1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-06 13:55:01)

Topic: "The Cigarette Train" (Cont'd From An Earlier Post)

This one may need moving, Amy and Co.....

=======================================================

Okay, some of you all (y'all) may remember me writing a song about a train wreck in a county near to ours (Carroll) from which a box car spilled thousands of cigarettes (This happened in 1903 and the cigarettes were Bull Durhams). It happened at Punkinvine Trestle and the lore is that hundreds of young boys learned how to smoke that day,

Before writing the song, however, I wanted to get my facts straight, so I put myself in contact with the Georgia Railway Association and a few other railroad enthusiasts.

Are any of you railroad buffs? If so, maybe you can throw in your two cents worth as well.

I'm finding out - a little at a time - that a previous train wreck in 1883 happened at a trestle just before this one at a trestle called "The Big Raccoon Trestle".

After that wreck our State Legislature provided funds to repair "Big Raccoon" and ostensibly funds to examine "Punkinvine", which, according to all the records I have been able to find was never done.

So now I'm involved in my own investigation. I'm not saying that foul play was involved, but I suspect the money for Punkinvine went somewhere other than where it should have gone and with the help of one of the Atlanta Journal/Constitution investigative reporrers hope to get some answers.

So far, this is all I have and I may be "full of it", but I intend to find out all the facts for myself before writing the tune.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: "The Cigarette Train" (Cont'd From An Earlier Post)

Bill, Very interesting . I love this story line. The truth may be way more interesting than what you could make up. Add in the mystery of the money and you have a great song in the works. One of my best songs turned out to be based in truths I didn't know until after it was written and played for one of the people in the song. Enjoy the search for the truth about the money. Even if you don't find any wrong doing I think you are going to have fun investigating.
Keep us posted on your investigation and I can't wait to hear the song.

Joe

I think stories like that make the best songs.  DE writes a lot of is similarly, Bill.  Good history stuff!  smile

As for trains... my Daddy is a retired railroad engineer (choo choo train driver).  His father (my Gramps) is a retired Railroad crew caller/ dispatcher.  I'm sure my dad probably doesn't know much about the southern railroads though or their history ... different companies and world up here for us Yankees.  You might remember though, my Dad sang the Rock Island Line during our live stream... because it's near and dear to him (and as much as he's LIVED the railroad... he hates it too).  My best train memory would be of pulling the train whistle and having my eardrums nearly blown out while getting my hand covered in oil.  If Diesel Engines are DIRTY and LOUD... I can't imagine what steam engines were like!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Amy,

I sure do remember your Dad singing the Rock Island Line "(she's a mighty good road)" because I was singing along with him! smile Guitar wasn't handy so, it was just me and your Dad and the others at the party singing along.

I'd like to incorporate some train sounds into the song if your Dad can MP3 me some for credit on the tune?

Thanks, Amy and I hope to "spring" Dondra from the hospital by early afternoon!

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

i feel offended that this spamming cretin above took the name of our lord Ian Anderson in such a duplicitous way. please delete the post and this one if unavoidable

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I know that name! Can we trace her IP and see where she is at least or is that frowned upon?

I agree with Phill and if she's the person I remember, she deserved banning. IF that's her name that is. I'm just curious.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Okay, back to the train......

For some reason I'm unable to turn loose of "poetic license" to continue writing this song, so now we're going to take a "Road (train) Trip to Atlanta and find the actual locomotive that made that haul. I am so excited I can hardly keep from farting!

I spoke to a young man today who's just as excited about helping me as I am about writing the song and that just rocks my ears off!

Stay tuned! Working.......working.......working..........

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Tyson7 wrote:

Bill, Very interesting . I love this story line. The truth may be way more interesting than what you could make up. Add in the mystery of the money and you have a great song in the works. One of my best songs turned out to be based in truths I didn't know until after it was written and played for one of the people in the song. Enjoy the search for the truth about the money. Even if you don't find any wrong doing I think you are going to have fun investigating.
Keep us posted on your investigation and I can't wait to hear the song.

Joe

Joe I apologize severely for having missed this post!  Please forgive me, as I try to answer everyone who writes me, in e-mails or here. Maybe I was just so excited about this latest news I forgot to recheck.

Thanks, Sir

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I'd like to incorporate some train sounds into the song if your Dad can MP3 me some for credit on the tune?

Good idea, but nope.  He doesn't play with the trains any more as he's retired.  I think he does all he can now to stay away from them (and just talk about the good ole days). 

It should be easy to get some sounds recorded though if you go visit a railroad yard or popular crossing.  Just remember to steer clear of the tracks, it can take miles for a heavy freight train to stop.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

...or Google "train sound effects mp3 free download" and see what you can find.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Bill,  No apology needed , but thanks . I can't wait to hear what you'll find in your investigation. Sometimes in your songs you will need to stray somewhat from the truth. Sometimes you need to make up the whole thing if you can't find the true story you are looking for. Either way the title is Killer. My friend told me once " Do you think Johnny Cash really shot a man in Reno". Have fun with this.

Joe

Roger!!!!! You're back!!!!!! It's good to see you riding shotgun here again. Yeah, I know you've only been gone a couple of days, but much of the rest of the regular gang was gone as well. Thanks for the recommendation, I sure did find a good one, but it needs a train trestsle colllapse now. Yeah, I know: Can't have it all, Bill, right?

Thank you, Sir!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Tyson7 wrote:

Bill,  No apology needed , but thanks . I can't wait to hear what you'll find in your investigation. Sometimes in your songs you will need to stray somewhat from the truth. Sometimes you need to make up the whole thing if you can't find the true story you are looking for. Either way the title is Killer. My friend told me once " Do you think Johnny Cash really shot a man in Reno". Have fun with this.

Joe

Thanks, Joe!

Sometime in the next week or so, we're making a trip to visit ol' one-oh-three, the steamer which was involved in the wreck. Your support here means a lot to me, Joe. Everyone's does, as "my mind takes to wanderin' every now and then."

More now than then,

Your friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

14 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-19 21:12:40)

I'm at a complete standstill and I don't know how to help it.

I've been doing legit research on this train wreck and I've called the song "The Cigarette Train". Only now I am finding out that the Bull Durham company only made smoking tobacco at that time and it wasn't until they were bought up by The American Tobacco Company that cigarettes were actually produced and that was way after the wreck - 1906 or so.

That's one thing.

The other thing is I'm a retired respiratory therapist. What the heck am I doing writing a song about a train wreck and spilled tobacco which led to people learning to smoke.

One other thing.

The American Tobacco Company was one of the biggest violators of using child labor which led to the Federal Child Labor Laws of 1916.

So....... I guess I'll have to let the facts go and completely fictionalize the song. That means a total rewrite.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass