1 (edited by beestie 2015-08-16 21:54:24)

Topic: Finding my writing in a rut.

I have just written the lyrics for my next song and I'm trying to put the chords to it at the moment. After listening to a few of my songs I'm beginning to notice a pattern and they are starting to sound all the same. Generally my problem is the pattern of my lyrics are very similar and my chord changes tend to be in the same places in each song. I think it is because I am writing them as poems and then adding the chords later. I have tried changing from 4/4 to 3/4 and that helps a bit  but just wondering if anyone has any tips. 

Generally I write in the key of C and then transpose into a different key later. I have tried adding more chords but that just makes it sound "Fussy" and id not really my style.

Re: Finding my writing in a rut.

Changing the tempo and/or strum might give you a new direction.

I know what you mean about songs being similar. I've started on a new song, but the melody of the last song just sits there in my head and I find myself singing it again.

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll work through it. You've got lots of deep thoughts to share - and your songs make people think about issues.

My theory for what its worth is I think song writing can be over complicated. Some of the most memorable songs have a sort of simplicity. Janis Joplin didn't bother with chords when she did Mercedes Benz. Give Peace A Chance  three chords simple beat C an F and G. Maybe you  should grab three chords  that you can get to without struggle. Do them in different patterns. C F G plus  a minor chord somewhere might help you to open up your boundaries. Now with the strumming people tend to over strum in my opinion as though their trying to keep up with a treadmill. Maybe try a pattern where you ad a slow two strum twice. Then move it up to a notch to maybe a rolling Four strum then to  slow single down strums with your two and fours in between. I like the idea of subtle under playing rather than over playing. Don't worry to much about it though because at least your lyrics are saying something. When I try to do a song I always, whether its mine or someone else's is not worry about the chords but try and develop a feel that's mine. The other thing is try and fun with it even if its a serious subject. Hope I have offered you something constructive here.
Keep at it and have fun in the process.

4 (edited by easybeat 2015-08-17 06:34:32)

Beestie

Pat yaself on the back,ya lyrics are always excellent
Strum pattern / tempo/ chords aren`t  the answer.
U need to ask others for honest comments.
Reading your latest, i could hear how u were going to do it by the meter of the lyrics.
I think the problem is in your head,just need to change your thinking, not a lot though.

Peatle is right  FEEL is very important!Uke players go on about strum, where feel is neglected.

The King Of Audio Torture

Thanks for that great advice.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

easybeat wrote:

Beestie

Pat yaself on the back,ya lyrics are always excellent
Strum pattern / tempo/ chords aren`t  the answer.
U need to ask others for honest comments.
Reading your latest, i could hear how u were going to do it by the meter of the lyrics.
I think the problem is in your head,just need to change your thinking, not a lot though.

Peatle is right  FEEL is very important!Uke players go on about strum, where feel is neglected.

I suspect your right about the ukulele playing. Ukulele is usually driven by beat and so most ukulele players concentrate on the strum pattern far more than guitar players. You hardly ever hear guitar players talk about strum patterns but uke players like me tend to focus on them. It is hard to break the lessons that I have been taught from day one, when I started on the ukulele. Thanks for the comments, there is no reason why a ukulele can't be played differently.