Topic: Cigarettes and Singing

I'm a smoker from way back,started in my early teens and am 54 now.When I was in my twenties I managed to quit for 3 years and for some godly reason I started up again and kick myself everyday for it.I could almost be a healthy,rich man if I did LOL.When I did quit it made a huge difference in my singing voice as I could hit the high notes but for could not get the guttural,whiskey voice needed for many songs.I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this and if they managed to overcome it without getting sloshed.
Thanks smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: Cigarettes and Singing

You won't settle for a voice like Rod Stewart, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson or Bob Dylan?  By the way, I always wonder how these guys would do against Simon Cowle.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Kap,

I smoked for 21 years, now stopped for nearly 3 years.
I have found that I can sing better, but I did get a nodule after I stopped smoking. maybe I was trying to get the rough sound back wit hno smoke?
Anyway I find my singing has improved a lot and I am getting into tune better than I did before.

I loved smoking but the reasons I gave up were better reasons than just I loved to smoke. Reasons I wanted to smoke: Made me relaxed, made me less grumpy, sociable with friends.

Reasons for stopping: Found it harder to get my tobacco for £4 rather than in the shops at £9.60, I was waking up some mornings wheezing, I didnt like the idea of tobacco firms lacing the nicotine with amonia to make it addictive ( nicotine alone is not addicive it is what they put in the nicotine) I could not smoke in the house due to the kids and had to go outside so I thought stuff it, I am giving up. And because I really wanted to i manged fine with the aide of patches for 12 weeks.
Stopping was one of the best achievements I have done in the past 10 years

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

4 (edited by KAP54 2008-06-29 15:04:40)

bensonp
Just a question about smoking.I'm not trying to offend anybody.Rod Stewart,Johnny Cash,Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan are great singers.With the exception of Simon Cowle I am a big fan of them all and always will be.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi upyerkilt.
Good for you for quitting.Very tough to do.The pro's definitely outweigh the con's
Did you ever get that rough sound back in your voice and if you didn't how did that affect your singing style.
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I smoked for 45 yrs and loved it then one day i was feeling dizzy and I went to my doctor for a physical after xrays he sat me down and said "Russell you have emphezema and I am commiting you to st marys hospital for therapy and treatment and if you quit smoking today the truth is your lungs will never,I repeat NEVER heal or improve but they will with medication and therapy not degenerate and the good news is the xrays and ultrasound detected NO cancer" well that was in 2001 and I haven't smoked a ciggarette since,true I still have to take inhalers 4 times a day and to be honest I even thought of suicide but my ego is to big to permit that cowaradly escape.So its your choice you can risk it and maybe live a long life free of lung desease or cancer OR wind up on the obituary page where people can read about what a "nice and generious person you WERE while they devide your belongings amoung themselves.The risks are to great,if you smoke find a way, any way you can and quit! period, today! while the choice is still yours to make.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Nope Kap,
never got that rough groughy sound back unfortunatly, when i try to I can feel my wee nodule starting to go and when that does I lose my voice so i have to settle for the softer sort of singing, well apart from whsky in the jar, irish rover, wild rover etc, they just cannot and were not meant to be sung softly so I dont, I will risk the nodule for them ,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I smoked for 25 years and one day went cold turkey, 1 year amd 9 months smoke free. Got tired of the constant cough every morning.  I believe my acoustic guitar really helped me quit. Feel much better with more energy than ever.

take care  Badeye..  cool

one caper after another

Hey guys.Thanks for the imput.I've been wanting to quit again the last couple of years but oddly enough the doctor thinks I shouldn't quit just yet as it would be too hard on my already fragile nerves.Coming to Chordie has definitely helped me coming out of my shell and in time (along with recording a tune or two) I WILL be quiting.

badeye.I believe also that my acoustic will help me in this quest.It'll give me something to do with my fingers besides pick my nose LOL

Russell.Sorry to hear about the emphysema.Good to see and hear that it hasn't slowed you down.Keep up the good tunes.

upyerkilt.Its good that you can save your voice for the songs that mean the most to you.Good food for thought.

Thanks Again
KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I did the 'cold turkey' gig the first week in January this year. I can say, with my hand on my heart, in all honesty, no bull, total truth and no lies, I can't play any better and still have a voice that frightens the cats.

20/30 a day for around 40 years. The last 6 months has not been easy, couple of holes in the doors, the wife and parrot have both left home and I have set fire to most things in the house to see what they taste like( hence the parrot leaving).

If you want the Rod Stewart voice try a drink called Knob Creek, the American guys will tell you about it.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

KAP54 wrote:

bensonp
Just a question about smoking.I'm not trying to offend anybody.Rod Stewart,Johnny Cash,Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan are great singers.With the exception of Simon Cowle I am a big fan of them all and always will be.

KAP54 smile

Understand.  I. too am a smoker and it doesn't appear to bother my singing too much.  I just mentioned those names because they all have gravelly voices, much like smoking can cause, I think..  I love all of them, even with the raspy voice.  Watching American Idol, I always just wonder what kind of marks those singers would get on the show.  The new singing seems to have about 5-10 sylables for every word.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

charlotte
20/30 a day for 40 years is a long time.....I'll BET your parrot had its eye on you.
Kudos to you charlotte Keep it up. smile
I'll have to check out Knob Creek joust to see what it's like.
It won't give me his hair will it? LOL
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

No Harm No Foul bensonp. smile
I was looking for responses from people that have quit smoking and how it has affected their singing.Having quit once along time ago I know how it affected my singing and I am curious if it has done the same with others.I'm guessing the same but I don't know.
Thanks KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hi guys

I smoked for about 12 years and have not smoked in the last 14 years or so...  IMHO everybody should just quit smoking!  l still can't sing and don't have a massive range but I don't care as I only really sing to please myself!

