Re: windows 10?

So am I (in the queue), Roger. I do have a question of the forum about this, however: Dondra's and my machines are linked via ethernet.

The agreement about W10 states "one device". Can we both have W10?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Well I pre-booked three for my laptops. I did however use a different e-mail address for each of them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Windows 10? I'm getting along just fine with 8.1 ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

So am I (in the queue), Roger. I do have a question of the forum about this, however: Dondra's and my machines are linked via ethernet.

The agreement about W10 states "one device". Can we both have W10?

Thanks

Bill

I don't expect you to have any issues Bill.  Each computer has it's own copy (license) for the current version of windows that's on it.  I registered my laptop and the desktop with the same email address without any issues.  It's not "per house" or "per email address" it's an upgrade available "per device (with a current valid license eligible for upgrade)".  So you should be good.

My update worked on the desktop without a problem after I edited the registry.  Jim's laptop got a different error, 80200001 - so I'm manually downloading Win 10 on his per Microsoft's suggestion. 

So - if you have registered and haven't gotten it yet - make sure you do ALL your updates!  You may find there are a bunch in there (like Roger did) that are "optional" updates that don't auto install.  You should update these as well. smile  Restart... update again until there are no more updates. At this point I cleaned out Jim's registry... that was a MESS! CCcleaner to the rescue! Restart again, check for updates - no more updates. Check update history to see if there's any RECENT Win 10 fails.  If so, what's the error code (right click on the fail then choose "view details" or something of the sort). 

OR - be like TF and just stick with 8.1 (not broke, no not like Vista was... but it annoyed me - and other than Vista - I always like to run the most current operating system as older ones stop getting supported properly and end up with security holes in them)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The Windows 8.1 laptop that needed the updates has just gone to Windows 10 smile. The third one which I use in the shop and currently has Windows 7, I needed to perform the registry change but now it is ready for me to upgrade to Win10 on Monday when I am back in the shop.

It will be nice to have them all the same.

Roger

I had a major meltdown on my laptop right in the middle of watching a youtube video the computer said it had to shut down and it did after trying to reboot I am getting all kinds of weird stuff I shut it down and will try later after it cools down so its back to my trusty xp this sucks kind of like going on a blind date and she turns out to be the daughter of Dracula
It was running so good no problems now Windows 10 has some serious issues we me.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Not that it's gonna make you feel better if something "melted down" literally.  But You Tube is a great "stress test" for hardware and software.  There is a lot of stuff going on while watching a film on YT, the video and sound is working hard, the browser is running along with the network assets, you got flash (?) and java scripts running, memory buffers cycling, drives spinning, etc. all at the same time!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it just hit a thermal threshold and "scrammed" .  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Not that it's gonna make you feel better if something "melted down" literally.  But You Tube is a great "stress test" for hardware and software.  There is a lot of stuff going on while watching a film on YT, the video and sound is working hard, the browser is running along with the network assets, you got flash (?) and java scripts running, memory buffers cycling, drives spinning, etc. all at the same time!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it just hit a thermal threshold and "scrammed" .  wink

I was able to reboot it but I dont know if this is a quirk or a fortense of things to come I will have to wait a bit before restoring it back to 7

Russell, I always run my laptops on a tray with a cooling fan since I had a similar problem some time ago and I have not had the same happen since (touch wood). They are not expensive these days.

Roger

Roger Guppy wrote:

Russell, I always run my laptops on a tray with a cooling fan since I had a similar problem some time ago and I have not had the same happen since (touch wood). They are not expensive these days.

Roger

Good tip Roger thanks I have a fan in the window I can move the laptop over smile

Hey, I took mine apart a year ago and removed a small poodle's worth of fluff from between the fan and "radiator"!  I blow it out often with that canned air, and never never NEVER run it on any kind of soft surface like couch cushion or blanket. Laptops are notorious for heat control issues..... not a lot of room in there for circulation, and who thought putting all the intakes on the bottom was a good idea?

Cooler pads are a good investment!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey Russ this is the sort of thing I use, it plugs just into a USB port to power the fan or fans.

