Topic: Scales

Anybudy ever have songs that are played in the scales? or have songs that r good to writing melodies to by useing scales?
and how many ppl out there know the scales and the scale patterns "ionina, dorian, phygian, mixolydian, aeolian"?

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

Re: Scales

Hey there totally_unique13, check out this link... www.looknohands/chordhouse/ . they have all the scales you mention as well as chords. You may find what you're looking for

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

welcome  to Chordie Unique to try and answer your questions all songs are played "in the scales" and all melodies are written useing scales and the scale "patterns" you list below are called modes which include the pentatonic (not listed) and these modes are used as the basis for a progression of chords or sometimes only one chord like in chants or sitar music smile

totally_unique13 wrote:

Anybudy ever have songs that are played in the scales? or have songs that r good to writing melodies to by useing scales?
and how many ppl out there know the scales and the scale patterns "ionina, dorian, phygian, mixolydian, aeolian"?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Also you would likely enjoy a trip to the Music Theory forum here on Chordie.  Scales are their bread and butter.

To answer your questions, I don't write melodies and I have played a little in the various scale modes but can't claim to "know" them.  My exposure is more flirtatious than Biblical.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hmm.. Ionian 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dorian.. 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Phrygian...1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian,,,,,1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian....1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
minor pentatonic (just for giggles) 1 b3 5 7
I'm not that smart so I cheat, I have a program called "Guitar Alchemist" it diagrams over 2000 variations on chords and corresponding scales I let it do the grunt work, just like I use a calculator to balance my checking account so my mind is free to think and create smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"