Topic: New Strings

Elixer strings are $30 a set.  I got three sets of my standard D'Addarios for that.

What is the magic in the Elixers that make 'em three times as much?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: New Strings

I got a set of Elixer for £10.70 ( about $ 17.86 or $18.02) from ebay. Normally cost about £18 here for a new set.

I was a bit wary of getting different strings but after my wife got new violin strings at 4 times the amount she had before and made her violin sound better I thought I would get these elixer strings I kept hearing getting advertised on the radio even though they were more than double the price I normally pay.

I put them on over a week ago, I have played the guitar everyday and still the strings sound new.
All strings can last for a very long time but it is the sound that the elixer strings seem to hold more. ye might get 3 brand new sets for the same price but wit helixer strings you chanbge them less often than you would with your cheaper ones.

Like I said I was a bit wary but after little over a week, I have recommended them already to 3 others.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey Jerome,

I think the majic of Elixer strings is in the name, and thats all your paying for. I've played them on my guitar and they really didn't impress me much.

I mostly play D'addarios I like the way they play and feel, but the only problem I have with the D'Addarios is that they are color coded and I am color

blind. So when I need to change my strings I have to find someone to mark the strings for me so I don't mix them up.....LOL

Bob

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-02-16 20:07:15)

You're paying too much for Elixers!! I order mine on the web from Dr Clucks for $12 a set and that's for the higher priced nano phospher bronze customs! Shopping around can get them for $10 a set! My local music store only charges $19.99 and they tend to e high... I'd find another source if you like them. I love the fresh sound that they keep for a long period of time...They also have a great feel and record very well with less string noise.. Worth every penny in the long run. I'd change standard strings every 2 weeks and a set of elixers will hold me over for 2 or more months! -Pix

Oh and I think the magic is actually on the outside wink The coating smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Jerome,

I use Elixers (nanoweb, coated) on one of my acoustics, and Dean Markley Phosphor Bronze on the other. Sometimes I switch it up and use Elixers on the second guitar and DM's on the first. What I've noticed the most about the Elixers are tone I get, and the durability of the strings.

I play both guitars about the same amount as I like to keep one in different tuning from the other. The tone of the Elixers is rather bright compared to the DMs. The DMs seem to give a warmer feel and the Elixers give me clearer mids and highs. Also, the Elixers generally keep their original tone up to 2-3 times longer and, since they're coated, they get less grimy from your sweat.

For me, the drawback to the Elixers (setting aside preference of tone) is the "syrup-py" sound that I get when I first put them on. It's the same with other strings, but with the Elixers, it takes longer for them to stretch and to get to that optimum place in between the "new string sound" and the "dull string sound".

I apologize if the explanation is unclear. I find it hard to explain the difference in sound lol. But, I think it's worth giving them a shot because many people seem to love the Elixers after trying them.

J.

Yeah, you're getting robbed paying $30 a set.

http://www.music123.com/Search/Default. … ch_go.y=12

I get mine for $15- $18 at 3 local music stores.  You can get 'em for less on line but I like helping my local economy if it doesn't cut too far into my overhead.

The elixirs do have an incredible sound and their longevity is unmatched by an other string I've ever used.

edited to add(2-16-9 app 3:52PM)

Give everything but up.

I also have been using them for a few years. They sound new longer. 30 bucks? I order them on line in multipacks. I think the price in qty is much less (around 15.00 or so).

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Well, they are asking $30, but I bought the D's for $9.99 like I always do.   $30 is pretty outrageous.   It is a local shop in a small town, so I expect to pay a bit more for whatever I buy there, and I'm a believer in supporting the small town local shop, so I buy stuff there.   A world where the only choice we have is Guitar Center is a world I don't want to be in.  big_smile

I think I'll try to find a shop with some instruments strung with them before I buy a set.  I'll go with what I know first.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like them.  I'm all for supporting local shops, but not being robbed by them.  For me, the nanowebs sound bright at first and the brightness lasts longer than with my D'Addorios - especially the silk and steels that I prefer.  I only get about two weeks out of the silk and steels before they sound dull and lifeless.  I get two months out of the nanowebs frequently.  Your mileage may vary.  No animals were harmed in the typing of this message.  Message safe for all ages.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

They're all I use ... I've tried different strings and I keep going back to the Elixirs

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I've tried the Nanoweb Elixers and paid around $17.00 for them. Then I found the Ernie Ball Coated Slinkys for $10.00 a set. I can't feel or hear any difference in the two other than the EB's are more slippery. Both brands last quite a while longer than any other brand i have used being D'addario, Ghs, Martins, Fender, & Gibson strings.

The thing I don't like about the coated strings is that they feel slippery to my fretting fingers plus they seem to sound brighter and I like a warmer sound.

My .02

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.