26 (edited by NELA 2008-01-15 20:13:58)

Re: The Capo

When playing a song  with 2 or more acoustic guitars playing rythem, I think it sounds good if one guitar is capo'ed up playing the same key but in an higher octave. (in the background) . But that's just me.

On a Willie Nelson CD (listen to the CD as an example) he sings / plays the song Uncloudy Day in the Key of "F". Now in the Key of "F" using an E-shaped barre chord the song doesn't sound right. Now form a D-shaped barre chord on the 3rd fret and it is spot on. Now my ole hands can't make a D-shaped barre Chord for CACA. (or a G-shaped barre chord, either) By using a capo, 3rd fret and playing an open D chord, the song just became a whole lot easier to play and if it is easier that makes it more fun to play. "Nuff said.

Nela

Zurf wrote:

Nah.  We used a plain old spring loaded capo out of the lead guitarists kit bag.  We were about to ditch the song when he said, "Well too bad you can't capo a bass."  "You can't?", I asked.   I don't know much, and not knowing that it can't be done we figured to give it a try.  It worked out just fine.

I've always found that I think of the best solutions to problems when I don't know any better.   The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Here's a good general look at capos http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia … capo1.html  This is a great site for info! I'd recommend browsing around a little.....Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

capo = man's best friend

especially if you're just an average guitar strummer and then your praise band wants you to learn to play a song on a mandolin in F in two weeks.....................

yup, you'll use a capo

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Hello, I am wondering if someone could tell me a good site to help me with the capo. I play alot of country music and I am still having problems with f chord and b7 chord. So I really cannot play key of C or E and would really like to join in on alot of songs. I can transpose the chords with the different keys it is just the issue of what fret do I put the capo on. Thanks in advance.

31 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-23 04:35:35)

for c capo 5th fret play open G for C open C for F  open D for G for the key of E capo 2nd fret play open D for E open G for A and open A for B

"Growing old is not for sissies"

THANK YOU RUSSELL!!

I am getting a capo this weekend.  There are so many songs in "C" that I'd like to do but have such a problem with getting to F cleanly.  Wonderful!! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

you are very welcome and happy pickin

Zurf wrote:

THANK YOU RUSSELL!!

I am getting a capo this weekend.  There are so many songs in "C" that I'd like to do but have such a problem with getting to F cleanly.  Wonderful!! 

- Zurf

Thanks Russell, I appreciate the help very much. Now I know where to go if anything else comes around.

if i can help you got it there are a lot of good players on chordie and if you need help with theory you wont have to look further to find the answers you need we got a bunch of well versed therorist to guide you so ask and you shall receive and thanks for your comment

Can one of these theorists explain tritones without leaving my head spinning? The challenge has been laid down.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Here are some examples of the application of tri-tones. Explaining the specifics is quite wordy and involves augmented usages. It gets confusing.

In popular music
Black Sabbath's guitarist Tony Iommi used a tritone as the entire basis for his song Black Sabbath. He plays a tritone exclusively until halfway through the song.
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta makes extensive use of the tritone in the large majority of his compositions.
Nu metal band Korn uses tritone in great amount in its works especially on their first album Korn.
Thrash metal band Slayer's 1998 album is entitled Diabolus in Musica and the song Bitter Peace features the tritone.
The intro to the song Purple Haze by the Jimi Hendrix Experience uses a tritone in which Hendrix plays a B♭ octave while bassist Noel Redding plays an E octave.
The intro to the song YYZ by Rush uses the tritone C-F♯ several times over before entering the main riff.
The intro to the song Last Entertainment by the Swiss technical Thrash Metal band Coroner uses an A-D♯ tritone.
The intro to the song Charlie by Red Hot Chili Peppers uses a series of tritones: F-B, B-F, B♭-E, and E-B♭.
Many King Crimson songs (for example, Red) make extensive use of tritones.
One of the intro riffs in the song "As I Am" by Dream Theater uses the C-F♯ tritone
Buckethead makes extensive use of tritones in his rapid solos to give them a "robotic" and "unnatural" feel. Sometimes, like in the song Jordan, he'll perform a solo using only tritones.
The tritone is a particularly important interval in heavy metal.
The bass line to Busta Rhymes song Woo-Ha uses a tritone.

Give everything but up.

Here's a shortened explanation of tri-tones;

The tritone (tri- or three and tone) is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The tritone is the same as an augmented fourth, which in equal temperament is enharmonic to a diminished fifth. It is often used as the main interval of dissonance in Western harmony, and is important in the study of musical harmony.

Give everything but up.

alvee i think the southpaw took care of your chalange i dont think i would chalange him not on theory id lose,mabey on making pizza from scratch i would have a fighting chance unless of course he's related to chef boy r de

mmmmmmm, pizza................

Give everything but up.

Y'all got me totally confused! Cept for the Pizza

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Pizza is good.  If there's pizza on the line, just make up your own answer on tritones.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

tritones that sounds like an early 50ths vocal trio kinda like "the do mores" pizza's just about ready gonna pop a vidio in the old vhs player tom cruze "the firm"great piano track throughout the movie

Aahhhch i think i'll jusy stick wi the pizza

I use a capo probably more than I should, mostly because I much prefer the sound of an open chord to a barre chord.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:

I use a capo probably more than I should, mostly because I much prefer the sound of an open chord to a barre chord.

Same here. Can't beat that beautiful sound.

Another advantage of using a capo is expanding the life of ones frets. I used to have my main gig guitar (acoustic) refretted 3 times a year. Since my introduction to the capo my guitar will last 3 years now in between fret jobs. The last 3 years I've averaged 360 gigs annually so the frets gets played ALOT! When practicing at home, giving lessons, and doing studio/session work I always use a guitar other than my main gig guitar. When playing live, I make an attempt to play equal time in open, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th fret positioning. Any further UP the fretboard and the sound gets too tinty for my likes. I used to feel like people who used a capo weren't intelligent enough to learn "all of the chords". As I've matured ( that's controversial in itself, just ask my wife) I've changed my stance on capos and their application. Capo's are a very helpful tool in many areas of music. Excellent information given in previous posts.
   And speaking of pizza again, how good is a big, slice of cold pizza for breakfast?......Oh gawd........

Give everything but up.

Here's something I tried for a while with a capo. Put the capo on the second fret then tuned all the strings down so they were tuned as if they were still being played open.
It was certainly easier to play all those nasty barre chords and speeded up my finger picking.
But ultimately it felt like I was cheating so it was abit of a pointless exercise.
Just 1 of the 101 things you can do with a capo.
Ark