Topic: Passing of Allan Holdsworth

Just read that British-guitarist Allan Holdsworth passed away yesterday, at 70-years old. He worked with a number of prog and jazz fusion bands throughout the years, including Bill Bruford, Jean-Luc Ponty, and Stanley Clarke. My own memories of him were during his time with Bill Bruford's group "UK", and I remember his blazing speed and creative riffs. Both Joe Satriani and Eddie Van Halen often spoke highly of his formidable talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZsgomN51No

R.I.P.  Allan.

Re: Passing of Allan Holdsworth

To be totally honest, I must have missed a lot of music in my youth..... had to look him up and listen to some examples.  Actually reminded me of myself having trials with my first electric guitar and lead..... very "random" and what I would call a mess. smile  Who knew that random sounding notes could be actual "genius"???

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Passing of Allan Holdsworth

I have to admit, Doug, that a lot of this "jazz fusion" stuff sounds dissonant to my ears as well. It wasn't until after Bill Bruford left "Yes" and eventually started "UK" (1977), that I first became familiar with Holdsworth. According to the jazz guys, the notes aren't as random as they sound ... I just don't understand it enough to make sense of it.