"Ensiferum" is a Viking / Folk metal band from Helsinki, Finland. Although the band label themselves as "Heroic Folk Metal"
- Growling vocals, often mixed with clean vocals for choruses and bridges
- Distorted guitar mixed with acoustic guitar
- Folk melodies played on lead guitar or keyboard overlaying heavier traditional heavy metal backing rythms such as the classic gallop rythm
- Double bass drumming patterns
- Occasional classic metal "shredding" guitar solos
- Lyrical themes relating to fantastical, archaic, or historic stories usually with heroic sentiment. Lyrics are inspired by literature, films, and poetry, such as the great Finnish saga "Kalevala"
''Ensiferum'' was founded in 1995 by Markus Toivonen (guitar), Sauli Savolainen (bass) and Kimmo Miettinen (drums). For the band's name they took the latin word "Ensiferum" which means "sword-bearer". In the next year Jari Mäenpää was taken into the band as singer and second guitar-player. In 1997 The first demo containing three songs was released.