting for lyrics to be added.

Have you ever tried any of the ideas I've mentioned? Maybe they'll help get you going again. I'm sure you have some of your own tricks.  Are you willing to share any?  I've been in a "slow" period myself lately and could use some fresh ideas and alternative methods for getting the old brain jump-started and chugging along again.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Funny  thing  was  guys   just  after I  posted this  thread I  had an idea  which  might   be  good .
I  always  start   with   lyrics  Ed  as I feel that  lyrical  content  is  important  although  some times  I've written songs  that  I  feel  are  just   for  fun and  don't  have  a  message  other  than  enjoy  this .
Brian the  drug influenced  stuff will  re emerge  ,some time ago  I  did  a  song  called prescription   blues  which  talked  about   my codeine  problem  that  I  had  some  years  ago ,thankfully behind me  now .

Hi Grah. Although you're really only just out of surgery and can't expect to be back to your old self yet. I wonder if swapping the blue skies and warm sunshine of Crete for cold wet grey Settle may have something to do with it. If were lucky enough to get any summer this year, maybe a ride on the train from Settle to Carlisle, through all that amazing countryside may kick start you back into action.

Thick as two short planks

I do  miss the island , More  so  this  coming week end as Its  the Matala Beach festival  and I  was  due  to  play  with Greek  heavy rock  band  Everdie  on Saturday . Cest la vie , I'll have  a  good  time  at  Kendal Arts   instead .

Drug side-effects as song material ... very cool. Here's some hilarious inspiration on that topic from Jeff Foxworthy's "Blue Collar Comedy Tour":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdNMRtvq5g