Topic: comparing guitar pick ups

There is 1 thing I can not understand.

You purchase let's say a gibson SG standard with 490R neck and 498T bridge coils, with cover.They throw another gibson SG on the market, like the menace with also 490R and 498T BUT they call them SMOKEY coils, without cover. I have to admit that there is no special paint on it, just wood you see. I visited once the factory in Memphis tenessee, and it is, I think, quit expensive to put the nitrocellulose on the guitar, taking a lot of time.

But my question was more: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 490R and a 490R=Smokey coil, 498T versus 498T smokey coil. There is quit an important difference when you purchase a gibson sg, and I haven't yet got the occasion to compare.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: comparing guitar pick ups

Me thinks that the main difference is marketing...Gibson makes some very fine products and really wants to sell you lots of stuff. I really don't know the answer to your question but I would compare the two side by side with my usual amp setup and see if there is a difference.  I remember it being popular for people to remove the covers from pickups on Les Pauls...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Re: comparing guitar pick ups

As Jaygordon75 said their probley the same pickup with out the covers. The way to tell is if you ohmed the pickps to see what the K value was. The covered pickups would would have a slight edge because more than likely they have been potted (dipped in wax) to cut down unwanted noise from the pick up.

Bootlegger.