Topic: Off-Topic: TSA NEWS For The Week

Travelling by air anytime soon? Here are some figures which will make you think really hard about that: In airports around the USA, TSA agents found the following in carry-on luggage: 37 firearms, 30 of which were loaded and 15 had a round chambered!

That's just what they found! Think of what might have actually gotten through. I subscribe to the TSA blog because it makes interesting reading. Here's the link: http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week-in … smoke.html

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Off-Topic: TSA NEWS For The Week

If you're gonna carry a gun why would you not chamber a round? That's just silly.

This is a touchy subject in some parts of the country, so I will comment in the vein of humour (so please laugh along with me if you've a mind to);

It's been a few years since I had to step onto an airplane, and at that time there were a few things you couldn't carry through security.... truely dangerous stuff like corkscrews, metal nail files, manicure scissors, or the large jug of Frappachino (unless you bought it on the other side of the screening area).  Any liquids flammable or otherwise over something like 2 ounces (so no duty free bourbon), and I once got practically strip searched because I couldn't clear the metal detector until we discovered the metal shanks in my cowboy boots.  Seriously I was down to the fillings in my teeth, the rivets in my jeans and the boots!

So with all the publicity about what is and is not allowed, and the posters, lists and advisories on websites and ticket counters, we are seeing this kind of stuff being shoved into folk's carry-on baggage...???  I'm thinking that along with better background checks on gun buyers, we need to take a good look at school transcripts too!  I mean what kind of Einstein would think a loaded weapon is gonna be OK?

If you really feel the need to be armed when you get to your destination, just do what I do, find a swap meet or gun show and find the fella in the parking lot with the hand printed sign tucked under his windshield wiper that reads "cheap guns", and buy one outta the trunk.  You can always dump it quick at any inner city McDonald's parking lot for almost what you paid (or more) just remember to unload it before the sale or it could end badly.  wink

Wear gloves and Travel Safe out there!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Your point of view makes sense.

Detected attempt to include links in signature without permission. Try again, and you might be banned!

We had a long-gun registration in Canada for a number of years, and then it was done away with. There are varying reports on whether or not it actually did anything to curb violent crime, but it cost taxpayers a bundle.

Baldguitardude wrote:

If you're gonna carry a gun why would you not chamber a round? That's just silly.

Some years back when I started carrying, I stopped at my parents house. My dad wanted to see what I had. I pulled it out and my mom asked: "That's not loaded is it?" I looked at here and said matter-of-factly: "Not much point in carrying an unloaded gun."

She didn't get it.

I haven't been on a plane since 1988 and have no desire to run the gauntlet of trying to board a plane today.

I have four guns and two are loaded at home if I get a break in I will have them ready.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

having read the post above i have come to the conclusion that i will never visit some very good friends (mainly chordians) in the US. the UK isn't that safe but the way you talk so openly about implements designed specifically for killing actually frightens me, and any sane person reading this thread would feel the same.

FYI the laws regarding what you can carry onto airplanes is there for a reason....to stop hijackers, or just lunatics who want to cause death and destruction!  whoever said the arms race is over?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I fly on regular basis to a part of the world where lets just say there are some bad things that happen. some red neck with a gun the plane is not high on my list of concerns

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I fly pretty regularly - about every other week. I am also in the habit of carrying a pocket knife regularly - like pretty much every day. A small pin knife - much better for cleaning fingernails and opening the occasional package than it is for harming another human being. About once or twice a year, I find myself at airport security and realize that these 2 activities do not go together. This is done strictly out of habit - I would never try to smuggle a knife onto a plane.  I have attempted a time or 2 to sneak this little knife into my carry-on - been busted every time. Now I just throw it into the rubbish bin and when I reach my destination, I order a new one on Amazon so it is in my mailbox when I get home.