Roger

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/814bnhpJL5L._SL1500_.jpg

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hey Russ this is the sort of thing I use, it plugs just into a USB port to power the fan or fans.

Roger

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 … L1500_.jpg

I will order one today great idea thanks for the link smile

talking of laptops....i've got win10 up and running on my PC and apart from having to look for everything (as you do with something new?) it's going great guns.

now i'm running VISTA on my laptop which i must admit i only use for gigging now (if i need a quick on-line thing i use my tablet) so can i update to W10 on my LT? and if i can is it worth it? i need help. thanks phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I think so far everyone is enjoying 10!  I'm happy to hear this.  No one liked the new layout of 8 when it came out, and a lot of people had problems with Vista. 

Phill Here's the "official answer from Microsoft":

"Can I get Windows 10 if I have a device running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

You may purchase Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store or other retailers and install it on your existing device running Windows XP or Windows Vista if your device meets the minimum spec requirements for Windows 10. You will need to back up any existing files before installing Windows 10. It will be a “clean” install.

However, we recommend you experience Windows 10 on a newer device. We think you’ll be happier with the affordable, great PCs that are available today. PCs have improved dramatically since Windows XP was released in 2001 and Windows Vista was released in 2006. "

Found here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-faq

Free upgrade minimum system requirements are here:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Sorry, it looks like you'd have to pay to upgrade the machine running Vista IF it meets minimum specs.

I would like to add one important detail about newer machines, having bought one recently. 

THIN, QUIET, does NOT overheat!

The new processors (I'm running an i5 processor) do NOT get hot (newer generations = less heat, mine's either a generation 4 or 5 I can't remember off the top of my head now) .  I don't have any big fans in my laptop.  It's uber thin.  I don't have a need for a cooling fan.  Yep, you read that right.  No need at all.  Once in a while, if it's really quiet in the room and I've been running a resource hog of a program, I can faintly hear a fan running in my laptop, but there are no vents in the bottom or sides (there is one in the back, but it doesn't spit out hot air).  Sure - my laptop gets a bit warm on the bottom, but not enough that I might burn myself if it's on my LAP, and not enough to worry about burning out my hard drive or other components.  LOVE LOVE LOVE!  I think my android phone gets hotter than my laptop.  Honestly!

Plus - if you're looking to go to Windows 10 - there's a lot of features built in that are made to work with touchscreens.  Not all newer computers are touch, but if you get one that is, it DOES work well!  smile

That's my 2 cents.  New isn't cheap though.  There's a lot of laptops on the market running older processors that don't fit in with my description.

thanks amy, yeah i am enjoying W10 somewhat, somewhat because i haven't been able to try it out much...things, ya know?

any hoo, i had more or less decided after writing my last post (sounds ominous?) that i was going to keep vista, better the devil you know when you're fumbling around for the next track with 200 half-cut wedding guests waiting for the next dance?

i much appreciate the advice.

phill

I noticed something odd with the win 10 when I want to print out a song and hit the print option I have to download a pdf and print it out, this never happened with the win 7 is there something I can do to change it or is this part of an update to Chordie?

Russell_Harding wrote:

I noticed something odd with the win 10 when I want to print out a song and hit the print option I have to download a pdf and print it out, this never happened with the win 7 is there something I can do to change it or is this part of an update to Chordie?

hmmmmm... I'm not seeing this.  It may be that you just have the wrong "printer' chosen.  Next time you try to print, check out what's in the printer name field.  It may say "Microsoft PDF Print" - you'll want to change that to your printer name. 

You can go into your settings to set your actual printer as the default so you don't have to change that every time you print. (control panel, view devices and printers - under hardware and sound, find your printer and right click on it, then left click on "set as default").

On the other hand, LOOK how EASY it is to create a pdf!  wink

mekidsmom wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

hmmmmm... I'm not seeing this.  It may be that you just have the wrong "printer' chosen.  Next time you try to print, check out what's in the printer name field.  It may say "Microsoft PDF Print" - you'll want to change that to your printer name. 

