Re: Cigarettes and Singing

No ear bending there bonedaddy. I'm setting the date to give it up for good and any and all advise will be a huge help.I'm sure I'll be back checking this thread often for tips and reasons about why I should quit while I'm quitting.
Thanks tubatooter1940 and welcome to Chordie. Hopefully I haven't done damage and will be able to try that out.
Congrats on quitting and an even bigger congrats on your bypass and not letting it slow you down.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Kap:
I've smoked in fits and starts for over thirty years....10 years on, 10 years off, 10 back on, quit for 8 months last year but started back again this past winter.
I can tell you without a doubt that my voice is hugely impacted by smoking.
The more I smoke, the lower my range for sure, but the high end is gone as well as the ability to sustain a note.
I can also tell you that some of my sickest and most miserable times have come in conjunction with quitting...the nausea, dizziness and just plain confusion caused by the withdrawal were unbeleivable last time.
BUT
Most of those symptoms passed within a month (anyone who tells you they pass after a few days is blowing sunshine up your skirts) and I found I could breathe easier within days and the raunchy throat also cleared up quickly.
Add to the health benefits the fact that I was saving about $50 - $60 a week not buying smokes and you can see where I'm going.
I've only been smoking again for 6 months and it's as if I had never quit. The phlegm, wheezing and dependance are back full strength and yes, I do a better job at Johnny Cash again, but Slim Whitman's out of the question.
Time for me to take another run at it and good luck to both of us!

Hey tunedeaf.Nice to see an Ontario lad here.$50-60 is what I spend also.As much as the cost is a factor, it is more important for me to up and quit and stay quit cause I know it's the right thing to do.Getting back into guitar has done a lot for my self confidence as has joining Chordie.Self confidence I think is key.Lots of good people here that have been smokers and have quit.I don't see why we can't be in that group also. I never could do Johnny Cash anyways.LOL
Keep in touch and let me know how your doing
Good Luck to you Sir and Me Both. smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

DAY 1 Thy Will Be Done

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hang tough kap you can do it! your health and life are not replaceable stay with it !!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

You can do it Kap, I did.   I just put it out if my mind and chewed lots of gum and drink water lots.  At home when the craving came I picked up my guitar and that helped. I tell you after you start feeling better with more energy you'll say it was worth it to quit. And OH MY  food taste way better as well. Like the Nike commericial  "Just Do It". Good luck you can do it.

...Badeye... cool

one caper after another

32 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-11 20:41:22)

Thought I may as well write a tune about this adventure 2 lines a day for a week than a verse a week.It can be good therapy cause the song is more important than smoking.
I'll try not to "drag" it on.  LOL

Get er Done Son smile

Day ones come thy will be done.
Gonna quit smokin gotta get er done.
Day twos here gonna face the fear.
Drink a lotta water ain't drinkin no beer.
Now it's day three and I've got the shakes.
I don't know how much my body can take.
On day four had a bad attack.
Smoked two smokes,just a little set-back.
Day five's passed and my lungs are gassed.
Look at all the money my wallets a-massed.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

A-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-H-H-H-H-H
Hack...Cough...Hack...Hack

Round 1...Nick O'Tine 1  KAP54  0

Getting set for round two smile This fight is far from over mad

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Keep at it KAP54 - and I shall too.  Your poem is a great idea!

I had quit there for a while - but have had a slip.
Am sprawled all across Tobacco Road right now - but shall get back on the wagon soon.

The gum stuff is helpful but it takes real will power to kick and habit and keep it kicked.
Wish I had never started . . . .
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]