1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-14 22:52:22)

Topic: My Problem With Songrwriting

Is that it is always in spurts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUv0v0UxSQ  (sorry no music. Just this for effect)

But this time I think I'm on to something

Please read the story of Ol' 88 and the cigarette train crash which happened close to where we live.

==============================================================

This excerpt is taken from their Government- Historical page:

"On October 18, 1903, "Ole 88" Engine 345, jumped the
tracks and tore down part of the Pumpkinvine Creek Trestle.  Pumpkinvine Creek Trestle, which was originally built in 1901, was rebuilt after the accident. The trestle is over 750 feet long and towers 126 feet above Pumpkinvine Creek. The trestle was restored in 1999 and now serves as part of the Silver Comet Trail."

===========================================

What isn't mentioned was what "Ole 88" was a-haulin'. Can you guess?

Right. Cigarettes.

When folks heard about the wreck and the cargo, they got on whatever vehicles they had at the time and hauled up to the trestle, where the whole place was covered in ----- cigarettes.

They began to loot those coffin nails until the land around the wreck except for the locomotive and the freight cars was spotless.

But that's not the end of the story, naw suh.

Somewhere, sometime, somehow a legend was born. It's not backed up by any facts or figures, but the story goes that the reason so many people in and around Paulding County died of lung cancer was they didn't begin smoking until they got a hold of some "o'them cigarettes" from the train wreck. Hell, they were free and I guess in those days it was much easier to get hooked on them because they were stronger (no filter), but I can't say for certain.

Okay. Thanks for reading, I know it was kinda long.

Here's what I have so far trying to turn this into a song:

Well, Ol' 88 had started out late

Chuggin' towrd the Paulding County line                                         (I ran "toward" together there to make it fit the meter of the song)

Ol' Charlie hit the bottle and then he hit the throttle

Cause he knew that he could make it on time

==========================================

And that's it. That's all I got, my friends. Now, here's how you can help me: I don't want you to write the song for me, I want you to help me write it, by asking me stuff about the train wreck. Examples: "Where did it leave from, Bill?" - Atlanta. "Time?" - Don't know....... that kinda stuff.

Monday I also have the added responsibility of calling the Georgia Railroad Historical Society to get the facts straight, 'cause we sure don't want "Ol' Charlie" to be drunk when he wasn't, do we? smile

Whatcha all think?

Thanks as always for your kind assistance!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-14 22:48:04)

Re: My Problem With Songrwriting

"It was 1903, and ya coulda fooled me

But as he passed I caught the smell of tobaccy.......

See? just "snatches".........

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Gidday bill
You off to a great start.When you get stuck for words ask yourself.
how/what/ when/ why.
answer these questions
then relax forget about writing a song for the moment,write down your thoughts.
hey presto  you got a song!
Good luck,look forward to finished product.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The King Of Audio Torture

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-15 03:33:09)

Wow! Thanks TO one of the "Charles Atlases" of music  I so fortunately found here. smile And I mean that, you guys are ALL great at what you do! It would be an honor to drum or play rhythm for any of you!

Ya know, easy (can I call you that?), I always seem to miss the obvious stuff. Occam's Razor would make me a self-sacrifice trying to shave with it.

But here's the thing: I don't know why, my Kiwi friend....... but sometimes the ideas come at me so fast, I can't reel them all in, and that sucks soooooo bad.  THEN.......... I hit a "desert"........and forget about the stuff I did manage to "reel in". And then they're gone!

But hey! I'm havin' a GREAT time with my INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS who just happen to be great musicians. WHat a great thing to happen to an old batguano guy like me, huh!

I sit in front of this damn screen just about 24-7, and there's nowhere I'd rather be than in my wife's arms, but as she's sleeping so  peacefully right now, after her rough time, I confine the both of us doing the "Horizontal Bop" to the daytime......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIL82XwYO8A

Oh yeah. Forgot to tell y'all. You are NOT allowed to tap your feet to that song!!!!! smile

Thanks, Mr. easybeat for the kind and supportive words. You might like to know I have them Post-Itted to my screen.

Your friend

Bill

Note to our Amy: You're not gonna tell Dondra I called lovemaking "The Horizontal Bop", are ya?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You're right about EasyBeat ... and the rest of the group here, Bill.

I submitted a poem a while back, which seemed to "dangle" at the end. EB challenged me to write one more verse, about how what was described made me feel ... great advice, so I did.

Here we go with another snatch I don't wanna lose.....

Y'all help me on this one too, please?

=============================

"Tonight's the only night

The devil let me down

He sent me a sweet angel

And she turned my life around.......
===========================

All I got my friends.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

You may want to write a few lines to describe the trestle, hight, length etc. I had to use our old friend Google, as to me a trestle is something quite different, we would call it a viaduct. Will the song have a railroad beat? Also I see theirs a place called Brushy Mountain Tunnel. With a name like that it's got to be worth a mention.
Good luck Bill.

Thick as two short planks

Thank you, Sir. Yes, I'll definitely check out the logistics. Since the tracks were converted to a bike trail, I've been over it several times. The very first time, my then girlfriend had to LEAD me over it after I dismounted, it is so high. Yes, I see it as something the likes of this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kiqmpA0ew

Too fast?

Thanks, my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Why is it that sometimes the links don't highlight, I wonder.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass