Topic: Hit the chords clean or keep to timing?

Hello all,

I'm at the stage where I can play pretty much all the open chords and change reasonably quickly between them, some are clean and some not, I'll blame the cheap guitar for the latter ;?)

There are a few chords which I'm taking longer to position my fingers for, namely C and it messes up my timing for the song (I haven't atempted B or F yet). 

My question is this, when playing a song, do I keep to the beat and possibly hit a duff chord or do I ease up and make sure the chord is clean?

At the moment I'm starting to work on strumming patterns so if I did ease up I would mess up my strumming??

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Hit the chords clean or keep to timing?

My suggestion is to slow down the whole song to the speed of your slowest chord change.  Practice it with consistent timing throughout, even though it will be slower than the "right" way (meaning the recorded version).  Get the chord changes clean and neat and ringing true.  Speed will come.  If all you have is speed, you will never get clean.  You need to practice that precision.  If it's just one chord change in particular that vexes you, then practice that chord change only play the first chord then change to the second chord.  Or if there's a particular passage, then play just that passage.  Do it slowly and correctly.  Practice just that piece 100 times per night.  By the third night, you'll notice a HUGE improvement.  Then work it into the song - still going slowly.  Do that a few (dozen) times per night.  By the end of the second week, you'll have it sounding pretty good and you'll have learned yet another chord change down cold that you can use in any song with that change. 

For what it's worth. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with zurf...once your fingers get used to the correct clean position....you will get faster

Zurf's right. Slow the tune down if you need to but you must play with a regular predictable rhythm. If a chord change does not go well, be on time for the next one. Lay in wait for the problem chord and nail it next time around.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks, I'll slow everything down and ensure my strumming is constant.

I had a little breakthrough yesterday, I've been trying to speed up chord changes, obviously trying to lay all my fingers as quick as possible.  But last night, rather than concentrate on where all 3 fingers go (I don't use the pinky yet), I just focussed on where my first finger was supposed to go and to my surprise the other fingers just fell into place making changing quicker!

Cheers for the advice.

Crevs

Thanks to chordie I learned  that sometimes while changing chords it is ok to hit the strings open in between the chords you are changing to and from.This buys you a little time and actually sounds good on some songs.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hello Deadstring, funny you should say that.

I was "trying" to play Free Falling by Tom Petty last night and I was hitting the sequence G...C....CGD in the chorus and I was struggling to get from C to G and then D.  I then realised I think I was hitting the 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings open instead of the G and it sounded ok, whatever I was actually hitting.