1 (edited by beamer 2016-12-10 04:23:00)

Topic: Dark Eyed Townhouse

I wrote this song in 1988.  Its one of the top5 of my own that I thik is great.  I would like to add some other instrument and maybe find some one to get some lead guitar for it.I know it needs a bridge, but I have never learned the "proper" way to format and write songs.  I have winged it all.  Yes it is very Neil Youngish.  The rythm is sorta a Heart of Gold type thing.  (Yep this was written after LIVE RUST came out.  I love that set!)
This was written either Acoustic or Electric.  Sounds good with dist. Set up at your choice of amp settings.  I go for a slight Live Rust sound and a bit of 80s chunk.When playing the chorus the Bm is palm muted and the A is not. I also use my flanger in chorus.  In chorus The D5 slides to E5 on AND .  The D5 chart is not the form I use.  It should be same finger positions as the E5 shown but at the 5th fret.This is my first attempt at posting So I hope it works.

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

2 (edited by dino48 2011-11-12 02:35:21)

Re: Dark Eyed Townhouse

I tried it on my acoustic beamer,it sounded good to me,at least the way I played it. I like the lyrics alot.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

@Dino,
Thanks man!  Makes me feel good to know its liked.  I am w2orking on trying to get a deacent audio track down.  W/ my limited skill it may take a while LOLOL, but something better than a tape player sitting in front of me. gotta get a singer.  I would scare teh nanomites away with my voice.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

hi beamer great lyrics as for the singing just do the best with what you've got,i'm about the same but you can't do much about that so just enjoy the experience and go for it.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I found a willing singer, now to find the time!   and im thinking of getting that 4 channel mixer  I saw in the recording section.  80 bucks is a pretty good deal.

Yes, I am dredging this post up,
I gave it a go with Jerome and Alan at band practice last week (12-4-16) and they really liked it.  It also went from 80 BPM (about the original acoustic version) to around 120 /130 BPM big_smile and it was a dirty sounding guitar!  Jerome had a great bass line and Alan kicking the drums. And me on Vocals.  Jerome had his digital multitrack recorder patched in the PA and said my vocals came out pretty clear and , quoted from our chat " 
J: "The mix on the song [you wrote] was a bit out of whack but we can adjust levels for future recordings and I can squash the shzzle out of it to fake up a semblance of balanced levels.   Your vocals are way out in front of everything else." 
S: "Did you Auto-tune me?" big_smile
J: "Nope.   You sound pretty good, actually.   I can't auto tune a mixdown.  I'd have to have you on an isolated track."
That made me feel really good.  I even bounced my tooth into the mic and dropped my pick at the end of the second take!  LOL good times.

After we can get Jeff back on the kit, Alan will pull some lead out for it.  I have sent a few of you the two versions  with not very good vocals, and right now its a even split between the two.
ALSO,  I have, after all these years, written a new verse for the end and to tie the story up, so to speak. the original post has been edited above to reflect. Amazing that 28 yrs later I can still see it all so clearly.  I guess you never forget the first time a gun barrel is tracking you with no good in mind.

Yeah, well, it's no "My Favorite Things" is it, scott?

A very dark song for sure, and I commend you for not revealing where it's going.

Personally, I think the protagonist is getting ready to kill.

It's just too repetitive  and "grey".

It tells me something bad is about to happen.

Sorry, but that's how I read it.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Very dramatic title, I like it. You allude to this mysterious recording when do we get to hear it?

I'm sorry Bill but I have to disagree with you. It's not the"hero?" Who is planning the shooting but the girl's fella ref 38 in my face?
Is it unrequited love or is the hero a stalker? So many variables. Every answer asks a question. Well done.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Scott, I like how this reads!  I want to hear this recording too when you get a good version down!

A gift for you and your pals for printing:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/sites … sty.chopro
You should be able to add it to your song book for further editing as well.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

10 (edited by TIGLJK 2016-12-10 13:48:20)

Beamer

The lyric is mysterious for sure... let's everyone have their own image of what's happening and their own prediction of the outcome.  I like it a lot... reminds me of Dylan Thomas (the great Welch poet and one of my favorites) as he often uses obscure images, as he expresses  messages  of devotion in many of his poems.  Also. in many of his poems Thomas incorporates the presence of death....... always lurking... but it is up to the reader to figure out when, where and why...just like your song.   I think this is excellent in that regard , nicely done brother!
I am looking forward to the completed version.

Jim

p.s. To use a Thomas quote..........  " do not go gentle into that good night....rage, rage , rage ! "  smile   Metal music !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Phill Williams wrote:

Very dramatic title, I like it. You allude to this mysterious recording when do we get to hear it?

I'm sorry Bill but I have to disagree with you. It's not the"hero?" Who is planning the shooting but the girl's fella ref 38 in my face?
Is it unrequited love or is the hero a stalker? So many variables. Every answer asks a question. Well done.

Phill

I'm ready to hear it as well, Phill, and the fact that we disagree on the meaning just speaks to the "mystery" of the whole thing. Scott, so many of you, in addition to being great musicians and lyricists lead one to believe you also have some unfinished (or finished) novels tucked away somewhere. If not, then where's all this imagination coming from? smile

Respectfully,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

12 (edited by beamer 2016-12-11 09:05:26)

Many thanks to all of you. Do I spoil this and tell the story?

I think with all this positive attention I must  give background and its a tale unto its self but ill try not to get too long winded, though hard not to.

I dont know about the rest of you but in a lifetime there will always be that one love that will never leave you and be that ghost that always haunts you - no matter how far you think you have moved on.  This is one of those songs, the other that has been posted here also (I think, Ill check and add if not) is called Paper Doll.  Both written about the same girl/woman.  In short she was 1st truly great love.  She was the girl 3 of 5 guys wanted to go out with, She modeled and lots of the guys had seen her in shows at the mall, and I later saw many portfolio shots,  she was also about as dangerous a person I could have gotten involved with.  Not her herself, but the fact that the person who was to become her husband owned that 38.   Before she got married we were in HS.  she was dating this ass hat, back then  as far as I was concerned, no ring, free game.  we both were involved with other partners, but the two of us could not be kept apart.   
I was in a Drama production at the time for "THE FANTASTICS" I played the part of Mortimer , So I had  a lot of time to goof off.  Jessica was there to assist the Pianist and turn pages.   Mrs. Pankow was our English teacher (who went on to better things after teaching http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0659600/) I was one of Jo Anns pets (good grades and not having to work real hard;) ) So was Jess.  But I digress,

Well as it went I was , at the time so overwhelmed I didnt talk to her for a few days, she just made the words stick in my mouth. (I also was dating someone else at the time)
Jo actually was the one who told me one day I needed to talk to her, she could see it.  On that advice, after practice one day I built the courage to talk to her in the breeseway.  As I was doing it, her then boyfriend pulled up (he was older probably 20ish) So all I managed was a few introductory words.
A few days later we jsut hung out during  pratice , ice broken and all,   I asked her if I could give her a ride home. even though I mentioned her boyfriend, she said he lives (elsewhere) and wanted to ask me in for dinner.  I met her dad,  we spent some magic  alone time in the barn(no just nice pg stuff guys) Dad then called out that Mark was on the phone. -This is where it gets dicey, and quite honestly the part of the puzzle I have NEVER figured out.  long story condenced, lets say this girl and me spent many secret weekends together (my gf and her fiancee not knowing),  lets jump in time to play ends, Jessica moves out of town, summer,  new school yr (Sr year) Im in a good mood walking down the hall first day,  Till this girl runs up to me, gives hug, and says "Did you hear Jessica got married this summer?'  I spent the rest of the day in a haze, some of which was herbaly enhanced, an for the next few weeks.  I cant remember when i t was that year, but I am now trying to move ahead and dating a new person,  I get home from work that evening and mom says "Jessica called, she is at her moms house, here is the number." - Mom and I have always been close and she then looked at me and said "Are you sure you want to make this call?"  Idont think it was a half second thought, I was in and out of the shower and killing my poor little Chevy Citation to get to her moms place.  I was greeted extra warm,, and then I did what then was the hardest thing ever.  I told her "we cant, you got married" -- OK this plays like a bad soap but its for real-- I got the Im not happy lines,   I hugged her and said call me if he goes away and I left.  FF another school year and graduation.  Another summer job, party's music, all is right, Then Yes, I get a phone call.  "I left him, we are separated"..  That was all I needed,  I never asked to see leagle documents nothing.  I was on top of the world, Then that one night (from which the song comes from) , she was in her town, I was in mine, Hanging out with my buddy and drinking and smoking way too much.  I get a weird call from her (she knew my flight patterns and had the numbers to find me).  After that call I was a mess, Bob and his sister could not keep me from leaving, got in my car, drove 2 hours to her town, and that last verse says it. (I knock on the door at 3 AM and a guy answers and I still have the balls to ask for Jessica.  "Who the F are you?" then I hear crashes and yelling.  I know the guy packs, I hit the steps and to the car, he was out on that porch pointing that thing right at me.  Hyper vision saw nothing but a big honking barrel , pop the clutch and haul donkeys! --- the next week she showed up at her moms with bruises and not great.  Gave me some excuse abut him being there to see their son (oh yea that happened also).  sounded thin, but at 19 it was enough for me.  The last time I saw her, Was after work on night (I was a bellman ant a hotel) She waited in the lobby for me, then we went for a drive up the Blue-ridge parkway. we made love in the front seat (God it was like that movie High Fidelity after the girls father dies).  We went back to the hotel (we were in her car), she dropped me off and drove away.   I walked in and asked the cop on duty for a big favor.  I asked him to run her plates.  It was registered to her husband.   I had been told it was her photographers.  Have never seen or heard from her again.

Essentially leaving out some other details, thats it, Probably one of the "Better like this than any other way", the one story you never know the ending to. I only hope she is not dead.  I also have a feeling had we been married, I would have come home from sea to find another man in my bed. you can never know.  I also know that for many years I had all kinds of crazy dreams about finding her, and being trapped by his family and movie type stuff.

The crazy ones provide the most stuff for writing.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

Phill

so many of you, in addition to being great musicians and lyricists lead one to believe you also have some unfinished (or finished) novels tucked away somewhere. If not, then where's all this imagination coming from? smile

Respectfully,

Bill

Well if that last post didnt answer the question, im not sure what will LOLOL  The imagination also comes from what ever form of escape-ism you are into.  for me its fantasy, the dark side being also POE,  and Morrison.  and then just all that anger that has no place to go but to paper,

mekidsmom wrote:

Scott, I like how this reads!  I want to hear this recording too when you get a good version down!

A gift for you and your pals for printing:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/sites … sty.chopro
You should be able to add it to your song book for further editing as well.  wink

Amy I dont get it, I have put it in in the right format< why wont it show up correctly, but thank you! I transferred it to songster and was able to print it prior to your doin it for me.  I am not the only one with this issue I think, because others have it showing up like this.

Beamer you have a great songwriting gift. Your recording to me has a bit of a Lou Reed feel to it which I like. Keep those songs coming.

beamer wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Amy I dont get it, I have put it in in the right format< why wont it show up correctly, but thank you! I transferred it to songster and was able to print it prior to your doin it for me.  I am not the only one with this issue I think, because others have it showing up like this.

The forum software isn't playing nice with chopro formatting.  I "hacked" it to make it work.  wink

Here's some instructions, and if you'd like access to my little mini-website to upload original songs here so you can add them to your songbook on chordie and print and make em beautiful and all, just let me know (you can also make your own little mini-website for free on google sites if you prefer) :  https://sites.google.com/site/chordieso … /resources

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.