Topic: Improving my setup

Hi guys. Hope you're all rockin good.

So I'm fairly new to recording digitally or in any format for that matter, and i really want to get a better setup because right now it's basically my webcam mic plugged into the mic port of my laptop and I use magix music maker to do the mixing. It doesn´t sound as bas as the setup would lead to believe but I know that I could get better recordings. So I'd really appreciate any input you guys have. I'm willing to invest some money on that but my budget it's very small.

I've read up a bit on audio interfaces and if any of you have some knowledge on this that you can share I'd appreciate it. I've seen some of them are cheap and don't take much space so they's fit the budget and also my room which it's not big.

Thanks y'all.

If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem with the kids in school...

Re: Improving my setup

Hi smart dee dee if you check out the Audacity tutorials on my mediafire site you can download them free and I would suggest getting the audacity program its also free from sourceforge.com you might have to download a program called LAME from the same place so you can export your songs as mp3's but audacity is an excellent music sound on sound editor and all the instructions how to use it are on the video tutorials it cost next to nothing and produces really great results and any questions you have you can ask me I made the videos so  the first thing is to get the audacity program downloaded and then download LAME it comes in a zipped folder so you may have to download winzip if you dont have a unzipper its also free. the only chord you will need to hook up your computer to your guitar or keyboard is a y adapter it cost about $4.95 from radio shack and the tutorials will tell you how to hook it up and use it, if you want to buy a recorder you will still need to dowload audacity to get it into your files so you have a few options personally I like the price of a free program so any questions feel free to ask smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Deedee and welcome to the recording forum,

If you are doing solo recording, mostly vocal and an instrument, your best first investment would be in a good quality microphone.
Your laptop and most software will do a pretty good job of capturing what you put into it, and a big part of that is how good an audio signal you can provide.  Acoustic/electric and electric guitars can go straight into the sound card with your guitar cable and an adapter, but you will need a mic for acoustic only and of course those vocals!
Dynamic microphones don't require any outside power source (or pre-amp), condensers do so you have to allow for that additional expense when shopping.  Try to find something with a frequency response between 20Hz - 15-20kHz. You should be able to find something in a reasonable price range that will fit your budget, and some kind of stand.  I like telescopic boom stands because they are more versatile and you can get a pretty good one for around $20.00 with a heavy enough base to be stable. 

Check out www.musiciansfriend.com for special deals etc. and if you need more info or advise.... you know where to find us!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks guys for the tips. 

Yesterday after I posted I read a bit on audacity and tought that would be a better editor than the one I use, so thank you Russell for the advice and I will make some time to look at the tutorials and check out the software.

Now on the mic front I have lately considered buying the mic but didn't really know which one would be best for my needs, so thank you Doug for the advice. To be more specific I own an acoustic guitar which I use for my recordings and also have a keyboard but haven't recorded anything with it, for now it's just the guitar and my vocals. A while ago I did some research on mics and saw that some of them are versatile and can be used to record instruments and vocals as well, so if any of you have some imput on this I'd appreciate it.

Thank you guys again and best wishes...

If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem with the kids in school...

smart dee dee im glad you checked out the audacity program and thank you for your comment as far as mic's are concerned a good all around inexpensive mic (and i have one) is the Sure Sm 58 it records vocals and acoustic guitar and is virtually indestructible I have been using it for over 15 yrs with out a problem it sells for under $70 dollars and all the songs on my website vocals, acoustic or mandolin were recorded with the Sm58 there are better mic's for recording like senshouser and if you have $1000 to shell out or more  it is worth the money but the sm 58 will produce quality sounds over and over but there are others and im sure someone will chime in with there recommendations so take your time and get the best value for your money along with durability smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

From what ive read....if you decide to purchase an audio interface....a firewire interface is the way to go.....alot of usb interfaces seem to have a latency issue...luckily i had a friend that was wanting to sell a firebox for 200.00.....retail is 300.00....so i jumped on it....it was a step forward for me...up until then i had recorded using my inputs on my soundcard....just make the best of what you have and when the opportunity to upgrade comes along ...take it...and first and foremost...just have fun working with what you have...