Topic: Double Chords?

I have seen in a couple of songs where they have chords written like C/G or similar.  What does that mean.  Is it that you can play either one or is it some kind of combination of both?

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

Re: Double Chords?

resprod wrote:

I have seen in a couple of songs where they have chords written like C/G or similar.  What does that mean.  Is it that you can play either one or is it some kind of combination of both?

hi respod,
A split chord such as the one you mentioned( C/G) is a C chord with an added G bass note.

On a piano the C chord would be played with the right hand and the G bass note would be played with left hand.

On the guitar you'd play it like this (332010). There are other ways to play this but this is most common way.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Okay, that makes sense.  I will try it on the song and see if it sounds like it is suppose to.  Is the bass note and the cord played at the the same time or is a fingering on the bass and then strum the chord?

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

at the same time, strummed or finger picked smile

resprod wrote:

Is the bass note and the cord played at the the same time or is a fingering on the bass and then strum the chord?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

resprod wrote:

Okay, that makes sense.  I will try it on the song and see if it sounds like it is suppose to.  Is the bass note and the cord played at the the same time or is a fingering on the bass and then strum the chord?

That would depend on the song you're playing. Straight ahead strumming you'd play them together. If you're playing a Chet Atkins' type song( country, rockabilly,etc.) you might chose to play the C chord and G bass notes seperately 'bouncing' back and forth between the two.

Give everything but up.

I have played a 3/4 country beat like that (My Heroes have always been Cowboys), bass first and then the chord.  I am also going to try Russell's version and see how it sounds.  Might be a new hidden sound for me.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

If you like that 3/4 old-style country songs, try Russell's "A Few To Many".  It's a terrific old-school style drinkin' and cheatin' country song, though he did have the shear cussedness to slip a stinking "B" chord into it.  Freakin' mutant. 

He posted it on the Songwriting forum here a long while ago.  I don't know how long those things are archived, but you may be able to find it using a search. 

Russell plays it with all sorts of wonderful licks and fills, but I play it with a simple bass strum strum, bass strum strum. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

respod heres a link to a "few to many" on youtube see if you like the feel of it there are a few changes but zurf is right I have the song in the songwriting secton with all the chords this is youtubes link   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2QN85sL … annel_page
this is the link to the chords on chordie all done in chopro they can be printed if you care to smile
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7197

zurf I did it just for you lol and thanks for the plug smile

Zurf wrote:

If you like that 3/4 old-style country songs, try Russell's "A Few To Many".  It's a terrific old-school style drinkin' and cheatin' country song, though he did have the shear cussedness to slip a stinking "B" chord into it.  Freakin' mutant. 

He posted it on the Songwriting forum here a long while ago.  I don't know how long those things are archived, but you may be able to find it using a search. 

Russell plays it with all sorts of wonderful licks and fills, but I play it with a simple bass strum strum, bass strum strum. 

- Zurf

Russel:

Listened to you song on YouTube.  Very nice. Great feeling.  I do have to agree with Zurf on the "B' chord.  Those Barr chords are going to be my nemsis.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

funnily enough, I have more problems with an F than a B. I can quite smoothly change into a B (ish), where as a proper F still makes me hesitate for a second.

On topic, I hate the D/G (or similar), because I just can't work out a comfortable way to hold a D and add a bass note. I often end up cheating and just play the bottom two open with a normal D

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

D/G ? are you sure its not a D/F#

ApeDoctor wrote:

funnily enough, I have more problems with an F than a B. I can quite smoothly change into a B (ish), where as a proper F still makes me hesitate for a second.

On topic, I hate the D/G (or similar), because I just can't work out a comfortable way to hold a D and add a bass note. I often end up cheating and just play the bottom two open with a normal D

I play the "evil B" with my 1st finger barring the second fret and I use my 4th finger instead of my third on the 4th fret for the D G and B strings its less strain on my wrist and hand and thanks for the comments smile

resprod wrote:

Russel:

Listened to you song on YouTube.  Very nice. Great feeling.  I do have to agree with Zurf on the "B' chord.  Those Barr chords are going to be my nemsis.