The thing about smoking being good for calming the nerves, I don't believe it for a second - poisoning yourself and replacing your oxygen with carbon monoxide et al is good for you? I don't think so!  Not worrying about the price of killing yourself slowly and in great discomfort - priceless!!!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

What Bonedaddy has forgotted that I have a recording of his singing and he is not as bad as he makes out.

I too am a smoker, I have given up for up to 8 years and then something has made me turn to them again. At the moment I have not smoked for three months and my fingers are crossed. I do agree that your vocal range and the ability to hold a note will improve without the deaded weed.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger,did you find your vocals changed enough where it was tough to get your
"whiskey voice" for those songs that need a rough edge.And congrats on the quitting again.Hang in there and get her done. smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Kenny,

My favourite songs are the love songs, the sad ones and the romantic ones and, not being one to even try and attempt to sing like an established star, I try to do my own thing. My voice is as it is and I try to sing naturally, I exersice it to try and increase range but not tone, and that is how I sing.

I have just done a quick calculation and in the past 14 years I have only smoked in total for 2 to 3 of them so I probably lost my cigarette huskiness a long time ago.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hi kap i'm still smoking but cut down i find i get blocked nose and flem quite a lot ,i'm always snuffling instead of getting the old hankey out,i thinki'll have to try harder the cost is spiralling out of control ,about a quarter of my wage in fags,the wife and son smoke also so it makes a big hole every week,thanks for the inspirations....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi, I quit 1 year and 7 months ago and had been smoking for 17 years.  I am finally finding a voice under all the smokiness. I can hit the high notes now and loving it.  When I want to go husky, I just think sultry thoughts and it seems to work a treat.  Don't know if this helps as I am a chick.  If I sounded like Rod Stewart I'd be in trouble. x

The doctor quickly opened my eyes when he told me this; " Keep using tobacco and die in 2 years or less or stop using tobacco and live 30 or 40 years longer. I quit using tobacco 2 years ago. If I die it will not be from tobacco. I saw the light, the risk much more outweighs the reward, 4 real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tobacco is for weak-minded pansies. I can say his this because I was once one, no more, no more!

Give everything but up.

When I quit I made a list of pros and cons of smoking.Couldn't come up with any pros, the con list was long. The benifits of not smoking is huge.

smoke free Badeye..   cool

one caper after another

No bout adout it....Smoking is bad for you and everyone around you.
Gonna get real serious about quitting the "dreaded weed" cause I do value life more. Lots of good input here to fall back if I should have a weak moment. I'm thinking there will be a few.
Hi scrivadam,welcome to chordie. I'll keep that in mind when I need that huskiness. smile I don't wanna sound like Rod Stewart either. LOL

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

As a follow up, as of May 31/08 the Ontario government passed a law stating that all smokes sold must not be in view of the public.
This means that every gas station,store or who-ever sells smokes must have a fancy cabinet with different panels for all the different brands.When you go into a store you cannot see any smokes anywhere.This is a great law cause when I'm stressed about paying a high price for gas the last thing I need is to see all those smokes all lined up nice and purdy and calling out my name.Money grab by the government??? Maybe but it's about time there was one that will do some good.

Out of Sight ...Out of Mind.

This will help me tons. smile smile smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey, KAP54!

Bonedaddy's no smoking course - yours FREE in association with Chordie!!!

Step

1, Smoke a lower tar brand for a while - no taste at first but stick with it as you will adapt

2, When you smoke, concentrate on how it feels going over the oesophagus, try to feel that 'catch' you used to get when you first started smoking.  If you don't feel it, you been doing it for too long!

3, As you smoke try to feel the burn in your lungs you used to get when you first started, these are the body's defence mechanisms you have overridden for years!

4, As you take each drag, remind yourself how awful it felt on your first cigarette, try to relive that throat clenching gag reflex when you almost swallowed instead of inhaling.

5, Smoke only at certain times of the day, One after breakfast, one on the way to work, one on morning break, two at lunch, one on afternoon break, one on way home and three or four max in the evening.  When you have done this for two or three weeks, stop smoking!  Don't 'try to give up' or 'attempt to kick the habit' just don't light up!  Your body will be less dependant on nicotine because of the lesser tar brand, you will be in the habit of smoking less because of your routine smokes, your body will only miss the smoking at those times of the day when you led it to expect a hit, the craving will last for about the length of time it would have taken you to smoke a cigarette and then go away!  Just pick up a guitar or something instead

6, That's it!  Simple as! No more smokes, ever!  If you smell someone else's cigarette, just remember how loathsome it felt when you first started!

Sorry to bend your ear but I gave up this way, no need for patches or gum which IMHO set you up to fail.

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Smoked 45 years. Quit in 2001 after a five way heart bypass. People with heart disease who smoke are idiots. So nice to be free.
Always had a problem with a too smooth singing voice. My solution is to sing hard for a couple of hours the day before a gig. Being a tad hoarse is good for me.That roughs me up fine for unlimited nights in a row. A week off or more necessitates burning it in again.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?