You can go into your settings to set your actual printer as the default so you don't have to change that every time you print. (control panel, view devices and printers - under hardware and sound, find your printer and right click on it, then left click on "set as default").

On the other hand, LOOK how EASY it is to create a pdf!  wink

Thanks Amy I will give it a shot smile

I started having major issues with Windows 10, long boot times, black screens that went on for minutes, frozen applications it got to be to much for me and I decided to revert to Windows 7 it took about 15 minutes and everything is fine again. Sometimes the phrase "if it aint broke dont fix it" makes a lot of sense it did with me.

russ, i wonder if you just got a bad copy or something? mine seems to be working well so far...touch wood. i had a little problem with my printer but after a few hours of poking and prodding (metaphorically speaking) it cleared itself.  i also had to re-download my recording program and it wont even look at audacity! to be fair though it's never worked right on my PC anyway...but good luck

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you Russell.  Honestly, I haven't played around much with the old desktop upgraded to Win 10.  It's sole purpose in life right now is for the kids to use to play their games (apps) and view youtube videos of minecraft and make up tutorials (little girls are pretty silly).  I can say, I haven't been called over to "fix" anything though, so it must be running ok.  My daughter did say that it doesn't seem to be running any faster than it was, although switching users is MUCH improved and I like the security features built into 10 for the kids (I get a weekly email of what apps they've played and websites they've visited - or can look at any time from the internet - and it appears quite secure = I did have to set up separate accounts on Microsoft for them and verify I was an adult). 

I did find that after I upgraded it, it took a day before a LOT more updates showed up on the older machine.  I was originally sold with Win 7 - I purchased Win 8 trying to revive a dying laptop and ended up putting it on that machine.  It's a piece of junk from Walmart that my MIL bought - Junk as in, blacklisted - can't use that model to work from home on with most companies it's so bad!  But, so far so good as far as I can tell. 

So, anyone migrating - keep an eye on the windows updates every few days and run any update software that came with your printer/video card/sound card/etc. I don't blame ya though Russ.  A lot of people don't want to have to WORK to make their machine run properly.  Wish I was close, I probably could have gotten it "happy" for ya.

Phill Williams wrote:

russ, i wonder if you just got a bad copy or something? mine seems to be working well so far...touch wood. i had a little problem with my printer but after a few hours of poking and prodding (metaphorically speaking) it cleared itself.  i also had to re-download my recording program and it wont even look at audacity! to be fair though it's never worked right on my PC anyway...but good luck

Phill I still have the opportunity to re install but I am leary I just dont want any damage to my laptop it did crash on win 10 once

mekidsmom wrote:

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you Russell.  Honestly, I haven't played around much with the old desktop upgraded to Win 10.  It's sole purpose in life right now is for the kids to use to play their games (apps) and view youtube videos of minecraft and make up tutorials (little girls are pretty silly).  I can say, I haven't been called over to "fix" anything though, so it must be running ok.  My daughter did say that it doesn't seem to be running any faster than it was, although switching users is MUCH improved and I like the security features built into 10 for the kids (I get a weekly email of what apps they've played and websites they've visited - or can look at any time from the internet - and it appears quite secure = I did have to set up separate accounts on Microsoft for them and verify I was an adult). 

I did find that after I upgraded it, it took a day before a LOT more updates showed up on the older machine.  I was originally sold with Win 7 - I purchased Win 8 trying to revive a dying laptop and ended up putting it on that machine.  It's a piece of junk from Walmart that my MIL bought - Junk as in, blacklisted - can't use that model to work from home on with most companies it's so bad!  But, so far so good as far as I can tell. 

So, anyone migrating - keep an eye on the windows updates every few days and run any update software that came with your printer/video card/sound card/etc. I don't blame ya though Russ.  A lot of people don't want to have to WORK to make their machine run properly.  Wish I was close, I probably could have gotten it "happy" for ya.

Amy I have decided to wait till I have to upgrade The cooler fan I ordered arrived and set up fast and works really nice I did notice the laptop was getting hot before, now it is nice and cool