While I appreciate the need for the TSA, I don't believe there is a single larger waste of funds or loss of productive time caused by any other government agency, including the DMV. It is absolutely ridiculous

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Phill Williams wrote:

having read the post above i have come to the conclusion that i will never visit some very good friends (mainly chordians) in the US. the UK isn't that safe but the way you talk so openly about implements designed specifically for killing actually frightens me, and any sane person reading this thread would feel the same.

FYI the laws regarding what you can carry onto airplanes is there for a reason....to stop hijackers, or just lunatics who want to cause death and destruction!  whoever said the arms race is over?

I think you may be misunderstanding us Phill.

I don't believe I or anyone else here would advocate taking a firearm onto a plane.

I have only met a half dozen chordians in person but I can assure you; I wouldn't think twice about walking up to any one of them and shaking their hand even if they should have an AK-47 slung across their shoulder. I can't imagine why they would, but it wouldn't matter.

You see, a gun could just as easily be a hammer. They are both implements; inanimate objects. A hammer can be used to create the most beautiful chateau or it can be used to crush a human skull. It is a matter of who is wielding that implement. I go to the bank several times a week during my busy season. I always have my gun. It has never jumped out of my pocket and tried to make a withdrawal. It has no mind of it's own.

I believe you are doing yourself a grave injustice in writing off some very good people because they choose to be around or own firearms.

I would be willing to wager that most of the active members of this board, that you converse with regularly, own at least one gun, probably more than one. It's part of our culture. .  Unless you were raised in a strictly urban environment, guns were a part of growing up. I had my first one at 10. Started hunting at 12. When I was in high school you could walk around the school  parking lot the week after our Thanksgiving holiday and find at least half of the student's cars with a high powered rifle in the trunk. We went to the woods after school that entire week. That's just the way it was. We didn't know anything different. No one ever used them for nefarious purposes. Our parents taught us right from wrong and how to safely handle a gun. We took courses after school on gun safety.  Now granted, something changed since my teenage years. Personally, I feel it's all the prescription drugs that are now given to young children to "calm them down."

I'm sure I will not change your viewpoint with a couple paragraphs but please believe me when I tell you; we are all quite as sane as you are and you shouldn't feel the need to avoid personal contact with us because we were raised in a different culture.

Well, thanks for listening and I hope I get to meet you some day. smile

Joe

Firearms are a fact of life we have to live with, wish it wasn't, but the only thing that beats a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I do respect Phill's point of view, and understand that there is no place really safe in the world (more so at present).  The UK has a much lower per capita number of firearms than we here in the US, and part of that is preference and part is good sense.  On this side of the pond we still have large furry predators wandering the neighborhoods, not just the kind that might bash you with a cricket bat, pipe, or stick you with some pointy chunk of Sheffield Steel.  I've got Bears, Bobcats, packs of Coyotes, Cougars, and the bipedal variety wandering around, which makes it prudent to have arms available at times.

One does have to admit that walking through an Arizona Safeway Market with every third person visibly packing iron (and half of the rest carrying concealed), does take some getting used to.... there is some comfort in knowing that if someone was crazy enough to take pot shots in a crowd of people, he wouldn't live long enough to see his own second shell casing hit the ground, and it would take a forklift to load his miserable carcass into the meat wagon after from the weight of additional lead. It's a "cultural thing" I guess.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The company I work for used to train and supervise the TSA agents. There were some complaints TSA found unacceptable and didn't renew our contract. Once TSA took back over, the number and severity of complaints increased substantially. Given that I have a little insight to what they are dealing with, I find it a wonder there's not more trouble.

As for guns, think of Conan the Barbarians's riddle of steel. It's all about the person weilding it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Baldguitardude wrote:

Because most people get killed with their own gun, so ensuring the chamber is empty, you provide your own self a measure of time to think before you shoot, and it prevents the other guy from popping one off at you immediately if he does manage to get your gun.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've read and accept all your replies to my rant. It's not you guys that worry me, it's the ones that are not as responsible. I would dearly love to meet you colonials and I hope if I ever came face to face with one of your hairy creatures perambulating down main Street, that I could run fast enough to avoid it's Sunday roast😂 

When I read the early posts I was shocked at the light hearted way you guys joked about buying guns at the airport car park! Then selling them at MacDonald's? The thought of people leaving high powered weapons in the boot, sorry trunk of their cars where junkies or bad people could break in and steal them is unthinkable.

