Topic: PC keyboard problem

Hi guys. My PC crashed last year and I got so frustrated not being able to un crash it that I punched the keyboard.

When I got it back up and running some of the keys had moved eg: " is now @ and reverse. # is | etc.

Is there a way to re-set the keyboard? I recently bought a new one and it's doing the same thing, so it cant be the key pad that's mixed-up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: PC keyboard problem

On your  tool bar at  the  right hand  bottom corner is  there   a  single  letter   E or  H  or  U perhaps  if its  present   you may  be  able  to  toggle  back  to  uk  settings  ,I  think  you've  defaulted  to  USA key pad  settings We had  this  on some  of  the  pcs  at  Uni a  few  yrs  back I  think  it  was  after  the  tech  guys  upgraded  to  windows  7  from xp  hope  this  helps .

Punch it with the other hand.

Baldguitardude wrote:

lol lol lol lol lol

Baldguitardude wrote:

i'm not very tough, i used both hands and a foot smile

Grah1 wrote:

On your  tool bar at  the  right hand  bottom corner is  there   a  single  letter   E or  H  or  U perhaps  if its  present   you may  be  able  to  toggle  back  to  uk  settings  ,I  think  you've  defaulted  to  USA key pad  settings We had  this  on some  of  the  pcs  at  Uni a  few  yrs  back I  think  it  was  after  the  tech  guys  upgraded  to  windows  7  from xp  hope  this  helps .

Hi Grah, unfortunately no, although it does give the date US style, you know wrong way round? 5/2/2015 instead of 28/05/2015

I persribe to the bigger hammer theory - if it does'nt work, hit it with a bigger hammer and go buy another one, works every time.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Get another keyboard.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

New keyboard didn't fix it, so I would check the default keyboard layout in Windows.  Qwerty is most common, but you could have changed it to Colpak, Dvorak, or some alternate that is still based on the English Language..... or not.  The software allows you to assign anykey combination you like (even if it is not commonly recognized) so it's worth a look.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

thanks doug, as you say, new keyboard up and running. i looked into windows and got my UK settings back, it was on US so thanks for that. and i also found some shortcuts i didn't know about which frightened the life out of me (thought i'd crashed it again) anyway, see how it goes. thanks to all for you help and humour.

@"£...means all is re-set...thanks doug you're a marvel

phill

I found a shortcut last night, but it was through the woods while I was driving someone else's 4x4 and I don't think I could duplicate now if I tried. 

I'm glad your keyboard is working the way you expect it to.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hmmm... I guess I learned something new today.  I didn't realize that QWERTY wasn't common across the globe.  Note to self - don't ever try to type 75 wpm on a UK keyboard.  wink  GLAD you sorted it out, Phill!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

haven't seen a post from you lately Phill  - computer still ok ?

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

haven't seen a post from you lately Phill  - computer still ok ?

hi jim, no PC's working fine, unlike me. you may recall when we were doing our last colab, i was having problems with my voice and chest? well it got a lot worse and i had to turn down a lot of work, which made the wife a little upset as we had a holiday planned and we needed the cash. anyway, i had an infection verging on pneumonia and lost my singing  voice completely (i can hear some cheers from the back row) but we managed to get away to the sun for a few days. i meant to call on roger guppy but i didn't have his address. i managed to pop in to chordie from time to time just for a few moments before she asked for "frozen" again!.

i haven't done a song for around a month, but my granddaughter kept asking me for stories, she's 2 and a half, and i invented a new world and characters for her totaling around 10 or more short stories and when i get time i'm going to write them down and hopefully get them in print. i wonder if we have any illustrators out there?

so i'm back in the saddle now and raring to go.

thanks for the thought.

phill

Glad  to  hear  your  ok  Phil take  care  of  that  voice  my  friend

thanks grah, i'll try my best. i went through a few weeks there when i thought the ball was over and the obese lady had sung, but i managed "rhinestone cowboy" on saturday so i think i'm getting there.

Been there, done that, Phill. Back in my drinking days, I used to go through at least one kb a year because of a slow computer.

If the poor thing could speak, I'm sure it would have asked me, "Hey! What'd I do???" wink

Glad you're back up and runnin', my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com