Topic: Stupid Question. Maybe Personal.

What is your "Significant Others" reaction when you buy or bring home another Instrument or piece of equipment?? Good, Bad ?? My wife always used to say that she loved the look on my face when I found another guitar for a good price. She never got mad when I came home with one. Now I am dating again. The lady I am dating says the same thing. She says that I get a look like a kid with a new toy when I find a deal.  It may be personal, what happens when all of you do the same thing?? Do you get yelled at?? Praised?? Or are they happy to see you happy to get a new piece??

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Stupid Question. Maybe Personal.

i wouldn't dare just go out and buy a new piece of equipment, i always talk it over with her first. she has a screaming hab-dabs then eventually she'll say OK if you really need it. and we always really need it, don't we?

when i get it home, i try and be cool and sit and watch tv for a while then she'll say "aren't you going to play with your new toy then?" which is my prompt to go tinkle....or tinker, strum, bash!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi jjj I do not have a wife so I get too yell or get happy for myself.  You seem to be lucky too be finding a lot of low priced equipment,if your lady friend is happy then that's good sounds like you got a good catch. Keep on buying!!! (but don't go out of your comfort zone in priceing).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have been married for a long time, and my wife is never excited when I buy a new toy...
I always tell her first, or at least before it arrives... also, good bottle of Crystal Skull Vodka as a present helps!

With a Breedlove, a Martin, and a Guild, my guitars aren't what you're finding.  I do my homework first.  She's been supportive of my guitar habit.  That said, I have to fit them all in my office, and with the three aforementioned guitars plus a fiddle, an autoharp, three amps, a PA, an electric Ibanez, and two electric basses, I've about reached my limit.  There's space for one more guitar on the stand and I'm thinking a Taylor nylon string AE with a cutaway.  Or possibly a The Loar archtop acoustic.  It's hard to say.  I better buy a quad rack instead of a triple and then I can get both. 

Hmmm.  What was the topic again?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-11-09 02:58:03)

My dear wife and I both have small sources of discretionary income, which are outside of the outside budget. We tuck a few $$$ away for our own hobbies, and never buy anything outside of that unless we've talked and agreed beforehand. She has a horse and also does dollhouse miniatures, I like music and fly fishing, and we both like kayaking and camping together. We're both happy for one another when things are acquired, and that's a habit we've carried with us since we were married in 1979.

My wife pressured me in to buying my last amp.  smile

My wife is very supportive when I purchase a new guitar. She is with me many times when I do buy. She critiques the sound for me. Many times I buy them to use for gigs or recording and they come from my special stash of cash. We were just looking at a Taylor GA6 12 string. She was willing to help cover what I didn't have in my stash. She's a keeper.

Joe

I don't buy guitars without a consultation.  I'm able to sneak mics and other gear into the house, though, as she doesn't know what it does, and therefore it all looks the same.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I joke about my wife a lot, but the truth is, she loves to see me get that look too JJJ.  I usually bring home what others consider junkers and after I fix them up and play them for a while most of what I buy is given away to those less fortunate or just starting out. I like working/tinkering on guitars, thats where the enjoyment is for me.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

She just glad it's not another horse

Let no talents go unused

Since we both play, I don't think it counts here.  Neither of us goes running around willy nilly buying guitars though, we always talk before purchases.  In the end, it's usually the other one pushing the first to just buy it and stop talking about it!  LOL!  The little things are just little things and don't matter like a new chord book, a better capo, etc... there's always room for more little stuff.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

After days and days of begging, crying aand mopping around the house my wife will generally give in and tell me to go ahead and buy the thing.

nela

Zurf wrote:

With a Breedlove, a Martin, and a Guild, my guitars aren't what you're finding.  I do my homework first.  She's been supportive of my guitar habit.  That said, I have to fit them all in my office, and with the three aforementioned guitars plus a fiddle, an autoharp, three amps, a PA, an electric Ibanez, and two electric basses, I've about reached my limit.  There's space for one more guitar on the stand and I'm thinking a Taylor nylon string AE with a cutaway.  Or possibly a The Loar archtop acoustic.  It's hard to say.  I better buy a quad rack instead of a triple and then I can get both. 