I hope that one day I can get to meet you folks but please don't bring your oozies with you.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Every sovereign nation and it's people have different opinions on the right to bear arms. On Russia's behalf, Vladimir Putin weighs in:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Right+to+bear+arms+right+to+bear+arms+http+geniusquotesnet+quotes+about+work_bab6ee_5149117.jpg

18 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-01-15 21:37:51)

It's certainly a bit concerning to know that loaded weapons could have made it through.  On the other hand, I'm quite happy to know that security worked and they didn't make it through.  Why assume many were missed?  Maybe none were missed? 

Phill Williams wrote:

I've read and accept all your replies to my rant. It's not you guys that worry me, it's the ones that are not as responsible. I would dearly love to meet you colonials and I hope if I ever came face to face with one of your hairy creatures perambulating down main Street, that I could run fast enough to avoid it's Sunday roast😂 

When I read the early posts I was shocked at the light hearted way you guys joked about buying guns at the airport car park! Then selling them at MacDonald's? The thought of people leaving high powered weapons in the boot, sorry trunk of their cars where junkies or bad people could break in and steal them is unthinkable.

I hope that one day I can get to meet you folks but please don't bring your oozies with you.

Phill - Funny thing, I never realized how different our counties landscapes were until Roger came here.  Frankly, I never even thought about how large the USA is compared to ... well ... just about every other country, including mama England.  The amount of "wild" over here is HUGE!

I found something online that stated that there are 11 US States larger than the UK.  Keep in mind, we've got like 50 of em!  Texas is almost 3 times the size of the entire UK. There's a LOT of undeveloped land here.

I live in a rural area.  Where our house is, we only own 1 acre.  However, we own a 17 acre plot of land nearby.  It's connected to many more acres that are all untouched.  Woods.  Forrest.  Watch out for bobcats.  I can assure you, if you saw a bear on a "main" Road near me ... you'd be screaming for someone to get their gun, because that sucker would be rabid!  In the woods, well that's another story.  Even a back yard.  My dad has a cool picture of one he took in HIS backyard.  wink 

I could be crazy, but I think Roger would vouch for us, as well as the massive amount of wooded area around here ... and he saw the contents of the gun cabinet in our home!  big_smile  I do hope we can meet you someday!

edited to make more sense and for effect

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

19 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-01-16 01:08:00)

It goes without saying that Canada has a lot of unpopulated area, so having a gun is a necessity of life for a lot of people. They are, however, usually rifles or shotguns, and are used for hunting, protecting livestock from predators, etc. Here's a few interesting population and geography stats:

United States
Area:  38,060,000 square miles
Population:  319,000,000 million
Density:  84 people / square mile

United Kingdom
Area:  94,058 square miles
Population:  64,900,000
Density:  690 people / square mile

Canada
Area:  38,550,000 square miles
Population:  35,750,000
Density:  < 1 person / square mile

Whats's even funnier, is that a full half of Canada's entire population lives in 6 cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton) with the other half spread out over the entire rest of the country. One Province (Saskatchewan) has a land area of 228,800 square miles (almost 2.5 times greater than the UK) but with just barely over one-million people.

Yup, gets lonely at times here in the Great White North! lol

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you may live in Saskatchewan.
You can drive 110 kph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching ... because, what is there to hit anyway?

smile  Yes, on the whole, Canada has even more wilderness than the US.  Bigger bears and more moose too.  Thanks for sharing those stats TF!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

21 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-01-20 10:57:32)

lol lol lol

MKM ... those are some of the best Canuck jokes I've heard. I hadn't heard the one about Saskatchewan ice fishing before ... hilarious! I've only gone ice fishing a few times. I can never get the stuff to cook properly before it melts. big_smile