A Chet Atkins Type song is fingerpicking as is Merle Travis,Leo Kottke,James Taylor ect..and alternating bass notes is part of fingerpicking thats why I said strummed or fingerpicked at the same time because even if your fingerpicking one of the "bouncing"notes has to fall on the first and third beats of the bar smile

SouthPaw41L wrote:
resprod wrote:

That would depend on the song you're playing. Straight ahead strumming you'd play them together. If you're playing a Chet Atkins' type song( country, rockabilly,etc.) you might chose to play the C chord and G bass notes seperately 'bouncing' back and forth between the two.

I hear a lot of fuss over the B chord on here. It isn't any different the Bb, C, D, E!! They take a little bit of practice, but they are very doable. Practice, practice, practice!!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Russell_Harding wrote:

I play the "evil B" with my 1st finger barring the second fret and I use my 4th finger instead of my third on the 4th fret for the D G and B strings its less strain on my wrist and hand and thanks for the comments smile

resprod wrote:

Russel:

You know, I wonder if I can do that and use the ring finger to just give some added pressure to the pinky the way I use my middle finger to give my index finger some extra pressure on an F#m.  Strength is what I lack.  And also flexibility and talent.  And determination.  But with strength, talent, flexibility, and determination, I'm sure that I could play a B.  In the meanwhile, B7 is an open chord and easy to get to...

I've been trying to relearn the A using the ring, middle, pinky (yes, out of order) instead of the middle, index, ring (again, I know its out of order but for some reason crossing the fingers makes it easier to get to the strings for me) so that I can get a B by playing an A up further and using the index to barre.  It's not easy to relearn something like that.  That's where the strength, talent, flexibility, and determination come in. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

getfiddle wrote:

I hear a lot of fuss over the B chord on here. It isn't any different the Bb, C, D, E!! They take a little bit of practice, but they are very doable. Practice, practice, practice!!

You are entirely mistaken.  The B chord is evil.  It's inhuman.  If more people understood guitar chords, playing a B chord would be a circus trick akin to those guys who leap twenty feet in the air on a pogo stick, do a couple summersaults, and land with the pointy end of the pogo stick in a Dixie cup.  B chords are the real reason Rome fell.  B chords will get your cat pregnant (even the male ones) and steal your socks.  They'll return your car on empty and leave the lights on to drain your battery. B chords NEVER put the seat down.  They're rotten to the bone (even though they don't have bones). 

- Zurf

Thanks for the laugh Zurf and by the way try playing a A chord (2nd fret open A) with your fingers this way 1st finger on the 3rd string 2nd fret 2nd finger on the 4th string 2nd fret and the 3rd finger on the 2nd string 2nd fret just for the heck of it smile

I think the ring middle pinky for an A would be a good alternative.  I do the A with just my index and middle.  Maybe that is my beginning of a baby barr.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

20 (edited by Zurf 2009-01-07 15:46:54)

Russell_Harding wrote:

Thanks for the laugh Zurf and by the way try playing a A chord (2nd fret open A) with your fingers this way 1st finger on the 3rd string 2nd fret 2nd finger on the 4th string 2nd fret and the 3rd finger on the 2nd string 2nd fret just for the heck of it smile

That's how I do A.  It crosses the fingers, but it's easier.  What I'm thinking is to do the same cross, but use the middle, ring, and pinky instead of the index, middle, ring.  That way my index finger would be freed up either for doing a barre and getting to a B (unlikely as that may seem) or for waggling at some naughty person in the circle. 

To get back on topic, doing this would make it easier to do an A/D chord as well, assuming I ever wanted to play an A/D chord.

- Zurf

What's wrong with playing an A with just the middle finger?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My dad plays and he has a broken tendon from a childhood accident that prevents him from bending his middle finger on his strumming hand.  Sadly enough he was not allowed to play in Church ;-)

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

resprod wrote:

My dad plays and he has a broken tendon from a childhood accident that prevents him from bending his middle finger on his strumming hand.  Sadly enough he was not allowed to play in Church ;-)

He might have been OK at Woodstock playing for Country Joe McDonald.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

What's wrong with playing an A with just the middle finger?

It ticks off the drummer.

- Zurf