Wall  hangers.  start filling the walls.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

well  hmm lets not go there,,,,, cause its usually " Whats wrong with the other 4?" (oh one of which is in need of major repairs and the other needs work and oh 2 could use a new good set up for the northwest)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Zurf wrote:

I am still waiting to score one of those for a great price. I target people that don`t know what they are selling. Until I do, I will stick to MIM Strats. Plus, I do have a thing for Harmony`s in good shape. Call it reverse snobbery. I just love the cheap guitars from the 60s and 70s.  I could go out and buy one. Half the fun is  searching for them.  I even ask myself, "How many can I play?? How many do I need?? When I get them home, there is no one to show them to.  My "Go To" guitar right now is a Harmony Acoustic that I paid 30.00 for. Go figure.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

beamer wrote:

well  hmm lets not go there,,,,, cause its usually " Whats wrong with the other 4?" (oh one of which is in need of major repairs and the other needs work and oh 2 could use a new good set up for the northwest)

I'm curious what a "good setup for the Northwest" would consist of?  Other than drying and packing away your humidifier (surely not needed where the humidity rarely drops below 40%, and hangs between there and 100),  After a couple of weeks of "acclimation" a quick tuning is the only thing I've found. I often travel between here and the Southwest (sometimes for a couple of months at a stretch) and have not had to change anything.

OK maybe a small bag of mildew prevention crystals dropped in the sound-hole......??  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I usually hover around a guitar I like, keep calling back to the shop to have another look. I'm the one who always thinks do I need another guitar,  no. Do I want another guitar, yes. It's the missus who pushes me into buying another, telling me, if you want it get it, you work for it. It was in fact me who walked away from the last guitar I fancied. A big, bright beautiful National. Not just a guitar but also a work of art. Far to classy for me to mess up. The missus has even offered to give me some money towards it, and of course Christmas is coming.  I wonder if Santa could get it down the chimney without scratching it.

Thick as two short planks

Getting back to the original question.......I'm pretty sure that most wives/spouses/significant-others (choose one) would have a proverbial "tizzy-fit" if anyone was bold enough to "come home with a new piece" wink smile   Especially without permission!!!

But after 35 years of marital "bliss"(?), most things get discussed if the expense is likely to impact the budget.  Discretionary spending is OK to that $200 limit beyond which at least some discussion is required.   That pretty much rules out any high-line guitars just "falling out of a pickup and ending up in the music room".  "Really it was just laying there along the road in the rain......shivering and lonely".

Last time I lusted after an electric guitar, I got the "You have the wood, you have the tools, you have the skills, and you have the time......don't cut any fingers off.".  Needless to say I don't shop much.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

She used to encourage me to feed my desires. Now that I have 11 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 amps and a set of congas, I usually get "that look" if I find something that really catches my eye. And right now it's a buyers market out there so I seem to get that look fairly often. roll Especially after the last one I got just before "chordie Pa". It's an Alvarez 50th anniversary Grateful Dead model. It plays and sounds nice but I really bought it for the novelty and to use as a wall hanger. They were asking $400 when they came out back in April/May. I found one on CL in September for $200 so I grabbed it.

https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.musiciansfriend.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FMMGS7%2FGrateful-Dead-50th-Anniversary-Acoustic-Guitar-Flag%2FJ15227000001000-00-750x750.jpg&sp=6c2e22340c003da74a625e8c4db392b9

unclejoesband wrote:

She used to encourage me to feed my desires. Now that I have 11 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 amps and a set of congas, I usually get "that look" if I find something that really catches my eye. And right now it's a buyers market out there so I seem to get that look fairly often. roll Especially after the last one I got just before "chordie Pa". It's an Alvarez 50th anniversary Grateful Dead model. It plays and sounds nice but I really bought it for the novelty and to use as a wall hanger. They were asking $400 when they came out back in April/May. I found one on CL in September for $200 so I grabbed it.

https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/ser … 8c4db392b9

I love that guitar with the dead on it  that's so cool!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman