Topic: Hosting songs for chordie.com

Can anyone suggest a site or two where one can host songs in ChordPro Song File format so that chordie.com can find 'em and index 'em?

Being a skinflint I use wix.com to host my web site and it does not seem to show text in a form whereby a search engine can find it.

Re: Hosting songs for chordie.com

Your "Own Work" or someone else's (possibly copyrighted material) ?

Original stuff you can usually post in the Songwriting section.... but that won't be indexed and easily available to the rest of the World.  I can't think offhand of anyone who will "publish" copyrighted material without some sort of release from the owner/s...... there are Lawyers who make a living out of going after folks that do.  But there should be someone out there who is more up on the subject than me who might wander along and advise you.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yup. This is all our own work. We own all rights. Words and music.

I looked at many songs on chordie to see where they were hosted. Guitartabs and tenbyten came up often, but I could find no way on those sites to publish stuff.  How does everybody get their stuff up there?  A lot of the songs appear to be copyright. Has everybody got a release? Or are they hoping no one will notice?

-Confused in North Carolina.

Raputtak wrote:

Can anyone suggest a site or two where one can host songs in ChordPro Song File format so that chordie.com can find 'em and index 'em?

Being a skinflint I use wix.com to host my web site and it does not seem to show text in a form whereby a search engine can find it.

The heading "Resourses" provides and extensive list of sites you can look at, some of which may or may not have what you are looking for. Quite a few of the sites which provide Chordpro formatted songs are difficult to copy from unless you are a member, and some of those memberships are not free. By copy, I mean copy/paste into, say, "Songbook" by LinkeSoft, which I have purchased a license (fairly cheap and a one time - lifetime - fee and provides free upgrades for life). Songbook isn't as well structured as is the Chordie site provides, but does have all the basics and gives you the option of not being present on the internet while using it. Often gigging will not avail internet access, and the uninterrupted service in the form of a program which can be stored on your laptop is certainly a feather in your cap. Never discount Chordie, though. Its membership is a wonderful place to be concerning anything you may want to give or get from all facets of music. Have a ball!

Thanks for your reply, KevinRK. I looked at the sites under Resources. Many had broken links, others were sites like chordie, or "how to play" sites.

I looked on Chordie  at Country Roads by John Denver.  The lyrics and chords were there quite nicely thank you. At the bottom of the listing was this comment:

"Important: The song above is NOT stored on the Chordie server. The original song is hosted at getsome.org. Chordie works as a search engine and provides on-the-fly formatting. Chordie does not index songs against artists'/composers' will. To remove this song please click here."

So I went to getsome.org. It was basically a stub site - no content, and no sign of Country Roads.

Am I missing something fundamental that all y'all can see? 

All I want to do is post songs that I have written so Chordie can index them and display them for all the world to see, play, and enjoy.

I have the text files in ChordPro format. Can anybody tell me where to put them?  (In the nicest possible way, that is!!!)

-Frustrated in North Carolina

YES!  Sorry, I didn't see this sooner.  sad 

You could absolutely create your own google site to host the songs if you'd like.  I created one as there are a few members here that were flustered that their own original songs wouldn't render properly when posted in chopro in the forums.  As you're still pretty new to Chordie and not known to me personally, plus I have no clue how many you want to upload, I'm not sure about just giving you access to upload to my own google site, but it's not too tricky to create one of your own!

You can use the Chordie Chordpro Renderer for formatting/printing.  Create your own website and store the files in a folder that is not private.  A good free way to do this is - as said previously - with google sites.  Then, just try this syntax (type it into the web address of the browser):

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/my_server.com/my_directory/my_file.chopro

...just replace the my_server.com/my_directory/my_file.chopro with the correct address of your website and the specific file location and file name!  I highly suggest renaming those txt files to chopro also.  I believe there's some more info about that on my resource page (use the link below).

Here's my very basic google site I've set up that you're welcome to view as an example: https://sites.google.com/site/chordiesongwriters/home
You don't need much, just a place to put the files online, then you can use Chordie to render the files and once done, you can even add them to your Chordie.com songbook and use the transpose and print features of Chordie!

Here's an example of a link rendered in chordie and the song is hosted on that mini-site:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/sites … yes.chopro

If you have additional questions on how to do this, please feel free to drop me an email.  I'll try to walk you through it as painlessly as possible! 

The only issue left is - the indexing of songs.  I don't believe that the admin indexes originals, so your songs will not likely make it to the public Chordie search making it easy for all the people of the world to search them on Chordie (but they will be able to see, play and enjoy them if you find another way to use the links).  You can view more information about that in the stickies in this section and Resource page links above.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thank you 'mom. 

I followed the links and it all (well, most) seems to make sense. I have a couple of areas of confusion:

Area 1
Indexing.  You said " I don't believe that the admin indexes originals, so your songs will not likely make it to the public Chordie search making it easy for all the people of the world to search them on Chordie (but they will be able to see, play and enjoy them if you find another way to use the links)." 

That seems strange as Chordie is full of warnings about copyrighted material.

Area 2
Indexing. In the ukes4fun Part 2 link it says  "This does NOT mean that your song has been indexed by Chordie, ie. if you use the Chordie Search function you will not immediately find your song in the Chordie database. Eventually, Chordie will find your song and it will be indexed." 

So does that mean Chordie will eventually index original songs if I put them in my songbook and make them public?

I guess I will need the {st:xxxx} directive in my files to give an artist name.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! 

I'm not sure quite how the admin chooses to index songs, to be honest with you!  He may use an algorithm that includes songs that have gone through the rendering process, and if so, then I suppose your songs could eventually be indexed.  He may not though.  It would be a good idea to send out an email to admin@chordie.com and ask if you'd like more clarification on that one!  smile

One thing you CAN do though, is to put all the songs into one chordie songbook (when viewing the song through Chordie's rendering, click on "add to songbook") - and then publicly share the songbook.  It would then - in a way - be indexed.  People would be able to find the songbook and view the songs within Chordie.  The individual songs wouldn't necessarily show in song search results though... I don't think.

Yes, I think using the {st} is a good idea as a location for author - that stands for "subtitle" fyi.  smile 

While Chordie may not read all possible chod pro formatting, here's a page that provides some additional information and links to other informational pages describing the formatting and how you can use some of it:  http://blossomassociates.net/Music/chopro.html

As I mentioned before, if you have any issues or would like additional help, feel free to send me an email.  I'll be happy to help.  Email info is on that site I mentioned as my own.  Happy writing and geeky computering!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.